My family stresses me out.

Options

Replies

• 2020yesyouwill2020
    2020yesyouwill2020 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    And I would be fine driving him if he paid gas money. For the longest time he never offered me gas money until one day I was like dude I don't even work the same shift as you. I work the opposite shift now. Put gas in my car if you borrow it. He told me he spent his last 15 dollars putting gas in my car to pay me back from last week. So then that's strange, I'm sure it cost money to get married in Vegas.
  • 2020yesyouwill2020
    Options
    Which he did after he borrowed my car to get to the airport
  • 2020yesyouwill2020
    Options
    It's like one *kitten* lie after another. I see my dad and his siblings and how they can't stand each other and thought it was weird. Same with my grandparents. I can't believe the people I grew up with are not my best allies but bums.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    You can't choose your family. All you can do is grow up ..get out.. and put up boundries.

IN the meantime, all i can tell you is my husband's brother worked to ruin his young life and make him miserable at home.

Why let a person like that actually be successful? Don't let a troubled or jealouse sibling keep you from achieveing your goals. Try not to let him/her bother you.. limit your exposure to them.. it won't always be like this, that's what is wonderful about being an adult.
  • Milocmolly
    Milocmolly Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Girl my family stresses me the eff out also. I stress eat big time, when my husband pisses me off guess what I do...you got it, I go for the sweets. Family stress is normal. It is finding out how to cope with them that makes the difference. I have learned to remove me from stressful situations. When I do get stressed I get away and will go on a walk, go to a friends house or do something to get my mind off what is going on.
  • Milocmolly
    Milocmolly Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have a co-dependent toxic relationship with one another. Were you guys happened to be raised by a parent either on drugs or with alcoholism? I ask because this type of behavior happens when there is substance abuse present. If that is the case you need to set clear boundaries. It is hard to do at times and it will typically get worse before it gets better. I grew up in a household with alcoholism and had to set those boundaries with my mother, it was hard and still is at times. I can handle her now in small doses before things start to unravel. If you are able to speak with a therapist or counselor to help you set up the boundaries necessary. Just take it one day at a time. Hang in there. Sometimes space is the best thing.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Milocmolly wrote: »
    It sounds like you have a co-dependent toxic relationship with one another. Were you guys happened to be raised by a parent either on drugs or with alcoholism? I ask because this type of behavior happens when there is substance abuse present. If that is the case you need to set clear boundaries. It is hard to do at times and it will typically get worse before it gets better. I grew up in a household with alcoholism and had to set those boundaries with my mother, it was hard and still is at times. I can handle her now in small doses before things start to unravel. If you are able to speak with a therapist or counselor to help you set up the boundaries necessary. Just take it one day at a time. Hang in there. Sometimes space is the best thing.

I agree and I too grew up with an alcoholic mother.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,948 Member
    Options

+2.

I just want to say to OP about "lending" your car.

Are you 100% certain your brother has a valid driver's license? I mean, call the police and ask.

Second, does your insurance cover any damage he does to your car? Call your insurance company and ask. What if Mr. Genius drives it through a rain-swollen creek?

No one drives my car. No. One. Ask me why...

Well, you don't have to ask. You can think of a worst-case scenario of what could happen when/if someone else is driving my car - and that's what happened. No one drives my car except the shop that fixes it.
  • 2020yesyouwill2020
    Options
    Yes my mother was an alcoholic and she passed away from complications due to alcoholism when I was 16. She was functional and fun most of the time, but the memories of her passed out so hadn't be almost 20 years later. I told him I was angry and that I was done with helping him in anyway. He doesn't respond with anger but says he has a right to choose his happiness. That he thought he could do both, marry her and still rely on me to help him get to where he needs to be. What I've been doing for almost 2 years. I guess it makes it easier that he insert mad with me. But he does this all the time. When he first moved out we, my fiance actually, bought him a new TV for his place. Instead of waiting 1 day for it to ship, he rented a moving van, bought a TV, and moved in. When I asked why he was flat broke after payday he confessed he bought a TV until his new TV would get here, andexpected new to take him to return it once the TV arrived. He couldn't understand why I'd mad with him.
  • 2020yesyouwill2020
    Options
    I need to go on and on.... But I shouldn't
  • cmriverside
    Options
    It sounds to me like your brother might also have a drink or drug problem?
  • RredSonja
    RredSonja Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    You need to get past the idea that you are trapped.

He can still have your love and care - by appointment - over dinner - his treat.

This.

Borrow or beg to get your kid cared for, and start hunting up another job. Don’t just tell us your plight, tell people around you, and your co-workers. Maybe a woman on another shift can trade you child care. Maybe an elderly neighbor would love the company of s child. Tell your boss you must have a different shift, or she/he will lose you.

Be comfortable asking for and accepting help. It sounds like you are used to being the one giving help. Right now, that needs to change. Just like the oxygen masks on the airplane - help yourself first, then, and only then, you can help others.

It sounds like this might not be the time for dieting. Just log, and try for healthy food choices and no more gain. You have a lot going on. One thing at a time. It will be much, much easier to lose weight once you set solid boundaries for your relationships, and get your son’s care settled.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

+2.

Are you 100% certain your brother has a valid driver's license? I mean, call the police and ask.

Second, does your insurance cover any damage he does to your car? Call your insurance company and ask. What if Mr. Genius drives it through a rain-swollen creek?

Well, you don't have to ask. You can think of a worst-case scenario of what could happen when/if someone else is driving my car - and that's what happened. No one drives my car except the shop that fixes it.

the police may not know,unless he was arrested for say a DUI/DWI or something else where he was cited or arrested for it, but the DMV should. but not sure if they would give out that info or not to be honest.
  • 2020yesyouwill2020
    Options
    He doesn't have a drug problem! It's crazy. The driving my car part is when I'm just way too tired from working nights to wake up early enough to go get him and do all of my motherly chores before I depart for work. Everything is settled now. I reached out to my friend who watches him occasionally for me and she said no matter what she will be there for me. So a little more than 2 months and I won't have to inconvenience her and my stress will go way down. My brother has offered to still let my son stay there but I can't be around my brother at all and again, greatly dislike leaving him there. His new wife is an old childhood friend of mine and I accept her into the family completely. Under other circumstances I would be thrilled to have her here. To mooch off of me also? Not so thrilled. My brother offered to pay me when he gets paid but my biggest quarrel is I told him don't bother calling me. You have 2 people living with you now, you're making adult decisions, you can find a way from the airport, I'll be asleep. Of course at 10 the night before he's asking me to get them the next day. And I'm just looking at the text, dumb founded. My fiance showed me the FB update that he got married and I was like nah that's a joke, he wouldn't waste his money on that right now to someone hes been talking to online for 4 months. I told them it was a joke when I picked them up and they both just looked at me like I was stupid. That was the line. I feel much better. He said he's not upset with me and understands. Good for him. I'm still super hateful right now but that's on me for letting it happen for so long and trusting him to do right. He believes he is. So he can do it on his own time. So yeah, the waters are settling down but in the moment yesterday I couldn't handle it. I just wanted to scream but what type of welcome home is that to a newly wed?
  • cmriverside
    Options

+2.

the police may not know,unless he was arrested for say a DUI/DWI or something else where he was cited or arrested for it, but the DMV should. but not sure if they would give out that info or not to be honest.

When I had an issue the police told me. A valid DL is public record.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

+2.

When I had an issue the police told me. A valid DL is public record.

huh if you call the police here they will tell you that you have to contact the DMV. as they dont keep those records in their database but they can run throught the DMV database (being police and all) and see if someone has a license. but they dont just willingly give out that info here. it must vary state to state.
  • heartofhearts
    heartofhearts Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It's best to not be around those "triggers" if you're able to live on your own/by yourself. I have family that I cannot be around period because they are solely negative each time I'm around them. They deplete my spirit & energy. They may talk crap about me & try to make me feel worse by saying how I'm weird because of it or something else negative but that's the way it goes. It's depressing to have no support system around me but this is why I'm here. Also, I know I have to learn to do this without them.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I need to go on and on.... But I shouldn't

Actually, instead of 'on and on' you might try Al-Anon.

Or anything that will allow you to figure out a healthier way to manage this relationship. Because [almost] worse than the harm you are doing to yourself is the harm you are doing to him by allowing him to avoid having to become responsible for his actions.

Doing this would also force you to examine why you feel it's so important to infantalize him by facilitating his bad behaviors. I should warn you that this could be painful. As could the consequence of changing.

Your other option is to continue with things the way they are. Which may be the decision you make. But, then, having made that decision, best to live with it and stop complaining about it.