Arms

Options

Replies

• fitlulu4150
    fitlulu4150 Posts: 1,371 Member
    Options
    LOL OP listen to AnnPT77. Women gain muscle and lose fat much differently than men and there's the possibility that your arms will still be larger than you want after you lose the weight you want, that's assuming your goal is to lose weight. You can gain strength by working those arms but the definition will come when you lose the weight. Don't wait to lift until you've lost the weight though, start now. They won't magically become larger because you're lifting weights and working those muscles.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I have inherited bigger arms from my grandmother to the point where the right size blouse can be a problem in the arms being too tight. I think weight loss will help. I also use 5lb hand weights. I don't know if they will help, but they will help to protect my bones from osteoporosis. I have no science to offer you or even an expert opinion. It's just what I am doing.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,127 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Gotta say it: It wouldn't be an MFP women's weight training thread without a group of guys getting in a dispute about what the women ought to do. (Expertise knows no genger, but neither does irony.)

OP, running a reasonable, well-designed weight training program while you lose weight is a good idea. You can pick one with a rep range that fits your goals best, for strength or endurance vs. gaining mass. Any good program will have you start at a weight that's achievable for you, and progress gradually as you're able. You'll for sure get stronger, if you stick with it. Learn about programs here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

As a woman you're unlikely to add bulk quickly under any circumstances, so you can always back off and maintain when you get strong enough (whatever that is to you) or if you feel like you're slowly starting to add more mass than you prefer.

However, for weight loss you'll be in a calorie deficit, and that will further limit any chances of gaining mass (intentionally or by accident ;) ), so that really shouldn't be a big worry for quite some time. You might want to be aware that you can retain a little water weight in muscles you've worked hard (for muscle repair), so you could temporarily get a little bit of an extra fullness of appearance, but it's neither fat nor muscle, so not worth worrying about. As time passes and fat loss continues, it will reduce.

I predict that even if your arms are naturally a little meatier, genetically speaking, you'll find that they slim down as you lose overall body fat, though they may be among the last areas to lose much fat if that's how your personal genetic program works.

This will be a bit of a slow process on both strength and weight loss fronts, but I'll predict you can get gratifyingly stronger, and achieve an appearance you can be proud of. :)

All of this. <3

Ann, thus far: 1 insightful. 4 likes and a hug. I post, simply AGREEING with everything she said. 4 woos.

Proof it doesn't matter what you say on here.

:flowerforyou:

Sometimes it just helps to be a cute (?) li'l ol' lady. ;)

But, FWIW, people seem to woo my food posts a lot for some reason. <shrug>
  • kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    LOL OP listen to AnnPT77.

I couldn't agree more. I find Ann's advice and counsel, spot on.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Grambo54 wrote: »
    Oh yeh, your'e so much better now than the dark ages, 70's or 80's crowd. You know it all (you think), and it shows by your use of demeaning language. Hows it working for y'all, knowing "how things work".

Pretty well, actually.

Ditto.

Due to the things said in this thread, I feel the need to say that my profile pic is sarcastic. Lift all the heavy things.
    w7p31eixlydj.jpg

OMG! How did you do that without getting suppa bulky??? :p

rvpjpy6caisw.gif

😂😂😂😂
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Grambo54 wrote: »
    Oh yeh, your'e so much better now than the dark ages, 70's or 80's crowd. You know it all (you think), and it shows by your use of demeaning language. Hows it working for y'all, knowing "how things work".

Ask much as I don't agree this the advice given by Grambo on this thread I think the fact that the above post has been flagged twice as "abuse" is a sad indictment of the forum.

Anyone care to share why you felt so offended by that post that you felt the need to report it?

Are we not grown up here?

I agree. To flag that post as abuse is ridiculous. I don't see it as an indictment of the forum though. There are lots of people here and some come with their own sets of issues. FTR, I was also not 9ne who flagged it.
  • 883xlsportster
    883xlsportster Posts: 221 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I do high rep, light weight all the time. Old crappy shoulders. How else am I going to tone up?