Good carbs/bad carbs?

Options
Is whole wheat pasta or whole wheat things in general a good or bad carb? What are some other things that are considered a good carb? Tia.

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Good vs bad depends on what health issues/parameters you're working within.

For example... in regards to weight loss, none are inherently good nor bad. In regards to epilepsy, complex carbs like whole grains can be better than refined carbs or simple sugars.
  • Mellzxo
    Mellzxo Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrates are just carbohydrates. Foods with carbohydrates will vary in calories and nutritional content, just as foods with fat and protein do. Choose a variety of foods you like that and meet your nutritional goals overall. I've found this to be much more useful than an artificial distinction between "good" and "bad" carbohydrates. In some contexts, whole wheat products are a great choices. In others, they're not so great. It's all about your needs and what you're eating throughout the day.

The whole wheat pasta I wanna eat is low in saturated fat but high in fibre. I’ve already had bread today though but I’ve mixed it with things like eggs, cheese and beets (not all in the same sandwich.) beets was a side dish. Per say. Just trying to eat more balanced foods. Really. But thank you :)

• Mellzxo
    Options
    I’m also only going to have a cup of pasta for supper so I don’t think it will be that bad?
  • Mellzxo
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

For example... in regards to weight loss, none are inherently good nor bad. In regards to epilepsy, complex carbs like whole grains can be better than refined carbs or simple sugars.

I’m trying to lose weight but that’s not a main goal at the moment. I don’t want to be obsessing over so I’m just trying to eat better balanced meals. If I lose weight along the way while exercising then bonus :) I’ll keep doing what I’m doing. I have a month before I see my dietitian again.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Mellzxo wrote: »
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

I’m trying to lose weight but that’s not a main goal at the moment. I don’t want to be obsessing over so I’m just trying to eat better balanced meals. If I lose weight along the way while exercising then bonus :) I’ll keep doing what I’m doing. I have a month before I see my dietitian again.

If your dietitian is the source of your idea that there are good carbs and bad carbs, he or she would be the person to ask for a definition, examples, and preferably a rationale, so that you can apply the reasoning to foods that aren't in the list of examples he or she provides.
  • Mellzxo
    Options
    Thanks guys. And no she never put the idea in my head. But she said I was carb heavy. I never eat over my calorie limit so I should be okay. I am for 1200-1300 cals at most for the whole day
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. And no she never put the idea in my head. But she said I was carb heavy. I never eat over my calorie limit so I should be okay. I am for 1200-1300 cals at most for the whole day

1. Macro split is a personal thing. Some people are more satiated by carbs, so they eat more carbs. Some people are more satiated by fat. Eat in a way that keeps you satisfied.

2. Is 1300 calories enough? I'd be chewing my desk if that's all I could eat.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    A helpful guide to setting up your macronutrient (carbs, fats, protein) goals: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Who is 'she'?