Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is veganism only possible with enough money?

123457»

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Veganism should be a lot cheaper than a "normal" diet, even if it's organic. Potatoes and rice were a main part (80%+) of the Okinawan's indigenous diet. Those people were part of a "blue zone" ("region of the world where people live much longer than average.") and had plenty of energy to work outside. Potatoes and rice are some of the cheapest foods around.

"Should" being the operative word. I think people keep forgetting that the ability and time one has to cook is going to be different depending on a. where you live, b. your income, c. your living situation, d. how many mouths you have to feed, and e. how many jobs you have (among many other factors).

Also that specific potato you're talking about is not easy to find depending on where you live (the closest place I can get it is about a 25 min drive from my house). Never mind that they only made their way to Japan via traders - it isn't native to the region (I highly doubt any potato is native to Japan).