The middle agers group. (Upper 30s,40s & 50ish folks)

Options

Replies

• nsomamooka
    nsomamooka Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Still middle-aged! Please add me. I am in my 50s.
  • dkjk1105
    dkjk1105 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday M'agers! Enjoy those workouts.
  • Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    dkjk1105 wrote: »
    Happy Saturday M'agers! Enjoy those workouts.

Done and dusted. Time to chill out. 🍻
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Saturday Part 1 - Mowed the lawn.

More to come.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday.
    I've been up since 7. Alison just can't sleep in anymore it seems
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    No problem Steve. I read something last year that I wish I had known when I was changing. It was actually a weight loss article related to habits and I think it's so true. It was a study. If people try to change just one thing at a time for a month to 6 weeks, they have an 80% chance of success. If they try to change two or more things, the success rate drops below 40%.

New people on here nearly always take on too much - logging, cutting back calories and working out. That's THREE habits at once to change. Just start with logging/weighing everything. That's a win in itself!

If I had to do everything over again I'd apply this. Just log everything for the first month. Build that habit, then perhaps take out one or two things I ate that were calorie bombs the next month, then perhaps add in movement the next month, even if for just two/three days a week. Build one habit at a time. Get them down, move on. When I look back at nearly 10 years, that's all it was. One habit at a time. Had setbacks, just kept trying. If I can do it anyone can.

@MikePfirrman - Your story resonates with me. I struggled with weight gain as an adult, reaching 235lbs and 34% BF at 54years old in 2011, when I finally made the decision to make weight loss my priority. I started with a trainer and MFP and just stuck with it. I lost about 45 lbs over the first year, then kept chipping away at it for another 10lbs over the next year. As the weight came off, I resumed running and began to dabble in endurance sports. These new activities have replaced my old sedentary lifestyle. An unexpected bonus has been the very active group of friends my wife and I have made through my participation in racing and training.

So I agree with your assessment that anyone can do it. Its very simple, yet it is not easy. The key is to Just Keep Going...

I'd also second your suggestion about making only one change at a time. There's a very interesting book by Charles Duhigg, titled "The Power of Habit" that outlines why we do what we do, and how lasting change comes from making new habits. Its worth a read for anyone wondering how to make a change and have it stick.

Thanks, I appreciate it. Good for you, too!! That's really impressive! It's odd but fun with the new lifestyles, isn't it?? I've heard of that book and not bought it, but read passages from it. Even though I've lost the weight, I try to apply some of these strategies now to my small business and it's helped in other areas, not just related to weight. But I think, for beginners, it can be very overwhelming.

My wife and I are moving to an "Active Adult" community next year. Not sure in our early to mid 40s we could have been able to enjoy it. It feels so amazing to have not just the energy for chores/work, but to enjoy life differently. We've taken up golf too.

@ Slimgirljo - thanks, but she's pretty amazing for me too and now I have her old self back, so well worth the sacrifice on food. Also, ironically, I found out later that I react worse (by accidentally eating things with gluten/wheat) than she does, so by me changing, I might have helped myself more than her. She can eat gluten easier than dairy but feels better without it. If I eat anything wheat, even a beer, I'm miserable. I've been allergic to grass (badly) all my life. Should have probably put that together years ago that wheat is a type of grass. So we're quite the pair now, I'm emphasizing no wheat and her no dairy when we go out. It is amazing how much healthier you eat when you eliminate those two things and fried food. Pretty much makes calorie counting nearly unnecessary! We are back to eating the occasional goat/sheep and A2/A2 cow dairy. She doesn't react to those (different proteins). I've even found a Goat Mozz that tastes like the real thing. That on an Udi's pizza crust and you think you're eating a great pizza. About the only thing I really miss is malt flavor (made from barley, a grass). We can pretty much figure out how to make everything else if we want it bad enough.

@ yukfoo - I'm getting closer myself! These 60, 70 and even 80 year old Pickleballers are crushing my wife and I. There are two guys at our local club -- one is 86 and the other 84 and they play 5 days a week!
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    No problem Steve. I read something last year that I wish I had known when I was changing. It was actually a weight loss article related to habits and I think it's so true. It was a study. If people try to change just one thing at a time for a month to 6 weeks, they have an 80% chance of success. If they try to change two or more things, the success rate drops below 40%.

New people on here nearly always take on too much - logging, cutting back calories and working out. That's THREE habits at once to change. Just start with logging/weighing everything. That's a win in itself!

If I had to do everything over again I'd apply this. Just log everything for the first month. Build that habit, then perhaps take out one or two things I ate that were calorie bombs the next month, then perhaps add in movement the next month, even if for just two/three days a week. Build one habit at a time. Get them down, move on. When I look back at nearly 10 years, that's all it was. One habit at a time. Had setbacks, just kept trying. If I can do it anyone can.

@MikePfirrman - Your story resonates with me. I struggled with weight gain as an adult, reaching 235lbs and 34% BF at 54years old in 2011, when I finally made the decision to make weight loss my priority. I started with a trainer and MFP and just stuck with it. I lost about 45 lbs over the first year, then kept chipping away at it for another 10lbs over the next year. As the weight came off, I resumed running and began to dabble in endurance sports. These new activities have replaced my old sedentary lifestyle. An unexpected bonus has been the very active group of friends my wife and I have made through my participation in racing and training.

So I agree with your assessment that anyone can do it. Its very simple, yet it is not easy. The key is to Just Keep Going...

I'd also second your suggestion about making only one change at a time. There's a very interesting book by Charles Duhigg, titled "The Power of Habit" that outlines why we do what we do, and how lasting change comes from making new habits. Its worth a read for anyone wondering how to make a change and have it stick.

Thanks, I appreciate it. Good for you, too!! That's really impressive! It's odd but fun with the new lifestyles, isn't it?? I've heard of that book and not bought it, but read passages from it. Even though I've lost the weight, I try to apply some of these strategies now to my small business and it's helped in other areas, not just related to weight. But I think, for beginners, it can be very overwhelming.

My wife and I are moving to an "Active Adult" community next year. Not sure in our early to mid 40s we could have been able to enjoy it. It feels so amazing to have not just the energy for chores/work, but to enjoy life differently. We've taken up golf too.

@ Slimgirljo - thanks, but she's pretty amazing for me too and now I have her old self back, so well worth the sacrifice on food. Also, ironically, I found out later that I react worse (by accidentally eating things with gluten/wheat) than she does, so by me changing, I might have helped myself more than her. She can eat gluten easier than dairy but feels better without it. If I eat anything wheat, even a beer, I'm miserable. I've been allergic to grass (badly) all my life. Should have probably put that together years ago that wheat is a type of grass. So we're quite the pair now, I'm emphasizing no wheat and her no dairy when we go out. It is amazing how much healthier you eat when you eliminate those two things and fried food. Pretty much makes calorie counting nearly unnecessary! We are back to eating the occasional goat/sheep and A2/A2 cow dairy. She doesn't react to those (different proteins). I've even found a Goat Mozz that tastes like the real thing. That on an Udi's pizza crust and you think you're eating a great pizza. About the only thing I really miss is malt flavor (made from barley, a grass). We can pretty much figure out how to make everything else if we want it bad enough.

@ yukfoo - I'm getting closer myself! These 60, 70 and even 80 year old Pickleballers are crushing my wife and I. There are two guys at our local club -- one is 86 and the other 84 and they play 5 days a week!

Well it looks like you've made a healthy life with your lovely lady, but better still a happy one.
    Nice to see couples who truly care about each other. 🙂
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »

More to come.

Part 2 - Trimmed the hedge.

Total of 1.25 + 3.5 = 4.75hrs or 315 minutes outdoors today.
  • beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,910 Member
    Options

More to come.

Part 2 - Trimmed the hedge.

Total of 1.25 + 3.5 = 4.75hrs or 315 minutes outdoors today.

Good job!
  • SilverBack_200
    SilverBack_200 Posts: 12 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    46. had some success before with MFP, quitting logging & disciplined eating, progress stopped & some reversion (gain back). Process works when I’m disciplined enough to work the process —-> so I’m back.
  • mojorowe88
    mojorowe88 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wow your beautiful
  • Ralphone
    Ralphone Posts: 1,836 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday all enjoy your day whether you're working out or just kicking back.day off for me
  • dkjk1105
    dkjk1105 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Much needed off day today, actually got to sleep until 6am. Have a great Sunday all!
  • Anna022119
    Options
    Managed to sleep till 7 am today. That's been a while. Happy Sunday y'all. Back to running errands.
  • LeGypsyRov
    LeGypsyRov Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hello! 54 here, probably at the tail end of the middle-age group. Hope you all are doing well and meeting your goals!
  • Anna022119
    Options
    LeGypsyRov wrote: »
    Hello! 54 here, probably at the tail end of the middle-age group. Hope you all are doing well and meeting your goals!

Welcome to the madhouse 😊
  • JPinCP
    JPinCP Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello All! I'm 38 from Texas. Looking for more like minded friends. I have reset everything today looking to start fresh. I am going to drop 60lbs. Please feel free to join me.

Justin
  • PurpleSnapDragon
    Options
    Looking for new friends to share and continue my journey with. Been using MFP for a year. I have a new account for a fresh start. Feel free to add me.
  • TrayMGray
    TrayMGray Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. Restarted my account. daily logger.