Just turned 61 (before and after with pic)

Yeah, okay, I know I'm not a giant muscle guy - but lifting has helped me a lot and I think I've come a long way. Just turned 61 and wanted to post my pic for two reasons... 1) I want a pat on the back for the hard work! Lol... 2) I want to encourage any older members starting out that it's never too late in life to start lifting and lose the gut.

MFP has been a big help to me. Thanks for reading!

oc323pt131a3.jpg

Replies

• jhilkene
    jhilkene Posts: 104 Member
    Wow! Awesome work! :o:)
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Excellent!! It's good to know we can get better with age. I'm 52 and trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
  • Jan0404
    Jan0404 Posts: 13 Member
    Wow. You look amazing. I've just started another weight loss journey at age 59. I struggle at this age but 21 lb has to go and I am one very determined lady. Thanks for posting your pic it has motivated and inspired me. Well done! 🙌
  • brentopia
    brentopia Posts: 113 Member
    edited October 2018
    Thank you, everyone! Jan0404 - you made my day... so glad this motivated you in your journey! :)
  • Fantastic work - your pat on the back is well deserved :+1:

I'm working towards the same goal at 45 - I started at 210 and am down to 180 so far since July with a few more still to go... but these are the stubborn last ones! I've got a problem with my left knee and shifting a few lbs has helped more than I expected.
  • brentopia
    I've got a problem with my left knee and shifting a few lbs has helped more than I expected.

Funny you should mention trouble with your left knee - I have the same. Losing some weight but especially building muscle around my left knee area helped me significantly. It's now an infrequent inconvenience instead of a constant irritant and ache. Progressive weight lifting has changed so many things for the better for me. I can't recommend it enough.

Thanks for the 'pat' on the back! :D and congrats to you and your own progress. I love seeing people transform and reach their goals - so freaking awesome.
  • brentopia
    yukfoo wrote: »
    Great job! I'll be 61 in January. Your b4 and afters look almost exactly like mine. I went from 240 to 172 (so far). We share a common message. It's never too late to turn things around. I hope more people 60+ will be moved to post their success stories as well. Aging doesn't have to be a bad thing. Again, well done!. Hope you'll keep us posted and inspired with your success! ...I'm off for my run.

Thanks and congrats to you on your great progress. I couldn't agree more - its never too late. If anyone reading this is on the fence - start a lifting routine now!

• sbeane96
    sbeane96 Posts: 11 Member
    You look like a muscle guy to me! Strong and fit doesn't equate to bulk
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Awesome progress & great way to show that age is not an excuse for taking more control over your health
  • brentopia
    sbeane96 wrote: »
    You look like a muscle guy to me! Strong and fit doesn't equate to bulk

Ha. Thanks so much!

• brentopia
    Awesome progress & great way to show that age is not an excuse for taking more control over your health

Thank you - and you're exactly right ... no matter the age, lifting does our bodies good.

• EVguy1
    EVguy1 Posts: 12 Member
    Great job! I’m 58 and back to MFP again for loss, this time to postpone hip surgery and get knee relief.
    Glad to see your progress for inspiration.
  • JonesJennings
    JonesJennings Posts: 59 Member
    Great work comrade!
  • jdubois5351
    jdubois5351 Posts: 460 Member
    You look fantastic! Awesome job!
  • 4Pop
    4Pop Posts: 53 Member
    Congrats from someone slightly older than you. Which means I know it's not easy at this stage in life.
  • brentopia
    Thanks EVGuy1 (got an electric car?), JonesJennings, jdubois5351!
    4Pop wrote: »
    Congrats from someone slightly older than you. Which means I know it's not easy at this stage in life.

And 4Pop, I agree, it is tougher to start lifting when older (you look great btw!) ... but so rewarding, not only aesthetically - but stronger legs, core, etc. provide real world benefits as we age.
  • brentopia

Keto Vampire (love your username. Lol.) Thanks and you're exactly right. I see many people my age that just think it's too late to start weight lifting - but of course, it isn't. I know at some point, I won't make gains - but I'm going to keep going as long as I can... it's become a good habit.

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Simply fantastic! Well done :)
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    You look fanstastic. Great job!