Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Blame the consumer or the corporation? Detoxifying Toothpaste

Replies

• tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    edited September 2018
    I remember one of my first "Buyer Beware" moments. I compared Excedrin Migraine with Excedrin Extra Strength.

Same exact quantity, ingredients, and dosage. The Excedrin Migraine was priced a buck or two higher than the Extra Strength.

You were paying more for a box and bottle that said Migraine on it.

I think they are priced the same today. At least when I checked Walmart.com recently there was no difference.

Don't know if it was a difference in MSRP or if the retailer was pulling a fast one by charging more for the box.

But it woke me up to such games in the marketplace.
  • alicebhsia1
    alicebhsia1 Posts: 82 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I am laughing so hard here!

Look at the power of detox. It automatically opens wallets.

And baking soda is too rough. It’s like using 80 grit as a final finish. No thanks.

you know actually baking soda is much milder than toothpaste. if you google it it says baking soda is like a 1or a 7 where toothpaste is generally a 50-100 on the grittiness scale 100 being the more abrasive.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited September 2018
    I remember one of my first "Buyer Beware" moments. I compared Excedrin Migraine with Excedrin Extra Strength.

Same exact quantity, ingredients, and dosage. The Excedrin Migraine was priced a buck or two higher than the Extra Strength.

I think they are priced the same today. At least when I checked Walmart.com recently there was no difference.

Don't know if it was a difference in MSRP or if the retailer was pulling a fast one by charging more for the box.

This exactly...drives me insane how some stupid fancier new packaging & extra words can fool so many people. Read the label...it's marketing BS price mark ups. Just a waste of shelf space

Seen this a lot with Naproxen/ALEVE "back and muscle pain" (recent marketing BS)....(><)
    9mb29sh7dv3c.png

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    It shows where I live that I thought "wait people are lobbying for fluoride free toothpaste?" when I read the thread title. And yes, I realize that you can get toothpaste without fluoride.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I lost all respect for Brita when they ran the toilet flushing ad (corresponding with drinking tap water). I disagree that fear is an effective motivator. It incites mindless, instant action, but the results are unpredictable. And, also, crying wolf. In the long term it makes for a cynical consumer.
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    DoubleUbea wrote: »
    ...but is it gluten free?

Wait, that phase of consumerism has passed hasn't it?

I saw Italian Ice at Sam's Club that said Fat Free and Gluten Free on the box.

Found it on their website:

22vuqcmb4w1i.jpg

There's a shampoo ad at the moment where the "young cosmopolitan female" voiceover happily declares it to be gluten free. I wasn't aware they used flour in hair products. I roll my eyes every time it comes on.
  • jgnatca
    How about “clean” shampoo made with filtered water, as we shower out of the “filthy” tap?
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    DoubleUbea wrote: »
    ...but is it gluten free?

Wait, that phase of consumerism has passed hasn't it?

I saw Italian Ice at Sam's Club that said Fat Free and Gluten Free on the box.

Found it on their website:

22vuqcmb4w1i.jpg

There's a shampoo ad at the moment where the "young cosmopolitan female" voiceover happily declares it to be gluten free. I wasn't aware they used flour in hair products. I roll my eyes every time it comes on.

Wheat is a thickener in many, many hair products. And there are those individuals sensitive enough to react via skin contact as well.
  • RonyMack
    RonyMack Posts: 131 Member
    Wheat is a thickener in many, many hair products. And there are those individuals sensitive enough to react via skin contact as well.
    Uh-huh. and I suppose it'll throw you out of ketosis if you're doing low carb?

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    RonyMack wrote: »
    Uh-huh. and I suppose it'll throw you out of ketosis if you're doing low carb?

No but if you have celiac or a wheat allergy then you would be in a world of literal hurt.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    How about “clean” shampoo made with filtered water, as we shower out of the “filthy” tap?

I prefer low carb water.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Derpes wrote: »
    "Theatricality and deception; powerful agents to the uninitiated"

Yeah, but I can't research everything, so they're prolly gonna get me sooner or later.

Meh. There are only so many initiations a li'l ol' lady can tolerate.

;););)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member

The one I noticed is Carnation instant beakfast nutrition is exactly the same as regular Boost (made by same company) but is cheaper
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Multi-packs are not always cheaper than buying the same number of items individually. Example a three pack vs three single packs.
  • jgnatca

The one I noticed is Carnation instant beakfast nutrition is exactly the same as regular Boost (made by same company) but is cheaper

Initiated! O_o

• VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    If you have a bunch of toxins in your mouth, drop the fancy toothpaste and call poison control.

*Thinking on making "detoxifying water"*, exactly like regular water, but comes in fancy bottles and costs $9.99/liter.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    VUA21 wrote: »
    If you have a bunch of toxins in your mouth, drop the fancy toothpaste and call poison control.

*Thinking on making "detoxifying water"*, exactly like regular water, but comes in fancy bottles and costs $9.99/liter.

So you mean pH-water :wink:
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »

No, no, no... ionized, fortified pH water... get with the program, woman!!! :smiley:
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »

No, no, no... ionized, fortified pH water... get with the program, woman!!! :smiley:

As long as it's gluten free, I'm not worrying about my pH water being fortified - I'm getting everything I need in my superfood green shake. But I'm going to have to google the benefits of it being ionized.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    edited September 2018
    ccrdragon wrote: »

As long as it's gluten free, I'm not worrying about my pH water being fortified - I'm getting everything I need in my superfood green shake. But I'm going to have to google the benefits of it being ionized.

I don't know the supposed benefits myself, I just keep hearing this crap advertised on the radio in the mornings here lately.