Very stupid question.

Options
I would like to ask what I think is a stupid question. I was binge eater before I lost my weight. I only knew two feelings with appetite. Full or stuffed. I am still trying to figure out how sated feels. I know it is subjective, but would love to know what other people's experiences are. I believe that I have more in common with this forum than with the general forum, so that's why I posted it here.

Thanks,
D

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    @psychod787
    No such thing as a “very stupid question”!!! This is an important one!!

Amazing that your question came at this point in time, as I’m trying to figure this out, too.

I get very unclear hunger & satiety signals, too. The only time I had them was when I was pregnant. I knew when to eat & when to stop - by the half bite. A clear on and off switch. When I was obese, I ate two large meals (can relate to full/stomach hurting(stuffed) signaling.)

I did try once or twice to wait until I got hungry, but I wouldn’t get hungry- I would get very tired/slight headache...

So, as I was losing weight, I set up meals & general meal times & stuck to them during my weight loss. Hardly ever felt hungry. Finished all foods planned for each meal, again never hungry/never full.

But in the past 2-4 weeks, as my BMI has dropped into the 23’s from a high of 34, I’ve been getting more signals from my tummy. Not sure if they are hunger or not. But not comfortable. Like a gnawing. Also a verrry slight headache & fatigue. I still made the same meals, but found after eating 1/3-1/2, I’d have been happy to stop eating. So, I would save the remainder & eat it when I was hungry again 1-3 hours later.

Then I started feeling these signals before bed so I added some nuts.

I still lost weight (3 lbs in 3 weeks, September) Thinking I should slow this down further... I’ve been exercising 72-80 mins daily for 5 months.

This morning I had a new development: I woke up with the same sensation, woke me up & kept me awake. I got some hot tea and 10 g of raw almonds, attempting to wait to regular breakfast time.

So, I’m open to suggestions. Did anyone experience this as you got closer to goal weight? I’m shooting for 150 per doctor BMI 22.5, currently 157-158. 5’8.5” BMI 23.6-7

How do you manage things?

@cmriverside @kommodevaran
    From your posts, it sounds like you do what I have been doing: Know what our body needs, and follow that, rather than signals that are elusive??

I’m also looking at my trends in macros/micros for clues!

Thanks- you are all very inspiring to me!

I am currently too lean myself. Sub 10%... by accident and stupidity. When that happened my hunger just went nuts! I understand it.
  • peggym4640
    peggym4640 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I learned my hunger signals when I started to work out in the morning. I didn't have time to eat breakfast before work and many times would not be able to eat until lunch. It was helpful for me to learn the feeling in my body that was truly hunger and what wasn't.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I have my own potentially stupid question...

When I binged, I absolutely knew that was what I was doing and that it wasn't real hunger. My flaw wasn't not knowing, it was not caring during episodes. My question - Is that uncommon in binge eaters?

I always thought it was common and the hunger thing was just a lie we told the world and sometimes ourselves, but deep down most of us knew exactly what we were doing. Even now, when I have a day where I go over by several hundred (like yesterday), I knew it wasn't real hunger. So far I have had the discipline to put the brakes on before it gets too far and then make up for it with some deficit days, but it does worry me that I still knowingly eat high calorie foods when I am already at or over goal.

So I don't worry so much about what satiety feels like or what truly hungry feels like. I try to be vigilant and catch the thought process that makes me ignore how I feel with regard to hunger.

Well... I just ate until I was overstuffed. I didn't care how calorically dense the food was. There were days I would, in retro, eat 8000+ calories.