Weird weight loss problem

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    I live in Italy where people are thinner, and chubby kids do feel left out. I believe it's better to do something when they're younger. I would not tell her that I think she's overweight, I'd just quietly cut her portions a bit and add more protein. If she's swimming, she's going to be hungry after and needs to fuel those workouts (I swim). You can do your best at home, but when she's on her own she'll have to have her own initiative. I'm an American living in Italy, so understand, that's why you're getting push-back. You're right, the mentality is different. However, you're the mother and know your daughter. I have grown sons, unfortunately, you won't know if you've done the right thing for a long time. That's parenting.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    My daughter has a problem with her legs and is right at the top of the normal range (our doctors use a wide "normal" area with a bit of red top and bottom of the curve for those with definite weight issues)

She's weighed regularly by her consultants and not once have they ever passed comment on her weight

As her mother I've explained anytime/ sometimes foods as if she had it her way she would live on cake and chocolate

My daughter wears splints to her knees because of her limb problems. The orthotics department make new ones if she out grows the old ones, they don't tell her to go lose weight
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    VeryKatie wrote: »

I dont understand why no other treatment for her foot has been prescribed. And if she has muscle, she should never get to the low end of her BMI, she would be far more unhealthy. Sounds also like she has a negative body image already, and that's not something I would encourage to make worse.

As someone with foot issues requiring surgery, I'm here. No cortisone, no anti-inflammatories, no walking boot? Her body is still developing at 15, even if she's reached her adult height, and she needs calories to do that.

And even if weight loss is the needed treatment, you're giving her a deficit that is too big, she's hungry, and she's sneaking food.
  • If she is a healthy weight and exercising, I don't think her foot problems are because of her weight. I'd look into other causes. I think you are pushing her too hard. If she was overweight I would agree with what you are doing. The bottom of the healthy bmi range is very small too unless you have very little muscle and a small frame.
  • sawyeram wrote: »
    If she's worried about how the "fat" looks you may want to consider starting her on a weight lifting program. Swimming is a great cardio workout but doesn't help so much with muscle development.

Totally agree.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    going from how you have discribe her figure you relly shouldnt be take any notice of her BMI
    thats tellyou you she is the high end of her HEALTHY bmi (so still healthy) but assumes its fat keeping her at the high end when its actuall muscle.

if you are 100% your logging is accurate she is defo eating other things because 1500/1600 is low with the swimming she does, even being "not very active" the rest of the time she is not sat doing nothing, she is not sedantry.

Im just under 5ft 4. 32 with uncontrolled hypo thyroid (docs dont seem to be able to get my dose right) and loose 1-2lbs a week eating 1500. with no exercise
    so I find it hard to believe if she is really sticking with that goal that she is not losing anything and infact gaining.

but also as said above its not been that long so give it a few more weeks before you cut her calories again.
    she is a teenage girl who does intense exercise 3 times a week.....she needs fuel, for the swimming, for growing, for developing etc
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Since your dd is not very overweight at all then her calorie deficit should be small (250 calories) and her weight loss slow. It has only been 15 days. If she is under a doctor's care you should probably consult the doctor to help you figure out her issues. Weight loss is going to take time. Healing her foot will take time. Don't stress about this.
    If the doctor's advice to lose that much weight seems wrong don't feel you have to push your dd to do that. Seek another medical opinion on her foot and weight.

The calorie goal you figured may be wrong. You might not be getting accurate amounts recorded or your dd is not telling you everything.

Instead of figuring out her tdee from a web site likely intended for adults, it might be better to start with tracking what she normally eats and drinks as accurately as you both can and then change her diet by a couple hundred calories from what she usually consumes. That is what I did first when my dd needed to gain weight. After a few weeks we did not track as strictly unless dd stopped gaining.
    If your dd has a foot problem I assume her non-exercise activity has probably reduced along with exercise. Take that into account. She may be retaining water currently.
    Also different scales are different so if you are comparing a home scale to weight at the doctor office that might be part of the issue.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    I think this is going to cause an eating disorder, please be careful
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    Just asking the rest of the community, but maybe because she swims competitively, she has more muscle than the average teen, and the BMI isn't really accurate for her? And are BMI stats accurate for children anyways? She may just not have much fat to lose, so it will be slow.