Anyone cutting after a bulk?

Options

Replies

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    Tic78 wrote: »
    That’s interesting about the skulpt, hadn’t heard of them but had been considering buying a new bia scale, yes I know they aren’t accurate but I would like some semi decent way of tracking bodyfat.

I am dubious that a lot of these things work on some formula based on bmi and expected weights. Away to do some skulpt research!

Pretty strong linear correlation to BIA scale BF% to weight, have to think my scale (homedics brand) uses a formula and not very much BIA input.
    2qadw9zpr9bl.png

Here's the overall skulpt trend since 2015. I definitely don't use it as much as I should to get really good data, but the general trend you'd expect from going from zero to 300+ wilks score at roughly the same weight.

yvjgnctmlaoj.jpg

• Tic78
    Tic78 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing Steve, it certainly looks like a decent way to track the bf%. The reviews on Amazon uk are pretty mixed on the chisel but it reads as though it’s likely down to user error with people not continually taking readings from the same spot.
  • steveko89
    Options
    Tic78 wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing Steve, it certainly looks like a decent way to track the bf%. The reviews on Amazon uk are pretty mixed on the chisel but it reads as though it’s likely down to user error with people not continually taking readings from the same spot.

Yeah, there can definitely be variability in how readings are taken; time of day, time since workout, flexed/relaxed, and site variations can effect the numbers. Given the body part breakdown you can usually see if something is way off and can look at history for a specific area too, which gives a good indication if a scan is valid or not. Much like scale weight, consistency is key
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    [unless I had an important event... had to lean down quickly.

Debating if it's worth trying something like this for me this week. Certainly not in a bikini but I do have an event this weekend and I'm probably 7-10lbs heavier than I'd like to be (because it's pretty well documented I'm terrible at trying to cut). At 176.5 lbs by my moving average, I have a Skulpt and did a scan yesterday morning to compare to April; it said I've dropped to 12.8% BF from 13.8% in April and 15.4% in January (174 and 173.5 lbs averages on those days, respectively) so at least there's that. Overall, I certainly take those numbers with a grain of salt but the comparison at least indicates I'm moving in the right direction.

I'm averaging +177 cal/day over maintenance since 7/1 so I should just start lying and saying I'm lean bulking, seem to have that intake level on lockdown.

How do you like it? Do you think it's been more valuable for tracking trends than a BIA scale?

I like it quite a bit, I bought the v1 (which they called an AIM) on ebay for cheap and was fortunate enough to participate in the beta test of their v2 (the Chisel). It's easy to use, the app has gotten much more stable since it originally came out, and the battery life is pretty solid. It's definitely more time-consuming than a BIA scale but the multi-site scan (24 for a "full scan" and 3 for a "quick scan"). I also happen to have a BIA scale that I don't pay much attention to. I found a very distinct linear relationship between scale weight and body fat regardless of my lifting and/or attempted bulk/cut schedule that isn't represented by the skulpt data I've collected, which shows a pretty steady decline in body fat and increase in "muscle quality" (the other metric the platform uses) since June of 2015 right around when I started lifting. Overall it's said I've gone from 18.2% to 12.8%. I didn't think to take a photo yesterday morning, if there are interested parties I can take one tomorrow and post a series of progress pics compared to the skulpt numbers to see how everyone thinks they agree.

Comparison Data
    YESTERDAY: 178 lbs - 12.5% on scale, 12.8% on Skulpt
    1/17/18: 173.6 lbs - 11.6% on scale, 13.8% on Skulpt

I know single data points don't make a definitive trend but I put zero stock in my scale, and at least have some level of confidence in the skulpt's ability to track trends. I've not ever done a DEXA or anything more clinically credible for a comparison.

I'd be interested in the pictorial comparison.
  • steveko89
    Options
    [unless I had an important event... had to lean down quickly.

Debating if it's worth trying something like this for me this week. Certainly not in a bikini but I do have an event this weekend and I'm probably 7-10lbs heavier than I'd like to be (because it's pretty well documented I'm terrible at trying to cut). At 176.5 lbs by my moving average, I have a Skulpt and did a scan yesterday morning to compare to April; it said I've dropped to 12.8% BF from 13.8% in April and 15.4% in January (174 and 173.5 lbs averages on those days, respectively) so at least there's that. Overall, I certainly take those numbers with a grain of salt but the comparison at least indicates I'm moving in the right direction.

I'm averaging +177 cal/day over maintenance since 7/1 so I should just start lying and saying I'm lean bulking, seem to have that intake level on lockdown.

How do you like it? Do you think it's been more valuable for tracking trends than a BIA scale?

I like it quite a bit, I bought the v1 (which they called an AIM) on ebay for cheap and was fortunate enough to participate in the beta test of their v2 (the Chisel). It's easy to use, the app has gotten much more stable since it originally came out, and the battery life is pretty solid. It's definitely more time-consuming than a BIA scale but the multi-site scan (24 for a "full scan" and 3 for a "quick scan"). I also happen to have a BIA scale that I don't pay much attention to. I found a very distinct linear relationship between scale weight and body fat regardless of my lifting and/or attempted bulk/cut schedule that isn't represented by the skulpt data I've collected, which shows a pretty steady decline in body fat and increase in "muscle quality" (the other metric the platform uses) since June of 2015 right around when I started lifting. Overall it's said I've gone from 18.2% to 12.8%. I didn't think to take a photo yesterday morning, if there are interested parties I can take one tomorrow and post a series of progress pics compared to the skulpt numbers to see how everyone thinks they agree.

Comparison Data
    YESTERDAY: 178 lbs - 12.5% on scale, 12.8% on Skulpt
    1/17/18: 173.6 lbs - 11.6% on scale, 13.8% on Skulpt

I know single data points don't make a definitive trend but I put zero stock in my scale, and at least have some level of confidence in the skulpt's ability to track trends. I've not ever done a DEXA or anything more clinically credible for a comparison.

I'd be interested in the pictorial comparison.

I'm off Friday so I'll have time to do another full scan and take photos first thing in the morning. I'll start a separate thread so to not completely highjack this one, and post a link to it here for those interested.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    SW: 182.5
    Week 1:181.8
    Week 2: 180.3
    Week 3: 179.4
    Week 4: 179.0
    Week 5: 180.1
    Week 6: 179.0

Thinking I might scale down my refeeds a bit and increase exercise on my non - gym days to get back to 1 lb a week. Overall, I am happy with the increase in definition, but hoping to get down into the low 170s by the time I go to Disney in the first week of Nov.

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone is still doing well. :) Anyone moving on to bulking now, or soon?

I am currently on a bit of a diet break for two weeks. I am eating around maintenance right now since I am not living at home and I don't have access to my home gym (only lighter weights, bands).

I keep going back and forth if I should just stay with maintaining (to recomp, not even sure it would work for me at this point?) or keep cutting. Since I won't be running a bulk this fall/winter, there really isn't a huge reason for me to get ultra lean. I would still like to lower my bodyfat% but I like my shape and wouldn't mind building a little more muscle. Not sure what I should do. :/

• psuLemon
    Options

I am currently on a bit of a diet break for two weeks. I am eating around maintenance right now since I am not living at home and I don't have access to my home gym (only lighter weights, bands).

I keep going back and forth if I should just stay with maintaining (to recomp, not even sure it would work for me at this point?) or keep cutting. Since I won't be running a bulk this fall/winter, there really isn't a huge reason for me to get ultra lean. I would still like to lower my bodyfat% but I like my shape and wouldn't mind building a little more muscle. Not sure what I should do. :/

I am going to cut until Disney, move to maintenance for that week and then cut until I am around 10%. At that point, I plan on reassessing whether I want to and have time to bulk or just keep there for awhile.
  • sardelsa
    edited September 2018
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

I am going to cut until Disney, move to maintenance for that week and then cut until I am around 10%. At that point, I plan on reassessing whether I want to and have time to bulk or just keep there for awhile.

Nice! That sounds like a great plan. I don't remember, have you run a bulk before or would that be your first one?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Nice! That sounds like a great plan. I don't remember, have you run a bulk before or would that be your first one?

This would be my first official cut. I have gained some weight back while weight training.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    I would love to bulk after I lose weight. how often do you need to train before you start noticing your muscles deflating? That would stress me out.

You look awesome btw OP.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    I would love to bulk after I lose weight. how often do you need to train before you start noticing your muscles deflating? That would stress me out.

You look awesome btw OP.

Thanks!

Not sure what you mean by muscles deflating, do you mean losing the water they carry? I mean if I take a few days off training, usually around 3-4 or more, I start to notice looking more flat. It could be all in my head though, and I'm sure everyone is different
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options

You look awesome btw OP.

Thanks!

Not sure what you mean by muscles deflating, do you mean losing the water they carry? I mean if I take a few days off training, usually around 3-4 or more, I start to notice looking more flat. It could be all in my head though, and I'm sure everyone is different

What do you do for your legs and glutes?

I’m still in the process of losing weight I can’t wait to start working on my muscles.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

You look awesome btw OP.

Thanks!

I’m still in the process of losing weight I can’t wait to start working on my muscles.

You don't need to (and shouldn't) wait until you've finished losing weight to start strength training. Strong Curves is a great programme for building legs and glutes, and there is an at home bodyweight version if you prefer to not go to a gym. E-book version is cheap as chips (mmmm, chips...).
  • sardelsa
    Options

You look awesome btw OP.

Thanks!

Start now!!! Lifting as you lose will help preserve muscle and give you definition.

I lift when losing, maintaining, gaining, when I'm pregnant.. always!

I recommend following Strong Curves or anything Bret Contreras, which is what I did/do
  • AmbitiousButRubbish
    Options
    So currently sitting around 133lbs. I haven't been weighing regularly, also due to my decrease in workout volume my weight dropped so I know it's not actual fat loss.

But here is my progress right now. I'm going to be heading into maintenance very soon, hopefully!

lzlpzb0wi180.jpg

Impressive as always.
  • showjack70
    showjack70 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Currently cutting after an accidental bulk. :/:/
  • showjack70
    showjack70 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    showjack70 wrote: »
    Currently cutting after an accidental bulk. :/:/