• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Wheel = backbend
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    it is less stress too. my body is not a fan of wheel, my back flexibility is very limited. cartwheel is "easier"

wheel
    xbibnqlnqcmb.png
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Can anyone tell me why GMB suggests bailing out using a cartwheel instead of just wheel if you overshoot or lose your balance?

It's a lot safer and less scary. But whatever works for you. I don't technically cartwheel out of mine as I keep my hands on the ground, it's cartwheel-esque. I just go off to the side. Always the right side for me.

Ok the carwheel-esque bail out is what I have been practicing during my handstand training session, It does feel less scary. I've also started adding a sorta kinda cartwheel type thing for my headstand and I finally feel less scared to do a headstand away from the wall, actually I did my first yesterday!

For me as well it feels like it should be bailing on the right but the only wall available in the house does not allow me to go to the right :(.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I can actually breathe a bit now while doing hollowback. :)
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    I feel like I've made a lot of progress lately. I've really been working on my shoulder and thoracic mobility which is helping, but I've started just concentrating on getting my hips above my shoulders. So instead of kicking legs straight up overhead, I push off just enough to get my hips stacked, usually with one leg up and then slowly bring my legs together. It's feeling so natural and I can consistently balance for at least 10 seconds or so. Yesterday while waiting on my hubby to finish a phone call I kicked up first time into a 20sec handstand. I love it when that happens.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    i can't do it consistently but i am getting to kick up and not use the wall. holding for a few seconds.
  • Orphia
    Options
    I feel like I've made a lot of progress lately. I've really been working on my shoulder and thoracic mobility which is helping, but I've started just concentrating on getting my hips above my shoulders. So instead of kicking legs straight up overhead, I push off just enough to get my hips stacked, usually with one leg up and then slowly bring my legs together. It's feeling so natural and I can consistently balance for at least 10 seconds or so. Yesterday while waiting on my hubby to finish a phone call I kicked up first time into a 20sec handstand. I love it when that happens.

So awesome. I must work on that! :heart:

I'm happy today. I've been doing 5 minutes daily handstand practice for 3 months now. Love this challenge so much.
  • Orphia
    Options
    @mom23mangos WOW!!!!! :o<3
  • TiisTitanium
    TiisTitanium Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    @mom23mangos - very impressive!!

Glad to see this thread is still going even though I have been slack on the handstand during my holidays especially as I tore my hamstring playing a party game involving a cardboard boxes and doing middle splits.

I was back at my flexibility class and my handstands have gone backwards due to lack of practice, no upper exercise for nearly 4 weeks and the aforementioned hamstring injury that makes kicking up (and coming down) painful.

Time to get back to daily practice I think - i want my handstands back.

• Orphia
    Options
    @mom23mangos - very impressive!!

Glad to see this thread is still going even though I have been slack on the handstand during my holidays especially as I tore my hamstring playing a party game involving a cardboard boxes and doing middle splits.

I was back at my flexibility class and my handstands have gone backwards due to lack of practice, no upper exercise for nearly 4 weeks and the aforementioned hamstring injury that makes kicking up (and coming down) painful.

Time to get back to daily practice I think - i want my handstands back.

Hugs!

How's your hamstring now?

When I was being cautious, I was doing other arm balances such as crow and firefly, and headstands. Maybe you can think of others to do too.
  • TiisTitanium
    TiisTitanium Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Orphia. Hamstring is still sore but I have been googling rehab things to do and forcing myself not to do many things until it is better so hopefully it will come good soon. i have rejigged my routine a little over the coming weeks with a little more ballet and a little less circus until things calm down.
  • Orphia
    Options
    I've had a sore hamstring too, from pointing my toe and jiggling my leg too much before raising my first foot.

Had to change the way I do things a bit.

Hope yours is better.

I wanted to ask... I mostly do this thing when practicing. Has it got a name?:

dzazmr4xezdw.jpeg
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    ^ Shoulder stand
  • mbaker566
    Options
    yup shoulder stand
    wxq4uuhz20wu.png
  • Orphia
    Options
    Thanks very much both of you!
  • Orphia
    Options
    13 second handstand today, yay!

https://youtu.be/iSWsQufMRes
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    How's everyone doing? My shoulders are slowly getting more open. I can now lock my elbows somewhat when I handstand and when I can stick it, my average hold is around 30sec now. But I'm still around a 1 out of 3 to 5 attempts that I can stick it. It's really felt great lately though when I find that sweet spot where it's virtually effortless to hold.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    i've taken a month off of teaching and i can't say i've kept up with my practice.
    i'll be starting again next week