1200 calories :#

Options
How does anyone make it on 1200? Day 4 and trying very hard to stay as close as I can to that number but it’s pretty deflating when I complete my diary log and up pops “Congratulations in 5 weeks you’ll be xxx” which is only 3 lbs way from my current weight...wth??? :s:'(:s At that rate it will take me 10+ months to lose 30lbs! That doesn’t seem right. Thoughts, advice, experience?

Replies

• feelinglucky5
    feelinglucky5 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    sarahbums wrote: »
    30lbs in 10 months isn't bad at all, really. That's just under one pound per week, which is what's recommended for most people.

as far as the weight prediction thing, most of us just ignore it. It's almost never accurate because you're not gonna have the exact same # of calories every day.

Thanks for your response. You’re right! I think one of my problems is I want it now so 10 months from now seems like a lifetime :smile:
  • feelinglucky5
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    The "In 5 weeks you'll weigh" function is pointless. All it does is project what you'll weigh if you eat exactly the same number of calories and expend exactly the same number of calories as you did that day. That's really unlikely to happen. I don't bother closing my diary, there's no real reason to.

As far as eating 1200 calories a day, could you give more information - gender, height, age, current weight, goal weight? How many pounds a week did you set your weight loss goal to? That'll give us a better handle on what kind of advice might be useful to you. :)

I’m 45, almost 46. Female. 5 foot 1. 156lbs and I set my weight loss to 1.5lb per week.
  • feelinglucky5
    edited October 2018
    Options
    a9ub1a0p6tlk.jpeg
    This is me in my inspiration dress. Got some work to do!
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    BTW. You look amazing in that dress!
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I've done 1200 a day, it's challenging but once you get the hang of it, it's not as that bad. That being said I was whining to the doc about how slow my weight loss is at 1500 a day. He said you're short- you can do 1200 easily. I was kind of frustrated with that answer even though I knew it was the case. I'm going to go down slowly. I set it at 1400 for the next week or two. See how that goes then drop to 1300 if I think I can do it.
  • feelinglucky5
    Options
    Most days 1200 isn’t that bad but I let myself go up to 1350 if I’m super hungry. That helps. I’m not particularly active right now. I’ll probably have to eat my workout points when I am lol.
  • flatcoatedR
    flatcoatedR Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 calories a day also. I try to keep my carbs also down some, which I think how curbs the hunger.
  • MyEvolvingJourney
    MyEvolvingJourney Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I agree with @amusedmonkey. I made it a goal to try and lose weight on as many calories as possible. Because if I'm constantly hungry it's not going to work. This journey has to be sustainable.
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I use the 1200 calories as my "net" calories target. I am usually at or a bit below that number because of the amount of exercise I do. Gross calories are usually betwee. 1350 and 1500.
  • 73CL350
    73CL350 Posts: 259 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    "If you want sustained weight loss you have to include exercise. Period."

This is 100% false ... and is so ignorant it discredits the remainder of the post.

Then the poster says:
    "The science will always be the same: calories in versus calories out. in order to lose weight you simply have to burn more calories than you consume. "

This is true and is exactly why working out is not necessary for weight loss
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    62 years old, 5'7 and until recently pretty sedentary. I aim for 1200 cals per day plus 50% of anything I have earned through exercise. The 50% is because I think the database overcooks the figures it gives and I don't use a tracking device. Most days it's very do-able, some days I am hungry, in which case I decide whether I have been eating too low or whether I'm just bored and adjust accordingly. I am a bit of a volume eater so I make sure my plate is loaded with veg or salad at meal times - if I don't I get the nibbles after about an hour! :D This cold snap is making me hungry though so I will up the exercise to earn a few more cals to play with. Apart from 7 weeks on a road trip holiday, where I was careful but didn't log, I have been following my plan for around 10 months straight.
  • amberellen12
    amberellen12 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    62 years old, 5'7 and until recently pretty sedentary. I aim for 1200 cals per day plus 50% of anything I have earned through exercise. The 50% is because I think the database overcooks the figures it gives and I don't use a tracking device. Most days it's very do-able, some days I am hungry, in which case I decide whether I have been eating too low or whether I'm just bored and adjust accordingly. I am a bit of a volume eater so I make sure my plate is loaded with veg or salad at meal times - if I don't I get the nibbles after about an hour! :D This cold snap is making me hungry though so I will up the exercise to earn a few more cals to play with. Apart from 7 weeks on a road trip holiday, where I was careful but didn't log, I have been following my plan for around 10 months straight.

And how much weigh were you able to lose? I’m the same age and height and have been struggling. My daily calorie is 1330.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Not enough information. How do you measure 1330 calories? Digital food scale is most accurate. How long have you not been losing? Close to goal weight means weight loss will be super slow. That also means water weight (which fluctuates quite a bit) can throw the numbers off. Weight loss won't be linear.