BS you hear that irritates you in relation to health/fitness/nutrition.

Options
13»

Replies

• ata1anta
    ata1anta Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    One I would get from my mom was - "you don't want to lift weights, you'll get muscles" - DUH that's the whole point. I like to jest that she belonged to the diet of the month club. :D

Oh and on the other side, "you've lost so much weight, you can have a little XXX." said by too many relatives. :s
    Omg. Glad I'm not the only hater who thinks this whenever I see one of those threads. It really makes me curious what the *kitten* they are eating, I have to play ridiculous calorie tetris to stay under 1450.

I love that "calorie tetris" ! I'm stealing that one! :D:D

I do WW and MFP - needed more data than I was getting with WW, but need the accountability WW gives.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    sarahbums wrote: »
    any time someone mentions 'kickstarting' or 'speeding up' metabolism, I lose 6 hours off my life expectancy
    This. I get this a lot when I tell people I don't eat breakfast (because, you know, I am not hungry first thing in the morning) and they tell me how I am ruining my metabolism and I need to eat because I have been fasting all night and you need food to get your metabolism going etc. etc.
  • kds10
    kds10 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    "If you're on a diet, why are you eating THAT?"

Ummm excuse me but I perfectly portioned this cookie into my plan today so if you don't back off....

:D

I hate that too...i include sweets, chips, etc. at times. Everything in moderation...i hate it when people say well I don't eat any of that...i eat healthy. So do I but I also like other things too.
  • kds10
    kds10 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    You have to do a specific plan, WOE, or subscribe to a particular philosophy to lose weight, be it juicing, WW, vegan, paleo, alkaline vegan, etc.

Just eat less and move some.

Yes yes and yes to this!!
  • ata1anta
    ata1anta Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »
    This. I get this a lot when I tell people I don't eat breakfast (because, you know, I am not hungry first thing in the morning) and they tell me how I am ruining my metabolism and I need to eat because I have been fasting all night and you need food to get your metabolism going etc. etc.

Nevermind the scientific studies that show that IF (intermittent fasting) isn't bad for you.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I try not to let my emotions get in the way of offering advice calmly, but some that make me eye-roll a little:

- Turning vegan/vegetarian just to lose weight
    - Can't lose weight because (aging, menopausal, hypothyroid . . . .)
    - HIIT that isn't actually HIIT, but is called HIIT because the term is trendy
    - HIIT recommended to beginning exercisers
    - 30-day challenges that want people to work up to a gazillion reps of some single really tedious thing by doing increasing bunches of that one thing every single day (or maybe 6 days a week), without any thought to how recovery affects building fitness
    - "I hate cardio" (I don't understand how you can hate every single one of the hundreds/thousands of widely-diverse possible activities that elevate heart rate)
    - The many terms that people (maybe mostly women) use to hate on arbitrary details of perfectly normal body parts ("bingo wings", "hip dips", "cankles", etc.)
    - People blaming 3rd parties (family, BF/GF, evil corporations, etc.) for things they choose to put in their very own adult mouths, then chew and swallow in arbitrary quantities.
    - "Superfood"
    - Threads where someone asks a very basic beginner question, no one really answers the basic question clearly, but the thread gets hijacked by people arguing about advanced technical details of some loosely related thing. (Such as the recent one that started with a beginner asking if Zumba 3 times weekly and clean eating was a good way to lose body fat, and ended up with a completely irrelevant argument about what counted as an endurance exercise; or "Is bicycling a good way to burn calories" ending up in an argument about power meters or bike trainers.)

There is so much gold in here. Love it. All of it.

Especially these.

HIIT is a good one. If you're getting started, don't start with separating yourself from a whole bunch of cash to go buy the B**fl*x "14 minutes per day HIIT machine. If you're a beginner, it's not for you (if you were to even do the HIIT right).

Complete disregard for the most important part of exercise: recovery/adaptation! Your body can't adjust if you beat it up more quickly than it can recover. Plus, if you don't beat it enough to have the need to recover, it is also ineffective. (Use the kitchen for fat loss first!)

"Superfood". .... Uhhh..... okay.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna add another one in here that will probably get me some woos, but whatever.

Walking as excersise - yes, walking is GOOD, and it's a lot better than nothing. But the truth is, humans are bipeds, we evolved to walk 40 miles a day and hunt saber tooth tigers, not ride in cars and sit on couches.

No woo here. Walking was the first, most consistent movement I did during fat loss. It was the foundation for everything else that followed.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I try not to let my emotions get in the way of offering advice calmly, but some that make me eye-roll a little:

- 30-day challenges that want people to work up to a gazillion reps of some single really tedious thing by doing increasing bunches of that one thing every single day (or maybe 6 days a week), without any thought to how recovery affects building fitness
    - "I hate cardio" (I don't understand how you can hate every single one of the hundreds/thousands of widely-diverse possible activities that elevate heart rate)
    - The many terms that people (maybe mostly women) use to hate on arbitrary details of perfectly normal body parts ("bingo wings", "hip dips", "cankles", etc.)
    - People blaming 3rd parties (family, BF/GF, evil corporations, etc.) for things they choose to put in their very own adult mouths, then chew and swallow in arbitrary quantities.
    - "Superfood"
    - Threads where someone asks a very basic beginner question, no one really answers the basic question clearly, but the thread gets hijacked by people arguing about advanced technical details of some loosely related thing. (Such as the recent one that started with a beginner asking if Zumba 3 times weekly and clean eating was a good way to lose body fat, and ended up with a completely irrelevant argument about what counted as an endurance exercise; or "Is bicycling a good way to burn calories" ending up in an argument about power meters or bike trainers.)

True to all of this especially thread hijacking with the advanced or obscure on what was an easy question to answer. Does nothing but confuse and intimidate beginners.

I've seen people gain on superfood diets. One of my friends has been doing vegan paleo and ignoring portions, and confused on why she can't lose weight. She says she won't do portion control or count calories because she doesn't want to "become dependent on a plan". :/
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    "Carbs are unhealthy" >.<
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    One that makes me throw my eyes to the heavens.....

“I lost ....x..... pounds in ....x.... weeks by.... (insert crazy fad diet here). I totally recommend it!”

Or

“Can I lose ....x.... pounds by ....x.... date for my wedding/vacation/special event/ trip to the moon etc...?”

Slow and steady people, slow and steady! It’s not a sprint!
  • z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    "Carbs are unhealthy" >.<

Take away wheat, corn, rice and potatoes, and see how long the world can sustain 7,5 billion people.
    something to think about for all the carbohydrate phobias out there.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    co-workers who agree that weight lose is all about calories but then cut out all 'bad' foods, eat nothing all day or only a salad.
  • Anabel_101
    Anabel_101 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

- "Superfood"

Oh my gosh!! I'm that person! :|
    What??!! You mean it's not because of my age??!!! LOL! I've been struggling with weightloss and I totally was starting to blame my age!! Fine, I won't do that...

And dang it you mean I'm responsible for the what goes in my mouth, and chew and swallow?!! Fine, I'll take responsibility...

Yikes! Harsh! [sarcasm]
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    Anabel_101 wrote: »

- "Superfood"

Oh my gosh!! I'm that person! :|
    What??!! You mean it's not because of my age??!!! LOL! I've been struggling with weightloss and I totally was starting to blame my age!! Fine, I won't do that...

And dang it you mean I'm responsible for the what goes in my mouth, and chew and swallow?!! Fine, I'll take responsibility...

Yikes! Harsh! [sarcasm]

Just for the record: I'm 62, menopausal, hypothyroid myself; otherwise, I probably wouldn't presume to opine. (I lost weight anyway. ;) ).
  • jamesontherun
    jamesontherun Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    sarahbums wrote: »
    I hate people who sell or endorse stuff like herbalife and other supplements, claiming that their (and only their!) products are the best or only way to lose weight/get stronger/be healthy/etc.

Basically the whole diet pill industry just takes advantage of peoples' insecurity & guilt & shame in order to make a quick buck. And that's just wrong.

Yea these products and all the "health coach" guru's popping up on social media piss me off. Selling processed foods to people who really need exercise and eating real whole foods (ie: just less calories).