What I Hate About Watching My Weight/New Lifestyle/Dieting, etc. (A Place to Vent)

Replies

• tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I agree with you that we should not restrict people from being themselves as long as it does not result in negative behavior directed towards others. But I think we are in disagreement about what men are being restricted from.

I don't think we restrict men from showing aggression. I think it is the opposite. I think from a young age, we teach boys that being aggressive is what "it means to be a man". Instead we try to repress vulnerability, sadness, and emotional connection. That is the behavior we try to try to repress through "socialization". We tell boys that only girls talk about their feelings, and "boys don't cry". That leads to us teaching men that bad behavior towards women is okay because they don't need to worry about what others are feeling and that real men objectify women.

I think most men are emotional creatures just like women are, they want to be vulnerable, and form complex, emotional relationships with others, both in friendship and romantically, but many are unable to do that because they have repressed those feelings since childhood.

Do they repress it or just express things differently.

If you've ever read a relationship book, or picked up your mom/sister/wife/girlfriend's coffee table reading, or watch an Oprah style show, you see where the message is men need to change how they approach relationships. They are too angry, or too repressed, or too shallow, or too carnal, or....

I recall an incident about 20+ years ago in the car with my now ex-wife. Probably should have been a red flag now that I look back, but stay with me.

She was reading a Cosmo article and this woman asked why her man didn't seem like he wanted to be around her. The whole list of reasons was things he might be doing wrong. I.E. he might be cheating, he might be stressed at work, he might not really love you....

Nothing suggesting she look at her behavior or anything she may have done. I pointed this out to her and you would think I called her baby ugly. It was inconceivable to her that a woman might have done something wrong in a relationship.

I guess I shouldn't have been shocked that not only did she have an affair when we were married, but somehow it was my fault she chose to have an affair instead of just using her words and having an adult conversation about what she wanted from our relationship that she wasn't getting.

So my point is, there are plenty of people out there, many of them writing books, magazine articles, hosting TV shows, and now on the Interwebs who have no problem suggesting that men need to change their behavior.

Ideas like men are having more affairs than women.

Really? Are they having them with other men? Probably not, meaning the representation of the sexes in affairs is pretty much equal.

But somehow, it's men who have to change their behavior and women are merely victims of that behavior.

Sorry, not buying it.

I'm certainly not a Red-Pill kind of guy. But seeing what passes for professional counsel, I can understand why men buy into it.

There's an awful lot of gendered assumptions in here. I get that you seem to be from a different generation than me so that these things are more internalized in you than they are in me.

But my wife doesn't have coffee table reading or watch Oprah style shows. She did have a countdown clock for when the last Avengers movie came out tho.

You haven't gotten much relationship advice lately if you think it's only all about how "men need to change". I've never seen any relationship advice like that.

That you brought up Red Pill at all is disturbing and that's a rabbit whole I don't want to with you, certainly not on this thread that has been hijacked enough. But this idea that men or oppressed or mistreated and they need to lash out in misogynistic and violent ways in bonkers and anyone who feels this way needs to look at themselves as an individual and fix themselves.

Because overall we still live in a society that is favorable to us and all one has to do to be respected and live well with others is to not be a jerk. It's really not that hard.

Anyways that is all for me (well, I'll try) on this topic, so we can get back to talking about diets and working out.

Odd, so what you are saying is that it is disturbing that I even know about "The Red Pill." I find that is odd.

No one said men need to lash out. So if this is a feeble attempt to suggest I've said that, you are creating a straw man that has no place here. I've simply said that the notion that men are not told to do things, but women are is not true. From that, if anything, you appear to have totally distorted what I'm saying.

Perhaps I'm not clear. But there seem to be subtle messages that you would rather simply marginalize my points instead of trying to understand the reality of what I write.

Perhaps the fact that I may be from a prior generation means I have a bit more life experience. It certainly doesn't mean I'm too old, or too anachronistic to keep up with the modern kids and their modern ways. It seems that's your tacit assertion here.

People need to own their behavior, period, full stop. We can understand the motivations behind those behaviors, be they unfaithful spouses, men who turn their back on 21st Century dating and/or marriage or extremists on the Left and the Right of the political spectrum. Also, not forgetting women who don't wish to be told to smile, or don't wish to face sexual harassment at work, and so on.

Perhaps the way we get to understanding one another is not by marginalizing someone because what they say doesn't fit with our view of how things work, and instead we walk a mile in their shoes, so we can understand how they've come to their views.

I can empathize with the Red Pill guy as much as I can empathize with the woman being told to smile without being either one of them.

I can understand how someone is motivated to fly a jumbo jet into an office building without becoming that person.

I guess it has been about 14 years since I cracked open a relationship book in earnest. The books then were by authors such as Ken Nair "Understand the Mind of a Woman" who, if I were to boil it down, suggest that if a man's wife were engaged in some misconduct such as an affair, it must have been something that her husband did that drove her to an affair.

Frankly, a rather offensive view all around. First, she has no agency at all. Second, only he is held responsible for the state of the relationship.

Other authors, such as Willard Harley who wrote "His Needs, Her Needs..." take a more balanced approach in that both men and women have emotional needs and relationships work best when they work together and seek to meet one another's emotional needs, avoiding "Love Busting" behaviors that destroy romantic love.

But yes, I've not really spent much time on that shelf in my bookcase since 2004.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    mph323 wrote: »
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I have a few.

1. When people say, "But carbs are the debil"! Um, not they're not and unless you want punched, stop saying that!
    2. When people constantly comment on what I'm eating/not eating. MIND YOUR OWN FREAKIN BUSINESS!
    3. When people insist food is "good or bad". Food is inanimate. It's neither good or bad.
    4. When people say, "Oh you're being good today, huh?" when I pass up some food or treat. *insert eyeroll emoji
    5. Knowing how many calories/fat/sodium is in my favorite foods. I'm looking right at you, Chick-fil-A waffle fries and nuggets! :angry:
    6. That delicious sauces, gravies, dressings have so many stinking calories! LET ME LIVE MY LIFE!
    7. That genetics play such a big. Every woman in my family has what I refer to as Pancake Butt. I have to work WAY harder than say, @quiksylver296 to get that #squatbooty and keep it from deflating. It's just not fair!
    8. Oh, and that no matter how much weight I lose, muscle mass I gain, I STILL have a double chin. :angry:

Okay, that was more than a few, but those are the ones that really grind my gears!

:bigsmile:

And she's not even sorry about it! Share the wealth, at least :tongue:

I know! I comment on that all the time, but she insists on being a selfish butt-hoarder. #flatbuttsmattertoo

I snorted. Out loud. At work. :laugh:

Extra points if you were drinking coffee at the time :)

Nope. Darn it. :D
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    I have a few.

1. When people say, "But carbs are the debil"! Um, not they're not and unless you want punched, stop saying that!
    2. When people constantly comment on what I'm eating/not eating. MIND YOUR OWN FREAKIN BUSINESS!
    3. When people insist food is "good or bad". Food is inanimate. It's neither good or bad.
    4. When people say, "Oh you're being good today, huh?" when I pass up some food or treat. *insert eyeroll emoji
    5. Knowing how many calories/fat/sodium is in my favorite foods. I'm looking right at you, Chick-fil-A waffle fries and nuggets! :angry:
    6. That delicious sauces, gravies, dressings have so many stinking calories! LET ME LIVE MY LIFE!
    7. That genetics play such a big. Every woman in my family has what I refer to as Pancake Butt. I have to work WAY harder than say, @quiksylver296 to get that #squatbooty and keep it from deflating. It's just not fair!
    8. Oh, and that no matter how much weight I lose, muscle mass I gain, I STILL have a double chin. :angry:

Okay, that was more than a few, but those are the ones that really grind my gears!
    Snappy rejoinder you'd probably never actually be able to use:

"Not really, but yesterday was my day for eating treats. Today's my day to go around punching people."

THAT, I like!
    It reminds me of this...
    kjv4zu4yjjxp.jpg

I work out so I CAN punch people. In fact, last night I punched a guy in the face. It was an accident, but it was still great. Especially since we were working on bear hugs and I did not get picked up on that one. Successful defense!! Haha. Krav maga is awesome. The first test is based highly on how aggressive you are. If y'all want an excuse to punch things, kick things, and be aggressive while learning to defend yourself, this is the sport for you!
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    skram01 wrote: »
    I have a few.

"Not really, but yesterday was my day for eating treats. Today's my day to go around punching people."

THAT, I like!
    It reminds me of this...
    kjv4zu4yjjxp.jpg

I work out so I CAN punch people. In fact, last night I punched a guy in the face. It was an accident, but it was still great. Especially since we were working on bear hugs and I did not get picked up on that one. Successful defense!! Haha. Krav maga is awesome. The first test is based highly on how aggressive you are. If y'all want an excuse to punch things, kick things, and be aggressive while learning to defend yourself, this is the sport for you!

I train Krav as well!
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    I have a few.

THAT, I like!
    It reminds me of this...
    kjv4zu4yjjxp.jpg

Is Krav like the anti-Karate? :D
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    mph323 wrote: »
    I have a few.

THAT, I like!
    It reminds me of this...
    kjv4zu4yjjxp.jpg

Is Krav like the anti-Karate? :D

Ha. More or less. Not trying to hate on any other style of martial arts, but Krav Maga was developed originally for the Israeli army. It's meant for real life, practical, life or death self defense situations. There are no rules, no point scoring and no ring. It's all about doing whatever it takes to survive. If that means putting a thumb in someone's eye or hitting them over the head with a fire extinguisher, then that's all good.

Ah, like street-fighting - whatever it takes to win. An excellent survival skill.