Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Blame the consumer or the corporation? Detoxifying Toothpaste

jgnatca
jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
Yup, this is now a thing. The toothpaste foams up to better access in between the gums, and offers a cooling sensation when done.

https://crest.com/en-us/products/toothpaste/crest-gum-detoxify-deep-clean-toothpaste

But it's called "DETOXIFY DEEP CLEAN".

Obviously grabbing on to the coattails of pop culture, this toothpaste offers to DETOXIFY (help brush away the bacteria).

So who is at fault for the DETOXIFY urban legend? And how do you stop it once it starts? Are corporations culpable for contributing to the confusion?

Historically, toothpaste took off once it added wintergreen/spearmint. People got used to the idea that minty-fresh breath meant clean, and dental powder hit the dust.

http://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_718724

Replies

• jgnatca
    I know, terrible timing to start a topic. I'm going to bed and I'll check progress in the morning.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    Sorry, I don't have anything to say about the 'detoxify', but you did dredge up a pleasant memory of my childhood little pink and red tin of tooth powder. :)

Cheers, h.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,626 Member
    edited September 2018
    Bring on the minty fresh. I was helping my four-year-old clean her teeth this morning and got some of her toothpaste on my finger which I licked off - as you do. It was bubblegum flavour. WTH? So disgusting.

As to the detoxifying power of toothpaste... *insert eyeroll emoticon*

They need to shoot the ad person who came up with that.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    RonyMack wrote: »
    Wondering if anyone is going to try combining detox toothpaste with apple cider vinegar, and gulping it down. Maybe it will replace keto as the new diet fad.

Ah this made me gag a little bit. Unfortunately, I can see it happening.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    ...but is it gluten free?

Wait, that phase of consumerism has passed hasn't it?
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,469 Member
    Baking soda is so useful for so many cleaning projects!
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited September 2018
    Funny how there is absolutely no information on the page as far as active or even inactive ingredient...must be made of sunshine, puppy dogs, & rainbows
  • jgnatca
    I am laughing so hard here!

Look at the power of detox. It automatically opens wallets.

And baking soda is too rough. It’s like using 80 grit as a final finish. No thanks.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    edited September 2018
    So I bought this toothpaste (with a coupon!). Obviously not for the name :lol: but because I have been told I have "bad gums" since I was a child and wanted to see if it would help. I will say it does foam much more than other toothpastes and I feel like my gum line gets cleaner, but I am well aware that could for sure be all in my head. I will be asking my dentist next time I go if it is worth it or not.

The name is unfortunate, and I'm sure some people are buying it because "Detox!". Although a lot of the circles that promote detox also promote "natural" toothpaste, so I'm not sure how that plays out. Blame the consumer - the marketer is just giving them what they want and squeezing every last penny out of it until they move on to new key words. Buyer beware and all that :wink:
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    It has a silly name but I actually want to buy this toothpaste lol. I'm not blaming the marketer, they are in the business of making money, and people are in a "detoxify" kick right now.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    edited September 2018
    jgnatca wrote: »
    My cornstarch at the bulk place is now labelled “wheat free”. Lord give me strength.

During the last half of the 90s I worked at a grocery store, society was in its "Cholesterol Free!" stage. A woman came down the isle and started pulling out all these boxes of spaghetti, reading the front label, grunting/moaning, putting the box back on the shelf and grabbing another box to do the same thing. She finally says to me "DO YOU HAVE ANY SPAGHETTI WITH CHOLESTEROL? " I explained that it was just flour and none of them would have cholesterol in it.

(egg noodles would be the exception)
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    DoubleUbea wrote: »

I saw Italian Ice at Sam's Club that said Fat Free and Gluten Free on the box.

Found it on their website:

22vuqcmb4w1i.jpg
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    Not sure if marketing companies would be able to survive if they can't use fear and manipulation.

People would have to utilize facts and reason.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    DoubleUbea wrote: »

I saw Italian Ice at Sam's Club that said Fat Free and Gluten Free on the box.

Found it on their website:

Not arguing the fat free, but I think gluten free needs to become like peanut free, in that it means the product was made in a location where gluten is not processed. Be helpful for celiacs.

Just like a Mars bar is peanut free.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,702 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    So I bought this toothpaste (with a coupon!). Obviously not for the name :lol: but because I have been told I have "bad gums" since I was a child and wanted to see if it would help. I will say it does foam much more than other toothpastes and I feel like my gum line gets cleaner, but I am well aware that could for sure be all in my head. I will be asking my dentist next time I go if it is worth it or not.

The name is unfortunate, and I'm sure some people are buying it because "Detox!". Although a lot of the circles that promote detox also promote "natural" toothpaste, so I'm not sure how that plays out. Blame the consumer - the marketer is just giving them what they want and squeezing every last penny out of it until they move on to new key words. Buyer beware and all that :wink:

Same. I bought it because I wanted to try it and NOT to "detox". I laughed when I saw that on the label. I like how it foams and it feels good, but it's more expensive (gotta capitalize on "detox" on the label!). I'll only buy it again if it's on sale or with another coupon.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    "Theatricality and deception; powerful agents to the uninitiated"