Thanksgiving splurge?

Options

Replies

• MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    Oh, and Quik, are we doing the 5000 calorie Thanksgiving Day food challenge this year?! I'm totally in if we are!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    Oh, and Quik, are we doing the 5000 calorie Thanksgiving Day food challenge this year?! I'm totally in if we are!

Only 5000?!? :laugh:

Yes, I'm totally in! That pie is like 800 calories per slice!
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options

Only 5000?!? :laugh:

Yes, I'm totally in! That pie is like 800 calories per slice!

Ooooh, I'll have to step my game up for sure! If we end up going to the movies like we have been, I will have no problem hitting 5000!
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    I once did a bacon-covered turkey, it was delicious, the gravy was devine, and the biggest bonus is you get bacon to eat. Should help getting up over 5000 cals.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    Pretty much my entire family went vegan this year, and my in laws only eat lasagna for thanksgiving (no they aren’t Italian, they’re Jewish) so I don’t know what I’ll end up doing. My husband isn’t big into thanksgiving because of the lasagna thing. I’m thinking maybe some slow cooker turkey thighs and some sides? And that pie, definitely that pie. Is making a full turkey worth it? I’ve never made one before:..

Figure out which restaurants will be open and let someone else do the cooking, if you're not doing the family thing! Then have a dessert bar at home :smiley:

Turkeys can be tricky. There's a narrow window between food poisoning and shoe leather :tongue: If you do decide to try your hand, I recommend a good meat thermometer and Alton Brown's turkey survival guide https://altonbrown.com/thanksgiving-turkey-survival-guide/

I do a 36 hr brine on my Turkey breast before smoking. I also braise the breast in a mixture of stock, wine and herbs when I smoke it. Keeps it juicy.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Back in grade school the hot lunches were sensitive to the dietary restrictions of Catholic students so Fridays were either fish or cheese (fish sticks, tuna casserole, mac and cheese, etc). The absolutely best day was when they made cheese buns. Homemade buttery yeast dough wrapped around a chunk of cheddar cheese and baked, then brushed with more butter. When they started baking, the smell would waft throughout the building so our mouths were watering long before we got in line.
    I've had those!!! I don't remember when or where, but I have had them! SO. Freaking. Good!

Even now, 50+ years later students from my school are waxing rhapsodic about the cheese buns at hot lunch. It comes up at least once a month on the alumni Facebook page.

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Pretty much my entire family went vegan this year, and my in laws only eat lasagna for thanksgiving (no they aren’t Italian, they’re Jewish) so I don’t know what I’ll end up doing. My husband isn’t big into thanksgiving because of the lasagna thing. I’m thinking maybe some slow cooker turkey thighs and some sides? And that pie, definitely that pie. Is making a full turkey worth it? I’ve never made one before:..

Figure out which restaurants will be open and let someone else do the cooking, if you're not doing the family thing! Then have a dessert bar at home :smiley:

Turkeys can be tricky. There's a narrow window between food poisoning and shoe leather :tongue: If you do decide to try your hand, I recommend a good meat thermometer and Alton Brown's turkey survival guide https://altonbrown.com/thanksgiving-turkey-survival-guide/

I do a 36 hr brine on my Turkey breast before smoking. I also braise the breast in a mixture of stock, wine and herbs when I smoke it. Keeps it juicy.

Bone in, I assume? Do you ever smoke a whole turkey?

We've gotten fairly good at roasting ours in the oven. It just takes some babysitting near the end. It's very hard to find birds that aren't already injected with a solution around here, which makes brining inadvisable. Too bad, because in the years we were able to find and brine them ourselves they were much better! Might be worth a trip to Dallas this year to find one 🤔
  • earlnabby
    Options

We've gotten fairly good at roasting ours in the oven. It just takes some babysitting near the end. It's very hard to find birds that aren't already injected with a solution around here, which makes brining inadvisable. Too bad, because in the years we were able to find and brine them ourselves they were much better! Might be worth a trip to Dallas this year to find one 🤔

We have a farm about 45 minutes from here and always get a fresh turkey from them, nothing added. They also sell fresh or frozen roasting chickens, Muscovy ducks, and sometimes have rabbits. Oh, they also grow and sell the best popcorn.
  • psychod787
    Options

I took a wild Turkey hunting. He is waiting on the freezer as we speak. No body damage. Actually shot him in the neck!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

I took a wild Turkey hunting. He is waiting on the freezer as we speak. No body damage. Actually shot him in the neck!

You took him hunting with you then shot him in the neck? How rude! :lol:

I hope he's not as skinny as the one my sister in law provided us with one year.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I read that as you took Wild Turkey hunting and thought "It's a bit cheap for me, but ok." :laugh:

86jxm1kcoju4.png

This is what I was thinking. Kill the bottle at the end of the day though, drinking while hunting seems like a bad idea. Especially if you also have an antler hat wearing friend.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I read that as you took Wild Turkey hunting and thought "It's a bit cheap for me, but ok." :laugh:

86jxm1kcoju4.png

This is what I was thinking. Kill the bottle at the end of the day though, drinking while hunting seems like a bad idea. Especially if you also have an antler hat wearing friend.

Yes. That's how it should be done. No drunken hunting!
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    Homemade pumpkin cheesecake with gingersnap crust. And a dollop of real whipped cream.

I don't think we're hosting this year, due to a litter of puppies and an ongoing remodeling project taking up the kitchen space.

We'll probable make the grown up version of this the weekend after, just for the leftovers. We raise them so they're never injected with junk.

xt2zisdgbr6m.png
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    I once did a bacon-covered turkey, it was delicious, the gravy was devine, and the biggest bonus is you get bacon to eat. Should help getting up over 5000 cals.

cgjbnwrwe80r.jpg
  • psychod787
    Options

86jxm1kcoju4.png

You laugh about that. There was a guy about 10 years ago that did that. He thought he was going to play a joke on his buddy. Strapped antlers to his head. Got shot. That's why you never pull the trigger useless you are sure of your target.
  • earlnabby
    Options

86jxm1kcoju4.png

You laugh about that. There was a guy about 10 years ago that did that. He thought he was going to play a joke on his buddy. Strapped antlers to his head. Got shot. That's why you never pull the trigger useless you are sure of your target.

That rule is known in these parts as "Thirty Point Buck"

Treat every gun as though it is loaded
    Point away from people, houses, and cars
    Be sure of your target and beyond
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I won't actually put bacon on the pecan pie I make, but you can bet after seeing this if bacon and pecan pie co-exist in my house at some point I will be putting them on the same plate!

*******Actually the proper way to do this is to bake bacon drizzled in maple syrup and then mix the pieces into the pecans :) Just sayin'