Do you workout after a 12 hr shift

Options
Hi All

Just wanted to know if you all workout after a 12 hr shift or do you workout on your days off only or on the days you work?

Thanks

Replies

• ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I used to work 12 hr shifts - sometimes night shifts at the Hospital - It was a 900 bed hospital & I covered the whole place so I did a lot of walking. That was enough - on my days off I lifted & ate.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    When I worked 12 hour shifts on night shift (6pm to 6 am), I would go when I woke up around 2 pm.

When I worked dayshift, though, I just couldn't do it. I only worked out on my days off.
  • NSthingoldline
    NSthingoldline Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am fortunate to have access to a gym (although small) here at the office. We are allowed to eat at our workstations so I use the gym during my meal break and eat afterwards.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I used to eat at my desk while working and do my exercise in my breaks or on my off shift days.

(Had a long commute either end of my shift so I didn't want to elongate my time away from home.)
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I work 12 hour shifts rotating from days and nights. I do bodyweight circuit training at work and run, mountain bike or kayak on my days off.
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I typically get up at 5AM and get my workout in. I know if I work a 11-13 hour day, there's no way in hell I'm going to want to work out once I get home. So, I just ingrain it into my normal routine, and now I don't ever really think twice about it.

But everyone has so many variables and preferences - so it's no surprise that you'll probably get a variety of different answers! :)
  • From9five
    From9five Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I go before, its difficult to wake up early but i like to workout first thing in the morning when im fresh. That way no matter what happens at work(12 hour shifts are pretty regular for me as well) i can at least be happy i hit the gym. After a long shift, especially if the day was horrible, i find myself just going thru the motions instead of actually training hard.
  • tholden4
    tholden4 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I work 3 12 hr day shifts. I'm out of the door at 5:15 am and at the gym at 9pm. I do this at least one day a week so I can
    Train at least 5 days. I usually just lift that day to cut my time to a minum. It's not easy but for me necessary
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    When I wasn't retired, I would just train before work since the job was very physical. If I could, I would shift days to the days I had off. No biggie.
  • kellsey4955
    kellsey4955 Posts: 19 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I find it very hard to work it after a 12/14 hour shift, just try to fit lots of walking around and calorie control!
  • lizalmp1234
    lizalmp1234 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input
  • ltryon90
    ltryon90 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    No, I could not work out on my 12 nights plus a long commute, turns into 14hr. I get more than 15,000 steps so I think I'm good.
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I think it is also important to think about what you can do over the long haul. Even if fit, getting older slows ya down some. And what type of work are you doing? Nurses will certainly get in plenty of exercise in a 12 hour shift, if working in a hospital. My sister, a nurse practitioner, works 12 hour shifts in a walk-in clinic and still gets in 10k to 15 k/day. She is over 60 and works out on her days off. Now if someone sits at a desk for 12 hours--might be worth getting in a short workout those days, just to prevent blood clots! Or get an under-the-desk pedal machine.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    mkculs wrote: »
    I think it is also important to think about what you can do over the long haul. Even if fit, getting older slows ya down some. And what type of work are you doing? Nurses will certainly get in plenty of exercise in a 12 hour shift, if working in a hospital. My sister, a nurse practitioner, works 12 hour shifts in a walk-in clinic and still gets in 10k to 15 k/day. She is over 60 and works out on her days off. Now if someone sits at a desk for 12 hours--might be worth getting in a short workout those days, just to prevent blood clots! Or get an under-the-desk pedal machine.

I'll second this. And blood clots are no joke (experience....sadly..... :neutral: )
  • slowgopogo
    slowgopogo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I try to work out on my lunch breaks on the days that I work longer hours. If I don't think I'll get a lunch break burn in I'll make sure I work out before work...even if it's just a 15 or 20 minute workout and then I'll opt for a HIIT or Tabata routine to burn the max amount of calories in that short period.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Rarely; a little cardio before 12+ hour shifts (more so as a morning ritual to feel awake)...I struggle to eat close to TDEE of work days (~4,000kcal) so I try to minimize exercise on work days.
  • jodiobenchain0402
    Options
    I try to workout before 😁
  • lizalmp1234
    lizalmp1234 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    thank you all
  • 0nmiwei
    0nmiwei Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    No, I walk a ton at work and usually my 12 hour turns into 13 plus a 45 min drive to and from work. I might stretch out but that's about it.