Thanksgiving splurge?

Options

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Ruatine wrote: »
    I just love the perfect bite at Thanksgiving - a bit of turkey breast, mashed potato, stuffing, gravy and fresh cranberry sauce on my fork. Yum! :yum:

Leftovers are huge for my family. I'm currently undecided whether I want to make turkey soup with the leftovers in addition to turkey sandwiches. Decisions, decisions....

One of my favorite Thanksgiving dishes is meat stuffing. Potatoes, ground pork, ground sausage, onion, salt, pepper and Bell's seasoning. Any leftovers get stuffed into a savory pie to be frozen and eaten at a later date. I'm pretty sure it's a French Canadian thing... at least the recipe comes from that side of my family.

The correct answer for leftover turkey is turkey pot pie.

That meat stuffing (and the leftover pie) sounds good!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I just love the perfect bite at Thanksgiving - a bit of turkey breast, mashed potato, stuffing, gravy and fresh cranberry sauce on my fork. Yum! :yum:

Leftovers are huge for my family. I'm currently undecided whether I want to make turkey soup with the leftovers in addition to turkey sandwiches. Decisions, decisions....

One of my favorite Thanksgiving dishes is meat stuffing. Potatoes, ground pork, ground sausage, onion, salt, pepper and Bell's seasoning. Any leftovers get stuffed into a savory pie to be frozen and eaten at a later date. I'm pretty sure it's a French Canadian thing... at least the recipe comes from that side of my family.

Agreed!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

Agreed!

But you don't agree with leftover turkey pot pie? :cry:
  • quiksylver296
    Options

Agreed!

But you don't agree with leftover turkey pot pie? :cry:

I've never tried, but I love pot pie! KFC does a decent chicken one.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    :D Turkey pot pie is tasty, but I feel like turkey soup goes really well with turkey sandwiches. Goodness.. I'm starting to drool.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    My grandmother's stuffing! I have made it for my family the last few years since my grandmother passed, and let me tell ya....I only eat the turkey and potatoes out of obligation. A perfect Thanksgiving dinner for me would just be a big bowl of that stuffing.

A guest once asked me if it was vegetarian-friendly. Ha, no...not with the ground pork sausage that cooks into it and all the pork grease gets soaked up by the bread.
  • megbeveridge93
    megbeveridge93 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I love my own homemade apple pie, I haven't eaten one that I liked more. Also sweet potatoes with that buttery brown sugar topping yummm! And homemade stuffing! My mom makes a separate vegetarian portion for me and it is the bomb!
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving is fast approaching (in the States. Our Canadian friends already celebrated). What is the Thanksgiving splurge that you are most looking forward to? I plan on eating ALL THE THINGZ, with zero *kittens* given. However, I make this Samoa pie and I plan to stuff myself on it! Although my 14-year-old has said I need to make two, because he plans to eat one all by himself. :D

4e77wqq4y5qd.jpg

Is that pie like the girl scout cookie???? But in pie form?!!?
    I NEED THIS IN MY LIFE.....
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    No no no! Homemade rolls! I have to dust off my Kitchen-aid mixer a couple of times a year or I feel sorry for it...

Recipe please. I am always in charge of the dinner rolls but have yet to find a recipe that is "just right". My Kitchenaid gets dusted off a few times per year too, mostly around Christmas but always at Thanksgiving and occasionally Easter if we have a family dinner.

Uhhh it changes every time :lol:This one is pretty close. Sometimes I ditch the instant mashed potatoes because I don't keep those on hand. Sometimes I add an egg and I usually use milk instead of the dry milk (replacing some or all of the water).

Ok, so it's not really much at all like this :laugh: But KAF is usually a good go-to for recipes.

Sounds like most of my bread "recipes". I make one that usually goes over really well that has a bit of cornmeal in it. They are a bit more dense than the typical fluffy dinner roll but the cornmeal adds a great flavor. It is pretty similar to any dinner roll but you add 1/3 cup cornmeal to the dough (soak it in the water/milk a little bit first to soften).
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Why on earth did I open this thread? Sooo many yummy things. Now I’m Hungry!!!!
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Not a big fan of pumpkin pie (or pumpkin anything, really). But I make a mean homemade apple pie, with fresh whipped cream. Stuffing and gravy, and cranberry sauce, are my Thanksgiving favorites.

Not a fan of pumpkin either. When asked to bring an alternate dessert to Thanksgiving dinner I usually make my somewhat famous apple-cranberry pie. Basically, I make it just like my usual apple pie but I throw a few handfulls of whole cranberries into the filling.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Chipotle sweet potatoes and stuffing

Bro... send me that recipe!
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    tinak33 wrote: »
    Thanksgiving is fast approaching (in the States. Our Canadian friends already celebrated). What is the Thanksgiving splurge that you are most looking forward to? I plan on eating ALL THE THINGZ, with zero *kittens* given. However, I make this Samoa pie and I plan to stuff myself on it! Although my 14-year-old has said I need to make two, because he plans to eat one all by himself. :D

4e77wqq4y5qd.jpg

You know it! ;)
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    tinak33 wrote: »

4e77wqq4y5qd.jpg

You know it! ;)

Got the recipe. Thanks for posting! Totally making this. <3<3
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving I whatever I want in whatever quantities I want. No tracking that day.
  • FrostysHouse
    FrostysHouse Posts: 20 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    A lot of dressing, a little turkey, and loads of cranberry sauce. I don't necessarily need anything else, but I love all the veggie sides, like Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes. And then pie - always pumpkin and pecan, supplemented with whatever else sounds good that year.

Ideally, there will also be pie for breakfast the next morning.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Chipotle sweet potatoes and stuffing

Bro... send me that recipe!

I don't have one for the chipotle sweet potatoes...it's something my mom makes every year since like the dawn of time and I think she just wings it.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    No no no! Homemade rolls! I have to dust off my Kitchen-aid mixer a couple of times a year or I feel sorry for it...

qw1c1j5ih00t.jpg

Yas!!! Homemade is the best. My favorite is to make the dough and then form the bun around some cheese and garlic sausage. Of course, that's not a traditional Thanksgiving food, but it's my favorite homemade bun.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

qw1c1j5ih00t.jpg

Recipe please. I am always in charge of the dinner rolls but have yet to find a recipe that is "just right". My Kitchenaid gets dusted off a few times per year too, mostly around Christmas but always at Thanksgiving and occasionally Easter if we have a family dinner.

Maybe it's just me, but I find the best recipes are the ones found in the older, more traditional cookbooks.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

qw1c1j5ih00t.jpg

Yas!!! Homemade is the best. My favorite is to make the dough and then form the bun around some cheese and garlic sausage. Of course, that's not a traditional Thanksgiving food, but it's my favorite homemade bun.

Back in grade school the hot lunches were sensitive to the dietary restrictions of Catholic students so Fridays were either fish or cheese (fish sticks, tuna casserole, mac and cheese, etc). The absolutely best day was when they made cheese buns. Homemade buttery yeast dough wrapped around a chunk of cheddar cheese and baked, then brushed with more butter. When they started baking, the smell would waft throughout the building so our mouths were watering long before we got in line.