Is there free will?

Options

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    cathipa wrote: »
    If you are religious then no as God has predetermined everything.

Is that true?

My catholocism is a little rusty, but IIRC, God knows all (and thus knows the decisions we will make, how our futures will go, etc etc), but not that he made those decisions for us as part of his grand plan.

It depends on the brand of Christianity that you follow. Calvinists generally believed in predestination.
  • Chael2dot0
    Chael2dot0 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    If you are religious then no as God has predetermined everything.

Is that true?

My catholocism is a little rusty, but IIRC, God knows all (and thus knows the decisions we will make, how our futures will go, etc etc), but not that he made those decisions for us as part of his grand plan.

It depends on the brand of Christianity that you follow. Calvinists generally believed in predestination.

lol. My wife won't let me get this...

Calvinism-Some-Lives-Matter.jpg
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I used to have this discussion with a good friend in college and we would go round and round about it. And this is only my opinion, but I think it depends on if you are religious or not. If you are religious then no as God has predetermined everything.

One group within Christianity believe everything is predestined. That is a stream within Protestantism but is not all of Protestantism and is not any of Catholicism.
  • Chael2dot0
    Options
    SabAteNine wrote: »
    As such it is not „free” in the strictest sense. It is molded and conditioned by the above

This runs with the "mouse in the maze" thought of free will, in that you can put a mouse in a maze and the mouse certainly has the ability to chose the direction it wants to go, but to what end can it go? It is a predefined space overa.

In that sense, based on the construct around us, we do not have free will because we are fully vested in the ecosystem we live. E.g. - we cannot make a decision beyond where, when, and how we exist.

• SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I find it curious that so many people feel that it is impossible to look at something objectively and believe that experience necessarily must inform a decision.
  • Chael2dot0
    Options
    So, when people talk about 'destiny' is that basically another way of saying that they believe people don't have 'free will' ?

Or that they have free will but only to a certain extent? Surely anyone who believes in destiny.....must kinda think that their choices/desicions are already set? No? This is a good question.

I don't think they have to contradict each other.

I tell my boys I believe they are destined for great things. But I beleive that based on them making good choices in life and not that I think anything power in the universe has it set they will be something.
  • HeathieM
    HeathieM Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Free will is an illusion = D
  • Chael2dot0
    Options

It is interesting that in classical terms, free will was more to do with the fortitude of a man to rise above social/economical/political constraints, which in itself inferes that living in such an enviornment would never allow true free will.
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Chael2dot0 wrote: »
    As such it is not „free” in the strictest sense. It is molded and conditioned by the above

This runs with the "mouse in the maze" thought of free will, in that you can put a mouse in a maze and the mouse certainly has the ability to chose the direction it wants to go, but to what end can it go? It is a predefined space overa.

In that sense, based on the construct around us, we do not have free will because we are fully vested in the ecosystem we live. E.g. - we cannot make a decision beyond where, when, and how we exist.

We can make any decisions we want, within the confines of our own minds, context and resources. And this endowment may seem like a LOT, but objectively speaking, all three have their very concrete limits - much like those of the mouse in the maze.

And in the end, it may well be that we live in a simulation anyway :smiley:
  • andreascjonsson
    andreascjonsson Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I think all choices you make are predetermined by your genes and the experience you have had so far, therefore every choice could be predicted with a strong enough computer. Though there are so many factors involved i dont think it will ever be realistically possible to predetermine someones actions and as such im fine with not having free will.
  • Chael2dot0
    Options
    I think all choices you make are predetermined by your genes and the experience you have had so far, therefore every choice could be predicted with a strong enough computer. Though there are so many factors involved i dont think it will ever be realistically possible to predetermine someones actions and as such im fine with not having free will.

b-YIVN.gif

Then why...do you persist?!
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options

Agreed. I believe we all have free will, within the constraints of a box. Practice can enlarge that box, but it's still a box.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    You guys just wrecked me.

From now on, I'm just gonna sit here at let crap happen to me...

a2c5cx7b0iwf.png
  • Chael2dot0
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »

a2c5cx7b0iwf.png

That's your choice!

:D
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »

a2c5cx7b0iwf.png

That's your choice!

:D

Damn it! You got me there.