Just turned 61 (before and after with pic)

Replies

• brentopia
    brentopia Posts: 113 Member
    kami3006 wrote: »
    Simply fantastic! Well done :)
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    You look fanstastic. Great job!

Thanks! :)

• trite42
    trite42 Posts: 1 Member
    Great work...what was your lifting regime?
  • brentopia
    trite42 wrote: »
    Great work...what was your lifting regime?

Thank you! I've varied my routine several times since I started. Currently doing a full body, 3 day per week. I see this was your first post - I'm certainly no expert - but I'd encourage you to look for the sticky on lifting programs and select a proven routine - or at least include the old school major compound exercises.

Use the MFP "goals" setting or google a "TDEE calculator" and input your info to find out the amount of calories you're actually burning. Log ALL your calories and pay attention to your protein intake and get close to 0.8g/lb. Log your water, too, and stay hydrated throughout the day. I started crazy low with 5 lb dumbbells and was tired. Lolol. I was sooo out of shape. But you will be amazed how quickly you will build strength and muscle. I keep it simple... when my reps get to 12 on the last set with good form, I increase the weight and start over at 8-9 reps. Rinse and repeat.

And most importantly... Have fun! Weight training can be fun and something you look forward to. I don't know how old you are (42?) - but don't go crazy to start. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Go for it! You will be glad you did.

• NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Great post - I am 55 and would appreciate more info about your lifting program. I do think lifting is the best anti-aging strategy.
  • JDiMascola
    JDiMascola Posts: 48 Member
    Great job!! You look amazing!
  • Kar1us
    Kar1us Posts: 31 Member
    Congrats on your success and Thanks for the example! I’ll be 60 soon and have been losing weight by diet and basic home exercise routine with light dumbbells. Losing 20 lbs took a burden off my arthritic knees. It may be time to join a gym and develop a strengthening routine to lose the next 5 lbs and improve muscles to get going again quicker after knee surgery.
  • brentopia
    edited October 2018
    NextPage wrote: »
    Great post - I am 55 and would appreciate more info about your lifting program. I do think lifting is the best anti-aging strategy.

Thanks, NextPage - I have a confession to make - I didn't post my routine, as I don't follow my own advice. :#:| It is best to select a proven routine from experts... having said that, I sorta created my own routine for various valid reasons and it works for me.

I looked up the sticky, shown below, that lists great programs. I've seen posts here by ladies that have good things to say about Strong Curves and New Rules. You might wish to check them out.

Which lifting program is the best for you?

And you're exactly right, I think... progressive weight training is anti-aging. Even my posture has improved. Good luck!
  • brentopia
    JDiMascola wrote: »
    Great job!! You look amazing!

Thank you! :)
  • brentopia
    Kar1us wrote: »
    Congrats on your success and Thanks for the example! I’ll be 60 soon and have been losing weight by diet and basic home exercise routine with light dumbbells. Losing 20 lbs took a burden off my arthritic knees. It may be time to join a gym and develop a strengthening routine to lose the next 5 lbs and improve muscles to get going again quicker after knee surgery.

Thanks, Karlus - and congrats on losing the 20 lbs and good luck on the surgery. I really think it's important to lift WHILE losing weight. Many people think, "well, I can't gain muscle while on a calorie deficit, so I'll wait until I reach my weight loss goal before weight lifting." But think about it - the muscle fibers are still breaking down and rebuilding - not for mass - but certainly for shape and condition. It's totally worth it, as sometimes people reach their weight loss goal without weight training - and are not pleased by the shape they find themselves in. Good luck to you.
  • Shivpea
    Shivpea Posts: 58 Member
    Well done, thats great work! You should be proud :-)
  • susanrsfaecett
    susanrsfaecett Posts: 1 Member
    so pleased you posted your pictures. Fantastic. Just shows what can be achieved.
  • brentopia
    Shivpea wrote: »
    Well done, thats great work! You should be proud :-)
    so pleased you posted your pictures. Fantastic. Just shows what can be achieved.

Thank you both so much! :)

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    You're my idol !
    That is so impressive.
  • brentopia
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    You're my idol !
    That is so impressive.

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! ( :D:D:D I kid, I kid! ) Seriously, thanks - and I read your profile - and glad to hear your knee is better. I imagine it was tough overcoming that.

• anthonyEstevens
    anthonyEstevens Posts: 6 Member
    Never let anyone tell you your to old to lift . I started when i was 44 and people told me I'd never get anywhere with it . :smile: let the haters fuel your fire
  • lorabelllee
    lorabelllee Posts: 54 Member
    You look great, congrats! I wish my husband cared more about his health. I'm still working on losing my weight but at least I'm logging meals and getting my workouts in almost every day. Nice to know that even at our age (I'll be 60 in January) we can change our bodies and be the best version of us we can be. Very inspiring!
  • brentopia
    edited October 2018
    Never let anyone tell you your to old to lift . I started when i was 44 and people told me I'd never get anywhere with it . :smile: let the haters fuel your fire

Thanks - and you look great! Very wise of you to start in your forties... I wish I would have done that... 😬😑 but better late than never. Anyone reading - you're NEVER too old to start weight lifting. Don't worry about what ginormous weights others lift - you're only in competition with yourself. Get to a gym and do it!
  • brentopia
    You look great, congrats! I wish my husband cared more about his health. I'm still working on losing my weight but at least I'm logging meals and getting my workouts in almost every day. Nice to know that even at our age (I'll be 60 in January) we can change our bodies and be the best version of us we can be. Very inspiring!

Thanks and good for you with the measures you've already taken. Consider including progressive weight training with your weight loss regimen - and I think you'll be so very happy you did. You'll see your strength start to increase in just a few weeks and your shape can't help but change. "Progressive" is the key, slowly increase weight as your strength increases. Best wishes to you!

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Another older lifter here, didn't start with the bar until I was 60+.

Progress may be slower, but improvements in strength and physique are definately there, muscle mass gains- not so much.

(I do realise life interruptions, and dedication have impacted the latter :))

You are looking great and definately an inspiration.

Cheers, h.
  • brentopia
    Another older lifter here, didn't start with the bar until I was 60+.

Progress may be slower, but improvements in strength and physique are definately there, muscle mass gains- not so much.

(I do realise life interruptions, and dedication have impacted the latter :))

You are looking great and definately an inspiration.

Cheers, h.

Thank you for the kind words - and you've done a great job, too. :)