Qysmia - 2018

Options
Is anyone here currently using Qysmia? All thread on this topic are quite old now, I find nothing from 2018

Before I start, please,I politely ask that anyone who responds kindly refrain from negative commentary. Most of us who resort to medication have already tried many other ways of losing weight. Some of us, have other health issues which have made it problematic to stay on track. I am happy for those who are able to buckle down and make positive, life long changes without using this kind of help, but for the rest of us, this is a continuous struggle and we need more assistance than you might need. It is not "bad" if one does their due diligence and is under the care of a good physician who also has done their research and is prescribing the medication properly and with the follow ups required to ensure safety.

Background: I'm 59, in pretty good health over all other than arthritis in both knees due to 3 surgeries for meniscus repairs due to injuries sustained in accidents in the past 20 years. Also, currently recovering from a fractured fifth metatarsal fracture from tripping over a broken sidewalk vault. Self admitted klutz here. Post-menopausal combined with several lengthy periods of non-activity and recovery have led to quite a bit of weight gain through the years. I have never been "thin', at 5'0" always was a bit overweight but not severely so. I felt good, I looked good and was always healthy.

A few years before my first accident some other things had been going on and I gained quite a bit of weight and found myself over 200. After my surgery/recovery - somewhere around my early 40's I managed to lose 60 pounds on my own over 9 months, doing it the usual way of eating a healthy reduced calorie diet, moving more, tracking food, and taking better care of myself over all. I kept this weight off for over 3 years.

Then, a second accident leading to another surgery. Recovery was more difficult and the weight slowly came back. Plus I was older too by then, and looking back probably in my peri-menopausal years. But again got myself on track and lost a good amount of weight by persistence and will.

My third accident resulted in another weight gain due to the same inactivity cycle plus, I was now fully in the throes of menopause and dealing with those fluctuations. I found myself at a high weight of 242. Totally unacceptable. Tried several times on my own to get on track and just could NOT do it which just wound up making me feel crappy about myself and the situation.Did not help that my new husband was enabling both of us by bringing home treats and still insisted I looked good when I clearly knew I did not. I have never been one to delude myself on my appearance.

Last year, my (new) doctor suggested seeing a nutritionist. This was a great idea and was extremely helpful for me. She really got my head straight, and I was able to incorporate what I learned in our sessions to everyday life, and began losing weight easily without feeling deprived. I was feeling incredibly good both mentally and physically, and had lost about 25 pounds over 8 months, slow but steady. Then, in late June, I fell again and could not walk at all and it took several weeks to find out that my foot was fractured. I spent the entire summer until just last week pretty much incapacitated and gaining back the weight I'd lost once again.

So, there's a very definite pattern to my weight gains through the years as can be seen. Injury - inactivity - (some amount of self pity) - weight gain.

Anyway, had my yearly exam last week and my doctor said overall I remain healthy but is concerned about my weight as my BMI is considered obese for my height, which I knew (my husband still refuses to believe this bless him). He had a couple of suggestions: surgery which I said no way too as it is too extreme to me and after reading up on it I have huge concerns about side effects which will potentially complicate my life mostly bathroom issues (I have a long daily commute back and forth to my job and there is little opportunity for serious bathroom breaks on that trip). The other possible help, was medication.

Qysmia was the front runner of the 3 suggested. After doing my due research I decided I'd give it a shot. I had already used topiramite years ago for migraines so I was quite familiar with its side effects and knew I could handle them - plus, the does in this medication is substantially lower than the does I was receiving for migraines. I had some concerns about the other part of the medicine but again, overall I thought it would be ok.

I'm only 6 days in but having no problems at all that I can ascertain other than one which I had years ago - which is smelling things that aren't really there at times (for me, I smell "metallic" odors, like I'm aware of when my radiators come on suddenly whereas before I wasn't). I realize it is the starter dose but so far so good. I'm completely back on track eating properly, healthy food, not over doing it, paying attention to meal planning and making good choices. I'm not over eating at all. I do get hungry, but again that could be because I'm still on the starting dose, but the difference seems to be that it isn't an overwhelming hunger and, I seem to be satisfied quicker than before. My calorie set point is 1420 for now but I'm eating more in the 1350 range and fine with that. The scale is already moving downward so yay to that. I'm also back to tracking my food here at MFP, and using my Fitbit too. Feeling motivated again.

Yes, it IS expensive though. It will cost me $105 where I am a month with the manufacturer coupon applied (I think it's $65 a month, or $75?) but my feeling is if I am not eating as much as before, the cost will off-set itself. Being as I work in a city where lunch cost quite a bit, just in this first week I saw a big reduction in that cost so I'm not worried about the price of the medicine at all.

I would love to hear from anyone who is currently using this particular medicine and hear your stories especially how long it took to lose the weight, how much you lost, the length of time you stayed on it and if you gained it back once you stopped taking it.

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Is that the one that makes you shart?

LoL, no but it's time to read that thread again.

It's a combo of phentermine and topiramate.
  • sivyaleah
    sivyaleah Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm on a high dose of topiramate for migraines and found that the appetite suppressing effects of it wore off over time. I wonder if that's true of the Qysmia. I'd never take phentermine voluntarily.

OP, one thing struck me in your post. Not once did you mention caloric intake.

I too am an older post-menopausal woman. I've lost all of my weight after menopause, in fact. I did it by meticulously counting calories.

I did. I'm currently tracking and set for 1420 calories daily I rarely use that many - typically around 1350 averaged throughout a week.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    sivyaleah wrote: »
    I'm on a high dose of topiramate for migraines and found that the appetite suppressing effects of it wore off over time. I wonder if that's true of the Qysmia. I'd never take phentermine voluntarily.

I too am an older post-menopausal woman. I've lost all of my weight after menopause, in fact. I did it by meticulously counting calories.

I did. I'm currently tracking and set for 1420 calories daily I rarely use that many - typically around 1350 averaged throughout a week.

Forgive me, yes you did.
  • amynew4u
    amynew4u Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I, too, am on this road. I am starting with the topiramate for 3 weeks and will then add the phentermine. This, in combination with increased activity and decreased calories - approximately 1300. I’m only 6 days in of 50 mg which will increase by 25 mg every 7 days. I have experienced a bit of dizziness but not much appetite suppression. I’m starting at 300# - difficult to write - but it is my current reality.

You’ll get no judgement from me and am willing and able to be a sounding board. Best of luck to both of us!
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options

Yes, there is tachyphylaxis with the phentermine component...lose appetite blunting effects overtime.
  • sivyaleah
    Options
    amynew4u wrote: »
    I, too, am on this road. I am starting with the topiramate for 3 weeks and will then add the phentermine. This, in combination with increased activity and decreased calories - approximately 1300. I’m only 6 days in of 50 mg which will increase by 25 mg every 7 days. I have experienced a bit of dizziness but not much appetite suppression. I’m starting at 300# - difficult to write - but it is my current reality.

You’ll get no judgement from me and am willing and able to be a sounding board. Best of luck to both of us!

Thank you for your words and honesty. I look forward to hearing about your journey if you feel comfortable sharing.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Is that the one that makes you shart?

I think that's Alli
  • sivyaleah
    Options
    Mykatet wrote: »
    Qysmia worked wonders for me. I was easily able to lose 50 pounds over several months. The side effects I noticed were depression, some tingling in my hands and dry mouth. It made me have little desire for sweets which is my downfall. After I stopped taking it all the side effects resolved. I was easily able to stop it without withdrawals. I hurt my back right after that though and wasn't able to exercise. I did gain all the weight back quickly plus 20 pounds. I'm not sure how much was due to not exercising or stopping the medication. I'd love to use it again but I'm a little worried to try it. The worse side effect for me was the depression. I already have depression, it just made it much worse.

I hear you on the injury aspect. That's what always leads to my slide backs.

I am having the dry mouth now, trying to remember to drink water through out the day which seems to help but it's a challenge since I've never enjoyed water as a beverage. I had a slight headache for the first few days but that may have been allergy related as it's now gone. I've noticed my taste for all food is "blunted" - I can taste the food, but it doesn't have that wow factor some of it did before which helps me with keeping my portions under control.

Sorry to hear about the depression though. I hope that once off the medication that it lessened to some degree.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    OP, what’s your dosage?

On the advice of my bariatric/metabolic dr, im on a low dose of Qsymia (7.5) and in conjunction with a low-carb, higher fat way of eating, I’m (FINALLY!) having success staying in a caloric deficit. I haven’t noticed any side effects, and I’ve been on it about 3 months; I started taking it a few weeks after I started eating LCHF. I’ve lost 32lbs and 17 inches so far.

I know people pooh-pooh taking a drug, but I had been seeing a nutritionist for months, with no success, and she recommended switching over to the MD for meds. They all know I do NOT want to go the surgical route, and so far, the plan seems to be working.
  • sivyaleah
    Options
    OP, what’s your dosage?

On the advice of my bariatric/metabolic dr, im on a low dose of Qsymia (7.5) and in conjunction with a low-carb, higher fat way of eating, I’m (FINALLY!) having success staying in a caloric deficit. I haven’t noticed any side effects, and I’ve been on it about 3 months; I started taking it a few weeks after I started eating LCHF. I’ve lost 32lbs and 17 inches so far.

I know people pooh-pooh taking a drug, but I had been seeing a nutritionist for months, with no success, and she recommended switching over to the MD for meds. They all know I do NOT want to go the surgical route, and so far, the plan seems to be working.

I'm still on the beginning dose of 3.75/23. My physician wants to keep me on that dosage for a full month as he personally prefers to minimize potential side effects by increasing slowly. He also said if I am having decent weight loss at the minimum dosage he would keep me at that until the effects slowed down or stopped and then increase me.

It sounds like you are on the second step up dose. From what I understand many do very well on that with minimal side effects.

I've been on it for 10 days and have lost a few pounds so I'm pleased with the results thus far. All I'm doing is cutting calories by reducing portion sizes and paying attention to overall quality of the food I'm eating. I like carbs but am eating more nutritious ones than I was previously. I found if I restrict them I just don't feel well at all.

I too saw a nutritionist for several months. That was very helpful from a mind set point of view; helped me more fully understand cause and effect and how important it is for me to be accountable daily for the choices I make. What she didn't impart was what a realistic weight loss would be for me personally.

My doctor is taking a different approach, taking my age, health, abilities and general motivation into account. He saw that I have been making real effort but not succeeding as well as he'd like to see. For now, we agree that getting me down 20-30 more pounds is acceptable and while still overweight would be a healthier range. So far, I've been healthy but I don't want to find myself down the road unhealthy due to the excess weight so, I keep trying. He certainly has done his research into Qysmia and other weight loss drugs and I did my due diligence and then some before making this decision.
  • amynew4u
    Options
    Checking in - how’s your progress?
  • sivyaleah
    Options
    amynew4u wrote: »
    Checking in - how’s your progress?

Doing pretty good so far. This coming Tuesday it will be 3 weeks. My doctor is keeping me on the starting dose for a full month as he's found some people do well enough on it and don't need to increase.

I haven't had any really problematic side effects, the worst is dry mouth so I'm drinking as much water as I can manage. Flavors are a bit dulled which helps not to over eat. The first week or so I did experience a buzzy feeling the first few hours after taking it but found that once I reduced my morning caffeine intake by half, that became more manageable.

My appetite has been minimized and I'm satisfied with smaller portions. The effects tend to wear off by dinner time somewhat, which may be the low dose I'm on so there has been some amount of self-discipline needed later in the day. Late day snacking was never one of my issues so I don't find it too difficult to just have a reasonable dinner and avoid piling up my plate as long as I've eaten properly earlier in the day.

My meal plan has been reducing calories and portion sizes, eating more nutrient dense foods that will satisfy me longer. No fad eating. I set myself to have 1400 calories a day but usually top out around 1350, if that. I make sure to eat regular meals, I never skip one, even if not hungry as I still recognize my body needs food to work well.

I've lost 5 pounds so far. I'm pleased with those results. Honestly I don't know if it's because of the drug or just me cutting back but what I do know is I couldn't have gotten back on track to pay attention to my intake without going on the drug. It helped bring my motivation and focus back and make it easier to accomplish what is very necessary in my life. I will be in touch with my doctor later next week once I pass the 3 week mark to see if he want to increase the dosage once 4 weeks hits or not. I suspect, since I've done well so far he might decide to keep me going as is which I'd be ok with. I'm not looking for fast and quick results but long term ways to manage my weight. As long as I see a steady decline on the scale, I'll be happy.
  • amynew4u
    Options
    I’m about 15 lbs down. How about you all? Side effects are minimal. Water intake clearly impacts the dry mouth and tingling, which have been bearable for me. Update if you feel comfortable doing so! Hope all is well!