What was your “reason” for gaining the weight?

Options

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    The first time I gained I was pregnant and getting clean because I was pregnant and going to be a mom. The priority was sobriety and stabilizing my life to prepare for a baby and I ate whatever I wanted whenever I wanted. I started at borderline underweight by about 10-15lb and gained around 90lbs. I didn't lose it and reach a healthy weight again until my son was 6-7yr old.

I gained around 30lb back in a year when I switched jobs and started commuting. My activity level decreased dramatically but I didn't change my diet at all to support that. I had also just gotten together with my husband who is a chef so I actually started eating more enjoying food with him. More in and less out.
  • jmc930
    jmc930 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    WELL.
    • Job change, resulting in additional stress/abuse at work
    • Mental health issues that were previously well treated, ended up being not so well treated
    • Working 60+ hours a week, and felt like I didn't have time to prepare food and get work done
    • Sleeping in until 2 p.m. on weekends, then stress-eating
    • PCOS

Not cooking became a habit. Not exercising became a habit. Sleeping in and napping became a habit.
      60 pound gain in a little over two years.

Everyone's in good company here--and we're getting better and better and better.
  • bvff35
    bvff35 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Good luck!

I was just lazy and liked to eat.

EXACTLY same for me!
  • StrongAndHealthyMommy
    StrongAndHealthyMommy Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    2 pregnancies
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I moved from the UK to the US, to working a a regular day job and also a couple nights tending bar on my feet, in a more pedestrianized/public transport optimized place, to the US to office work and SoCal so driving everywhere pretty much a must. I also think the food culture here is very different, most notably and obviously, portion sizes. As someone who was always able to enjoy whatever, it was a change to the system for sure. I have no idea what I weighed when I got here but I remember wearing UK size 10 dresses and ended up in US 14s a few years after.
  • WillingtoLose1001984
    Options
    I enjoy eating a lot of food, always have, which is why I've always been fat. Things like nuts and olive oil were the main contributors to my calories, and it's easy to overeat those because they're calorie dense. I find pleasure in food, and pleasure feels good, and I like feeling good. That's really all there is to it for me. Of course, I'm kind of hungrier than the average person, but hunger wasn't why I overate.

I over ate or at least had a hard time losing because of hunger. Stopping weight gain was easier for me than losing because it feels like you are perpetually hungry. I finally had wls and it has helped with that bit I also know I need to change things, work, to get to my goals. I'm so tired of being fat!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    It is pretty boring. I would say my weight gain was largely ignorance/denial.
    I was not tracking my food intake. I did not know how many calories I needed. My activity level changed but my eating did not. I did not recognize how sedentary I had become. I was not eating more food than those around me. I consistantly consumed several hundred calories more than I needed for my activity level though. I gained weight gradually. I didn't take it seriously for a long time because I wasn't overweight and then I was't that overweight... until I was obese and getting older and needed to deal with it.

• jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I knew (and know) what to do to control weight, how many calories per day to maintain, ... . But my maintenance is a low figure, where most people go to lose weight. I DO walk a lot. So need to up activity (not a gym fan) - and that's what stumps me. And I'm known by my friends as a superb cook - which is a skill cultivated by trying new recipes and ideas. A vicious circle of cooking and then eating too much. Even if it's healthy, too much is too much.

SO, too many calories relative to expenditure. And even when I manage to stay on top of the situation I find the whole process just awful!