Anyone noticed people are nicer when you’re skinnier?

Options

Replies

• Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    Yes and no...

With men, I'd say they are in many ways less friendly now that I'm in better shape... You get sized up up by some and others look at you as if they may be intimidated but I'm just a nice guy...

Although I'm guilty of sizing up guys with a decent build as well... Not in a negative way, just trying to see where I compare... Massive weight loss will do this to you

As for women, I think I'm treated a little better lol...

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    It doesn't surprise me. People tend to feel awkward around people who are "less fortunate" sometimes. Not just overweight/obese people, but it seems like people tend to avoid eye contact with people with physical disabilities, people with down syndrome, and many others. People who are "different" (although being overweight/obese isn't uncommon). It might also be that you are a little more confident as you lost weight? I don't get random people complimenting me and being "nice" to me even though I've always been a healthy weight (Except for right after giving birth) but I'm really socially awkward.
  • MsBaz2018
    MsBaz2018 Posts: 384 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »

This is interesting. I've been between 20-22 BMI for most of my life, I'm fit and athletic, and I don't get compliments about my appearance. People are nice to me, and people do look at me, but they don't mention my looks at all when they speak to me.

I wonder why some people get compliments and others don't. Must be something about their demeanor that makes people feel comfortable (or not) doing it. I'm actually glad people don't compliment me on my appearance

Maybe BMI 24 is the sweet spot. Lower than 23 = slim, strong, athletic, don't mess with her. Higher than 25= cute but would be better with fewer pounds. Higher still = let me act like I didn't see her even if she is 6ft, 355 lbs and dressed in bright pink @Kimmotion5783
  • Miss_Snow_White
    Miss_Snow_White Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My theory would be it's your veiw that has changed of yourself. You have a whole new look on life and new attitude and feel more comfortable in your own skin. It is only people reacting to your new found confidence not you new pants size.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It’s more like observing differences in behavior (more people initiating conversation, more smiling, etc), rather than assuming thoughts.
    Perhaps you are the one assuming what others are thinking?
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    MsBaz2018 wrote: »
    jenilla1 wrote: »

This is interesting. I've been between 20-22 BMI for most of my life, I'm fit and athletic, and I don't get compliments about my appearance. People are nice to me, and people do look at me, but they don't mention my looks at all when they speak to me.

I wonder why some people get compliments and others don't. Must be something about their demeanor that makes people feel comfortable (or not) doing it. I'm actually glad people don't compliment me on my appearance

Maybe BMI 24 is the sweet spot. Lower than 23 = slim, strong, athletic, don't mess with her. Higher than 25= cute but would be better with fewer pounds. Higher still = let me act like I didn't see her even if she is 6ft, 355 lbs and dressed in bright pink @Kimmotion5783

I think there is something to that. I was a Psych major in college, so perception always fascinated me. I read one study where women found men most attractive at around 18% body fat, which would roughly equate to around 23/24 for women, as women tend to be around 4/5% higher body fat then men.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I don't think people are nicer per say, but I think I am nicer, or less angry, or irritable, and so I perceive that people are nicer. I'm also a giant human with resting *kitten* face, and so I think people avoid me cause I give off some weirdo vibes. -shrug-
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Not even a little. I don't know if it makes a difference that I've long been . . . um . . . assertive, fat and thin. Or that I'm pretty old (63 next month) and other women say they feel more invisible as they age. I don't feel invisible.

Yes, men don't flirt with me, but I put that down to my being argumentative, overbearing, and not even remotely interested in being cute.

Is that what's happening for me? :laugh: Good thing I'm self-sustaining.
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Everyone keeps saying this, and altruistically I wish it was the case, but it's not. People are nicer to me when I'm a normal weight. Men smile at me, open the door, and offer to help me 1000x more often. I'm not batting my lashes and flipping my hair, either. It's just the way it is. This is not the first time I've been a normal weight. I've walked the road to invisibility and back a couple of times now, and the same always holds true.

You are probably exuding a sense of security in the way you carry yourself when you are what you call a normal weight, it can be something a person is not totally aware of but other people pick up on those non-verbal cues. It goes both ways people pick up on non-verbal cues more often than not and likewise people will respond to what is deemed "attractive" to them. It's a weird grouping behavior that humans just do, we tend to open ourselves and groups to people that will most likely fit into that group and it can be vain and shallow all at the same time.

I routinely test as an INFJ so I come off as a bit cold to people and it takes a while before I let people get to know me no matter how they look and likewise groups of people tend to not be welcoming to me no matter how in or out of shape I am in. I give off unconscious cues all the time and I have been called on it by my friends over the years.

There are non-verbal evolutionary responses and social responses we humans are just hardwired with.

• PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely! When I started my weight loss journey and joined a gym, nobody talked to me or even looked at me. As I started to lose weight and it was noticeable, other members started talking to me. I get a lot of men who come up to me and compliment me about my muscular legs lol
  • itzcath
    itzcath Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    MsBaz2018 wrote: »
    itzcath wrote: »
    Absoultey YES. first thing I noticed was after losing 50 people stopped going sideways and avoiding eye contact passing me in the hall in my office building (I always walk straight forward). I am also no longer "invisible" in stores or in public like I used to be. People and staff will actually approach, talk to and help me. I also notice people actually looking at me in my periferal vision (again no longer invsible). I have always been very aware of people around me and I have always been very friendly.

Just curious : do you know at which weight you stopped being invisible? Were you normal weight? Overweight? Obese but not that much?

I was obese and 90 pounds overweight. The sideways down the hall stopped after I lost 50. I am now down 60 with 30 more to reach my goal.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,174 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Not even a little. I don't know if it makes a difference that I've long been . . . um . . . assertive, fat and thin. Or that I'm pretty old (63 next month) and other women say they feel more invisible as they age. I don't feel invisible.

Yes, men don't flirt with me, but I put that down to my being argumentative, overbearing, and not even remotely interested in being cute.

I think self-sustenance and the characteristics on my list are correlates. In fact, I think they're probably cause and effect . . . but I'm not sure which way the causation arrow points.

;););)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I think self-sustenance and the characteristics on my list are correlates. In fact, I think they're probably cause and effect . . . but I'm not sure which way the causation arrow points.

;););)

I suspect it's circular.
  • ShayCarver89
    ShayCarver89 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Men treat me differently when I’m thin. Hold open doors, all that. I’m basically invisible at this weight, which isn’t always a bad thing.