The first guy who discovered humans could drink animal milk...

Options
What in the F@%# was he doing, and why?

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    He was probably thinking I can *kitten* drink this *kitten* and survive the winter.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Right!!
    And why are cows the preferred animal?
    Who the *kitten* came up with that idea?

Whole idea grosses me out, and you ask a question that I think everyone should seriously consider (I do eat products with cow milk, but it grosses me out every time I think of it....I have Vegan periods of time)

...Why cow, or goat milk?
    Why don't people drink human milk? Or dog milk? Or cat milk? Or horse milk? or pig milk?
    Why cow predominantly?

Reminds me, there was an exhibit at the OAG (Ontario Art Gallery) a while ago where there was a human "milk bar"...people could taste human milk...gag :sick:

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    He was awesome. I love milk.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    Right!!

Whole idea grosses me out, and you ask a question that I think everyone should seriously consider (I do eat products with cow milk, but it grosses me out every time I think of it....I have Vegan periods of time)

Why don't people drink human milk? Or dog milk? Or cat milk? Or horse milk? or pig milk?
    Why cow predominantly?

Reminds me, there was an exhibit at the OAG (Ontario Art Gallery) a while ago where there was a human "milk bar"...people could taste human milk...gag :sick:

Ewww🤮
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    IHaveMyActTogether Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I would think that milk would be a more obvious choice than the meat and eggs. Young of various species will feed off of the milk of other animals.

Seems pretty natural to me. A lot more natural than, say, sausage or leather.
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    I like to think that there was an older brother and some form of bribery or blackmail involved.
  • jogetsgains
    jogetsgains Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I always wondered if there were experiments that went bad before people settled on cows, goats, water buffalo, yaks, donkeys, horses, whatever depending on where they originated.
    Did people just go around latching onto nip nips before settling on a favorite?
    I'm glad I'm not the only person to think about this.
    I'm no vegan, I just seriously think about this kind of stuff 😅
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »

Cow milk?!

How do you feel about squirrel milk?! Human milk?!

Or maybe bunny milk?!

Not trying to be a dick...just wonder where the boundaries are :)
    You know I like you :heart:

I wouldn't drink milk from an animal I wouldnt eat. I drink cow, goat, or sheep milk. Anything kosher/halal and I am good. We are also the only species to farm and cook our food, so drinking milk isnt weird to me. I am half Swedish. We eat a ton of dairy. :)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    But...but...CHEESE.
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »

Cow milk?!

How do you feel about squirrel milk?! Human milk?!

Or maybe bunny milk?!

Not trying to be a dick...just wonder where the boundaries are :)
    You know I like you :heart:

I think cows are easier to restrain and you get bigger volumes from them. I would not volunteer to milk a cat!!! 🙀 And those squirrels are squirrelly little lightning bolts
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Right!!

Why cow predominantly?

People do drink human milk. Babies are humans.

As for cows, they were created for this. Cows produce many gallons of milk every day - about 70lbs of milk per day - which is way more than is required for her calf. She is in pain if not milked, and will continue producing milk if regularly milked, even if she stops having calves. Even cats and birds drink milk off cows.

So milking cows is a mutually beneficial situation for both the cow and the consumer of her milk. Now they have machines that milk cows on the cows own schedule. So the cow will be out being a cow, and decide they want to get milked. They will walk to the barn and place themselves in the machine and be milked on demand.

So drink up.

For real?

Do you really think that "cows were 'created' for this" (milking)...No they were (are) farmed for milking, and cultivated for human consumption.

I don't have a problem with human consumption of animal products, but really, lets not pretend that it's in the animals best interest to be farmed, often they are well kept...and that is beneficial to the human, better output (meat, milk, eggs etc)

They were not "created" to constantly produce milk throughout their entire life and to be milked for other species benefit. Or their baby boys to be slaughtered for meat. That is not what an animal is "created" for...its what we (humans) do

Any lactating mammal can be continuously be "milked" ...do you think that is healthful, practical or beneficial?

If so explain.

Cattle was the easiest to milk, that's why cows (and goats and sheep). I'm not going to defend my milk consumption to you since no matter what I say, you will pick it apart. Unless you can speak to animals, you don't know if it's in their best interest or not. Just remember cows like to lay in their own poop because it's warm and can give a better sight line.

• Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    ... was most likely a hunter-gatherer who killed a lactating female of a prehistoric cattle-like species. The WHOLE animal was used back then because calories were difficult and dangerous to procure. I imagine this would have taken place way before any domestication or farming practices developed.