Body changes in age 30 s

Options
Does anyone else notice your body composition changes in your late 20's and 30's? I feel like my body quits losing weight at a certain point and feel my stomach is flabbier despite lifting weights etc...😣 my size in clothes is differ ent too even without really gaining much weight. Anyone else?

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I am 44(started 5 years ago and became more serious about my health and how my body looks) and I am in better shape. at a smaller size(in clothing) at a higher weight than I was in my teens,20s and early 30s.I have less health issues too. my asthma and breathing is also a lot better,I sleep like a normal person(I was a night owl and no matter what kind of schedule I was on I didnt sleep much,I couldnt sleep no matter how hard I tried.I have less belly fat now too compared to when i was in my teens and 20s.I want to be one of those in shape sexy grandmas(still need the grandkids though and dont think that will ever happen as neither of my 2 adult kids want kids)
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Morty90210 wrote: »
    Yes I feel like I have to starve to maintain my weight and I exercise everyday 😣

Mess with your macros. Eat for volume. It’s mostly mental. This is also why I personally run bulks and cuts. I’d rather be full or hungry. Right at maintenance And it’s harder then cutting as crazy at that’s sounds. The progress is also far to slow for me personally
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    jdog022 wrote: »
    Morty90210 wrote: »
    Yes I feel like I have to starve to maintain my weight and I exercise everyday 😣

Mess with your macros. Eat for volume. It’s mostly mental. This is also why I personally run bulks and cuts. I’d rather be full or hungry. Right at maintenance And it’s harder then cutting as crazy at that’s sounds. The progress is also far to slow for me personally

^ indeed. Also, evaluate your lifting/exercise program. With a good, proven program you can progress without having to bust your *kitten* every day. Not that I want to discourage regular exercise but quality usually beats quantity with lifting.
  • RunForPizza88
    RunForPizza88 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Nope!
    Looking better now in my 30s than in my 20s. Just dropped a stone so I’m back to the weight I was age 21 but I look better this time cause I have less fat and more muscle.
    The few bits of clothes I still have from 10 years ago fit just great.
    As others have said, it’s usually due to being more inactive, drop in BMR from age 20 to age 30 would be minimal I would imagine!
  • fraukazi
    fraukazi Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I have noticed it take more effort to keep weight off in my 30s, but as many said, there are also lifestyle changes. I used to cycle to wor, now I take the tube. I used to spend most weekends out dancing and evenings in the gym, now I'm on the sofa with a take away (well really now, it's all weighed and within my cals) and run with a plan... I think it is a combination of things
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Seriously, enjoy your 30’s! Eat sensibly, stay active and exercise, and that goes for any age ;)

I feel my best at 44 than I ever have in my younger years and I credit that to maintaining a healthy weight and exercising regularly for the first time in my previously sedentary life :)
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    It is definitely harder to lose weight at 39 than it was at 29 and I will always have a little loose skin pouch on my lower abdomen now after pregnancy and weight loss so yes my body has changed. On the other side I had never attempted compound lifts until I was 35 and am much stronger now than I was in my 20s. My arms and shoulder muscle are so much more defined now.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    I was in the best shape of my life in my 30s.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I lost weight more easily in my younger years. I think the tipping point for me was pregnancy tho - after pregnancy it became hard AF to lose weight. Now in my early 40's I weigh more than I did in my 20s/early 30's but I am the same size (sometimes even smaller - not sure how much is due to vanity sizing these days though, coz I was always an AU size 8 and now I can fit a size AU6 with ease).

My stomach however is definitely flabbier.

I think the biggest change has been as mentioned above - more sedentary (now I have to work out at the gym, before I just, I dunno, walked around and stuff) lifestyle. And with a kid much less spontaneity.

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I am in far better shape at 35 than I was at 25. The difference is that I started exercising and losing weight in my late 20s. At 25 I was morbidly obese; was on medication for high cholesterol, high triglycerides, and borderline insulin resistance; and could barely run for a full minute. Now I am in an optimal BMI range, all of my numbers are excellent without medication, and I am tapering for my fifth half marathon. There is nothing inherent about your 30s that means you will be less fit. Physical fitness is dependent on your actions, and many people maintain a high level of fitness well past their 30s.

It's not clear from your posts whether you are trying to lose or maintain, but regardless, the idea that the body just can't lose past a certain weight is a myth. Your body does not "quit losing weight at a certain point." If your weight is stable, then you're eating at maintenance. If you intend to be in a deficit yet are not losing weight, then something is off with your logging (the most likely answer) or something is medically wrong.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I was lean lik-a-mo-fo when i was in my 30's (6 years on the army). I'm 61 now and will probably never be in that good a shape again, but i exercise daily and am at a pretty good fitness level for my age.

Ya can't beat the clock, but ya can sure put up one hell of a fight. :)