Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Halloween Issues

Options

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    I remember when a group of us were trick-or-treating near UCLA, back in the mid-1980's. At one house, a man came to the door, saying solemnly "I'm sorry, we have no more candy." He looked and sounded just like Leonard Nimoy! I thought No, this isn't possible, why would he even come to the door? He'd get inundated by fans! You'd think he would hide in the house. And no, I didn't say anything to him other than "Thank you anyway"
    Recently I posted this experience on a Facebook page. One guy replied "Was it on _______ Dr.? That WAS him" :o

That's awesome!!
  • OddDitty
    OddDitty Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm probably older than most contributors here. But please walk with me down memory lane a bit if you will.

Believe it or not, candy wasn't the only thing- or even the main thing- children got when trick or treating. Homemade goodies, fruits and nuts actually topped the list. Even back in the 50's and early 60's, these were mainline treats.

What I've done most of the time is host a party for children where I make the goodies and have parents contribute goodies. Candy was there, yes, but not the main attraction. Children loved the home made brownies, cupcakes and other things. And today, with the food tolerance issues so many children seem to have, this may be the best alternative. Especially given that nobody seems to trust home made treats given to children. The "razor blade in the apple" scare stopped all trust.

Well that and some creeps of the 70s stuffing pot into brownies.

If anyone is sincerely looking for an environment for Halloween where their child won't feel left out, I would suggest the Halloween party approach.

Hope this helps someone!
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    OddDitty wrote: »
    I'm probably older than most contributors here. But please walk with me down memory lane a bit if you will.

Believe it or not, candy wasn't the only thing- or even the main thing- children got when trick or treating. Homemade goodies, fruits and nuts actually topped the list. Even back in the 50's and early 60's, these were mainline treats.

What I've done most of the time is host a party for children where I make the goodies and have parents contribute goodies. Candy was there, yes, but not the main attraction. Children loved the home made brownies, cupcakes and other things. And today, with the food tolerance issues so many children seem to have, this may be the best alternative. Especially given that nobody seems to trust home made treats given to children. The "razor blade in the apple" scare stopped all trust.

If anyone is sincerely looking for an environment for Halloween where their child won't feel left out, I would suggest the Halloween party approach.

Hope this helps someone!

Even trick-or-treating in the 80's for me was like you describe. We were in a rural area and knew or knew of most of the folks around so getting homemade stuff was fine. We did sort through it once we got home for any oddities but there was never an issue. Then, like Charlie Brown and his buds, we'd head over to someone's home and have a bit of a party. We had so much fun the build up to Halloween was like the build up to Christmas.
  • kami3006
    Options
    My only Halloween issue now is whether to buy some Reese's pb Christmas Trees along with the pb pumpkins. I mean, they're right next to each other, how can I not?
  • pinuplove
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    kami3006 wrote: »
    My only Halloween issue now is whether to buy some Reese's pb Christmas Trees along with the pb pumpkins. I mean, they're right next to each other, how can I not?

Um, because it's not *kitten* christmas time??? Why don't you just buy some peeps, too?

Have some respect will ya?

Yes, but the pb to chocolate ratio on the trees is so much better! Save your outrage for the retailers playing Christmas carols in October :tongue:
  • kami3006
    Options

Um, because it's not *kitten* christmas time??? Why don't you just buy some peeps, too?

Hey now, I didn't put them there. And really, if it says Reese's Peanut Butter ....the rest of the writing is a blur.

(It is really irksome to have the stuff together so freaking early though...totally agree with that.)

P.S. NO PEEP ZONE HERE. bleh
  • kami3006
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

Yes, but the pb to chocolate ratio on the trees is so much better! Save your outrage for the retailers playing Christmas carols in October :tongue:

It is a better ratio! :p
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

Hope this helps someone!

Even trick-or-treating in the 80's for me was like you describe. We were in a rural area and knew or knew of most of the folks around so getting homemade stuff was fine. We did sort through it once we got home for any oddities but there was never an issue. Then, like Charlie Brown and his buds, we'd head over to someone's home and have a bit of a party. We had so much fun the build up to Halloween was like the build up to Christmas.

Oh yeah. I grew up rural in the 80s and there were several people who loved Halloween to show off their skills. Our neighbor made some legendary popcorn balls and we waited all year to get the next one. Another made pumpkin toffee. Another cream puffs with pumpkin filling.

In our neighborhood there's one couple that served shots to the adults. Think we're following their lead this year.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options

Maybe I'm just jaded... halloween candy AND christmas candy, but no Cadbury Mini Eggs (easter candy)??? #sadface
  • pinuplove
    Options

Maybe I'm just jaded... halloween candy AND christmas candy, but no Cadbury Mini Eggs (easter candy)??? #sadface

Wait for Dec 26th :lol:
  • kami3006
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

Hope this helps someone!

Oh yeah. I grew up rural in the 80s and there were several people who loved Halloween to show off their skills. Our neighbor made some legendary popcorn balls and we waited all year to get the next one. Another made pumpkin toffee. Another cream puffs with pumpkin filling.

In our neighborhood there's one couple that served shots to the adults. Think we're following their lead this year.

Hope you have a wonderful time!
  • pinuplove
    Options

Hey now, I didn't put them there. And really, if it says Reese's Peanut Butter ....the rest of the writing is a blur.

(It is really irksome to have the stuff together so freaking early though...totally agree with that.)

P.S. NO PEEP ZONE HERE. bleh

Peeps are gross. Reese's pb eggs all the way!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    See, gertrude hawk has the answer. They offer the same PB-filled chocolate candy year round, they just change the shape it's in... pumpkins vs trees vs hearts vs eggs vs non-denomonational/holiday vs ...

Smidgens for the win.
  • kami3006
    edited October 2018
    Options
    See, gertrude hawk has the answer. They offer the same PB-filled chocolate candy year round, they just change the shape it's in... pumpkins vs trees vs hearts vs eggs vs non-denomonational/holiday vs ...

Smidgens for the win.

Should really see a doctor for that.

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    My wife is dairy free but that comic is hysterical. I eat the way she does, which makes most Halloween candy off limits (except the Skittles and DumbDumb Pops, both of which I'm not a huge fan of). A couple of years ago, we started making two trays of candy for ourselves -- one a Dairy Free Take 5 and the other a Mounds Bar (also dairy free). We use mini muffin tins and make enough to satisfy our sweet tooth and not overindulge. That has helped me get through Halloween pretty well.

Ours probably aren't as good as the real Take 5s, which should go in the candy Hall of Fame IMO, but they are pretty good.

BTW, I just bought our candy yesterday. I'm completely fascinated by the KitKat bar that comes in a Glow in the Dark wrapper. That should go over huge on Halloween.

We are moving to an "active adult" community early next year and aren't certain if we will ever see kids there, so we're doing it up this year, big time.
  • arieswrite1
    arieswrite1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I don't have any kids but love to hand out candy and see costumes. This year I put together treat bags with two chocolate items, two non-chocolate items, and a small notebook. Hopefully everyone can have at least one thing in the bag, and it's clear so parents can see what's in there.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to add, but just clicked through and gave 1-click Hugs to those who steal from their children, whether for safety or (especially) self-gratification (get a shrink and maybe turn yourself into the local cops if that’s you, for kittens’ sake!) or have been the victim of such atrocities (if that's you and your parents are still alive, turn them over to authorities and get a shrink to share as a family.) You deserve better than that! <3:*
  • newmeadow
    newmeadow Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    You parents. Follow behind your trick or treaters in your Volvo and keep a written log of every address where they demand candy. Then, within 48 hours of trick or treating, make your children compose handwritten thank you cards to each and every address, stamp them and mail them. It's the polite way
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    We don't celebrate Halloween but since I live a couple doors down from a primary school we have a Christmas basket (only basket I have ) with little packs of chocolate, gummy sweets, vegetarian gummy sweets and crayons. I don't want my house egged lol