Over 40 - Christmas Challenge

Options

Replies

• dfeledichuk
    dfeledichuk Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Thanks for joining us curlyjayne and Swissy98, nice to have you! I have added you to the spreadsheet, it can be viewed at

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Al9TO0C9yuUFdDRUSTFvVkxJMlAtUVNMTk5qMTk5dmc&hl=en_US&pli=1#gid=0
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    My blog is http://ahealthandfitnessjournal.wordpress.com/

There is one official post, and lots of articles in progress. I realized the reason why I don't use the MFP blog is because I tend to jot down post ideas and then come back later to write and edit the full post. Wordpress lets me keep posts in various states of authorship.

Regarding strength training, I have two workouts that I alternate. Right now I'm using two 3 pound weights. It's pretty light, but I haven't trained in ages so I'm easing back in.

Upper Body:

Flat Press
    Incline Bench Press
    Incline Dumbbell Fly
    Pullover
    Lateral Raise, Dumbbell, Side
    Lateral raise, dumbell, front
    Alternate Shoulder Raise
    Lateral Raise, Dumbell, Bent
    Standing One-Arm Dumbbell Curl
    Simultaneous Curl
    Standing One-Arm Hammer Curl
    Concentration Curl
    Overhead Press, Barbell
    Kickback
    One-arm overhead extension
    Cross-face Extension
    Upright Row
    Dumbbell Row, One-Arm, Bent-Over
    Dumbbell Row, Two-Arm, Bent-Over
    Seated Back Lateral

Lower Body:

Squat
    Side Leg Lift
    Leg Curls
    Lunge
    Standing Butt Squeeze
    Standing Back-Leg Extension
    Straight-Leg Kick-Up
    Bent-Knee Kick-Up
    Concentrated Butt Lift
    Abdominal Crunches
    Ceiling Lift
    Knee-Raised Crunch
    Seated Calf Raise
    Standing Calf Raises
    Seated Angled-Out-Toe Raise
    Standing Angled-In-Toe Raise

Keeping up my water intake is a fight, but it's 10:43 am and I'm finishing my 6th glass of water for the day. <gurgle..>
  • whitesquirrel
    Options
    I'd like to join too please to keep me motivated as would love to be a certain weight in December:) I am 41, have a busy job and no kids - but have a partner instead - who is a slim man who can eat anything he wants! (this doesn't help my cause) My goal weight for Dec 25 is 167lbs. My week 1 nutrition goal - eat more fruit, I am so rubbish at eating fruit!

SW - 185
    GW - 167 (Dec 25)
    Week 1 - xxx (Aug 22)
    Week 2 - xxx (Aug 29)
    Week 3 - xxx (Sep 5)
    Week 4 - xxx (Sep 12)
    Week 5 - xxx (Sep 19)
    Week 6 - xxx (Sep 26)
    Week 7 - xxx (Oct 3)
    Week 9 - xxx (Oct 10)
    Week 10 - xxx (Oct 17)
    Week 11 - xxx (Oct 24)
    Week 12 - xxx (Oct 31)
    Week 13 - xxx (Nov 7)
    Week 14 - xxx (Nov 14)
    Week 15 - xxx (Nov 21)
    Week 16 - xxx (Nov 28)
    Week 17 - xxx (Dec 5)
    Week 18 - xxx (Dec 12)
    Week 19 - xxx (Dec 19)
    Final - xxx (Dec 25)
  • laughingnome
    laughingnome Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Hi all...... I'm 55 and need to get into shape. I have gotten lazy and have a gym in my basement for my son who is in shape.. I am determined to use the gym and eat right to lose wright. Everytime I see pictures of myself I am embarassed. Unfortunately I have a job which I sit all day, driving, Hope with support I can lose at least 15 lbs by Christmas. I have been in a walking cast for 6 weeks hope it comes off next week and I can start walking everyday.
  • gabbygirl37_2001
    gabbygirl37_2001 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'd like to join this challenge. Im 46, married, but my husband and I live in separate places right now, due to some personal issues. Anyway...we talk everyday, but it can be stressful. I eat, to fill in the lonlieness. I eat for many reasons though...not just that! I have many excuses! Im a mom too...both my kids are adults 25, and 20, and the 25 year old just moved back in with me. I love it, but its stressful at the same time. I love to eat, I hate to exercise, and Im bigger than Ive ever been in my life, pretty much. My goal for this week is just to get back into recording my calories every day, and of course the 8 glasses of water too.

SW - 224
    GW - 200 (Dec 25)
    Week 1 - xxx (Aug 22)
    Week 2 - xxx (Aug 29)
    Week 3 - xxx (Sep 5)
    Week 4 - xxx (Sep 12)
    Week 5 - xxx (Sep 19)
    Week 6 - xxx (Sep 26)
    Week 7 - xxx (Oct 3)
    Week 9 - xxx (Oct 10)
    Week 10 - xxx (Oct 17)
    Week 11 - xxx (Oct 24)
    Week 12 - xxx (Oct 31)
    Week 13 - xxx (Nov 7)
    Week 14 - xxx (Nov 14)
    Week 15 - xxx (Nov 21)
    Week 16 - xxx (Nov 28)
    Week 17 - xxx (Dec 5)
    Week 18 - xxx (Dec 12)
    Week 19 - xxx (Dec 19)
    Final - xxx (Dec 25)
  • dfeledichuk
    Options
    Hi all...... I'm 55 and need to get into shape. I have gotten lazy and have a gym in my basement for my son who is in shape.. I am determined to use the gym and eat right to lose wright. Everytime I see pictures of myself I am embarassed. Unfortunately I have a job which I sit all day, driving, Hope with support I can lose at least 15 lbs by Christmas. I have been in a walking cast for 6 weeks hope it comes off next week and I can start walking everyday.

Welcome to our group laughingnome, glad to have you!

I am like you I have a job that I sit at all day long as well, fortunately for me I am not in a walking cast however and have been walking each day at lunch and sometimes in the evenings. I have a goal of walking 100 miles a month, at 64 so far.

Can you please note your starting weight and your goal weight when you get a chance so I can add all the necessary information to the spreadsheet for the challenge.

• dfeledichuk
    Options
    Welcome to our group gabbygirl37_2001. Sorry to hear about your personal situation it can definitely make staying on track pretty tough. Hopefully we can all support you through the process. Great goals for this week!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I am on my 7th cup of water for the day and it is just after lunch. Thanks Gwen for the link to your blog and the list of exercises you do. I want to up to 2 days a week eventually but have too much other exercise going for now! Welcome to the new members too.
    Keri
  • curlyjayne
    curlyjayne Posts: 120
    Options
    hi guys
    i have been trying to run for about a month now, and tonight i managed the 6 mile route in one go, without stopping. I am so chuffed with myself, and i managed to knock 4 minutes off my best time yet.
    I go running with my dog, she is a 4 year old white german shepherd who really needs the exercise. She is my best friend at the moment!
  • dfeledichuk
    Options
    hi guys
    i have been trying to run for about a month now, and tonight i managed the 6 mile route in one go, without stopping. I am so chuffed with myself, and i managed to knock 4 minutes off my best time yet.
    I go running with my dog, she is a 4 year old white german shepherd who really needs the exercise. She is my best friend at the moment!

That is awesome! Great for you and personal best time to boot! My dogs love the walks I take them on too!
  • mrsbrown2k1
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am Tam an 41 yr old. With a 3yr old little boy and a husband too. I work full-time and enjoy Zumba. I have currently lost 35 lbs on a program called Slimming World. I would love to be at my goal weight by Christmas. I have 20-25 more pounds to lose. So my goal is to be at 135 by Xmas!!!

My current weight is 157. I walk 2-3 miles a day at work during my breaks and lunch. I then go to Zumba Tues - Thurs.

My goals for this week is to keep walking and gear up for next week as I will hit the gym running again. I had to stop these past two weeks due to working overtime. Oh how i've missed my zumba classes!!!

I am looking forward to this challenge with everyone!!!
    Tam
  • dfeledichuk
    Options
    Welcome Tam aka mrsborwn2k1. Good luck with the walking and hopefully you get to Zumba again next week!
  • joyfulthanks
    Options
    Ladies,

I'll be out camping for the next two weeks or so, so I won't be able to check-in/weigh/measure during that time. But I'm not leaving the challenge....I definitely want to be a part of this!

I'll be checking in again once I get back.

Blessings to all!
  • _gwen
    Options
    I'll be out camping for the next two weeks or so,

Have a safe trip and drink lots of water!

Gwen
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Great running Jayne, welcome Tam, have a great time camping joyful, Not sure about the drinking water part though, Gwen. Because I drink more water now I kept having to walk to the bathroom in the middle of the night when I was camping.

However now that I am home I recommend it. Yesterday I drank 14 glasses and this morning I lost a second pound for this week. I'll take it since I had been in a long plateau. I finally have lost 30 pounds.
  • _gwen
    Options
    .. Yesterday I drank 14 glasses and this morning I lost a second pound for this week. I'll take it since I had been in a long plateau. I finally have lost 30 pounds.

I don't know why this is, but I've had the same experience. If I had to guess, it's because you are flushing out sodium. I've also heard that by being well hydrated your internal organs can do their job more efficiently. The idea is, If the liver doesn't have to do backup duty for your kidneys, then the liver can focus on it's primary task of managing nutrients, processing cholesterol, and filtering out junk.

Did you know that all the blood that circulates around your small intestines flows through your portal vein directly into your liver?

Either and both make sense to me, and from personal experience I know it makes a difference in my weight loss.
  • Rav3nw0lf
    Options
    Hi!! Can I play too?? :)

I'm 43 next month, married for 17yrs, three kids I'm homeschooling, drive a school bus during the public school year and really want to start this with a bang! I've been using the mobile app for a week or so now and am appalled at how bad my eating habits have gotten and how sedentary I've become. I like being accountable since that seems to help me get motivated. I need it!
    A nice Christmas prezzy of 20 lbs sounds like a great start to me. Thanks so much for running this.

This weeks goal: Be active, walking or ski machine 10min every day.

SW - 268
    GW - 248 (Dec 25)
    Week 1 - xxx (Aug 22)
    Week 2 - xxx (Aug 29)
    Week 3 - xxx (Sep 5)
    Week 4 - xxx (Sep 12)
    Week 5 - xxx (Sep 19)
    Week 6 - xxx (Sep 26)
    Week 7 - xxx (Oct 3)
    Week 9 - xxx (Oct 10)
    Week 10 - xxx (Oct 17)
    Week 11 - xxx (Oct 24)
    Week 12 - xxx (Oct 31)
    Week 13 - xxx (Nov 7)
    Week 14 - xxx (Nov 14)
    Week 15 - xxx (Nov 21)
    Week 16 - xxx (Nov 28)
    Week 17 - xxx (Dec 5)
    Week 18 - xxx (Dec 12)
    Week 19 - xxx (Dec 19)
    Final - xxx (Dec 25)
  • dfeledichuk
    Options
    Welcome Rav8nw0lf! Starting off with small goals is key trying to do too much too soon just sets you up for failure. I find tracking us really important as it really makes you aware of how much and what we are putting in our bodies each day.

Joyfulthanks have a great time camping!
  • dfeledichuk
    Options
    KeriA I am finding too that water is so important for weight loss too! Good for you seeing the other side of that plateau.
  • brobin41101
    brobin41101 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Ladies,

I'll be out camping for the next two weeks or so, so I won't be able to check-in/weigh/measure during that time. But I'm not leaving the challenge....I definitely want to be a part of this!

I'll be checking in again once I get back.

Blessings to all!
    Enjoy your camping trip. Drink lots of water and have fun ! :)) See you when you get back.