Arms

Options
Spoilascanb
Spoilascanb Posts: 40 Member
I have just gotten into loosing weight, eating healthy, and exercising. However, my arms are extremely large. They don’t seem to go with my body. My arms are hereditary. Everyone on my dad’s side have extremely large arms.
I have heard I needed to do extreme weight lifting, but as large as my arms are I have no strength in them. I can barely do the minimum.
Help!

Replies

• Rose18l
    Rose18l Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Is it muscle or fat? In case of fat it will come off when you lose more weight. You can't spot reduce so if you lift it will grow the muscles underneath which might firm your arms but won't make them much smaller.
  • Spoilascanb
    edited September 2018
    Options
    @Rose18l I would say 1/2 and 1/2
    I will post a picture
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    What is extreme weight lifting and why would that help you reduce your arms?
  • Spoilascanb
    Options
    @Chieflrg lifting heavy. My arms are naturally big. Fat not muscle with no strength

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I agree, you will lose fat in them as you lose weight over all, but I do also think lifting weights will help them (well, all of your body) look better over all.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I used to have little stick figure arms, very weak and flabby, and then P90X kind of fixed that, and I get compliments on how nice my arms look. So, try some kind of program like that, something already designed for full upper body that is going to build muscle in an overall balanced way...you can start with light weights and then move up as you get stronger, and don't worry about size, if you make them strong and balanced then they will look nice.
  • LiveInLeggings
    LiveInLeggings Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Grambo54 wrote: »
    Dont lift heavy!!! Why do you want strength when strength will increase your arm size? Do 2 light sets each of about 20 reps for triceps and 20 reps for biceps twice a week. ie light toning. The only way to reduce your arm bulk is reducing overall ie losing bodyfat weight over your whole body. Lots of ladies have the same problem with upper legs/hips/glutes and yes, back and arms. But you can work on your body proportions by building up elsewhere, while at the same time losing overall including your arm bulk. Its not easy but you can make the best of your genetics.

Ignore the bolded - it's bro advice straight out of bro-ville, and completely ridiculous. Reputable trainers stopped giving that kind of advice some time in the 1970s.

There is no such thing as "toning", except in attention-grabbing titles on the cover of women's magazines. As others have said, if the size on your arms is mostly fat, it will reduce in size as you lose weight, but you can't "spot reduce" from your arms (or any other part of your body).

Read these two articles instead (read the second one all the way through before taking the advice seriously!):

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/muscle-tone/

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/toning-workout-for-women/

723o43lmnyv3.png
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    Grambo54 wrote: »
    Dont lift heavy!!! Why do you want strength when strength will increase your arm size? Do 2 light sets each of about 20 reps for triceps and 20 reps for biceps twice a week. ie light toning. The only way to reduce your arm bulk is reducing overall ie losing bodyfat weight over your whole body. Lots of ladies have the same problem with upper legs/hips/glutes and yes, back and arms. But you can work on your body proportions by building up elsewhere, while at the same time losing overall including your arm bulk. Its not easy but you can make the best of your genetics.

Lifting in a caloric deficit is not going to magically give her crazy biceps, it is simply going to preserve any muscle that she already has while losing weight. Every piece of advice I see you give is extremely outdated and based on myth and broscience instead of fact. You need to stop reading Cosmo and start reading some articles actually backed by science.

Agreed!!!