Do you ever comment on unrealistic logging by friends?

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    When I first joined here I noticed a lot of people logging cleaning, breastfeeding, walking the mailbox, pushing a grocery buggy as exercise. I even asked if that was what we were supposed to be doing here because I couldn't understand why that stuff wasn't already included in daily activities. ( It was, I just didn't know yet)
    These people said that the activities needed to be logged and that is why they are in the database.
    I did some poking around and saw what formula mfp was using and then realized that those things are indeed accounted for in our activity level.
    I thought it was ironic that those same people cried about not losing weight all the time.

The breastfeeding entry is valid, isn't it? Thought it was like 500 extra calories a day or something? How else would you log it? I guess you could change your activity level but that seems six of one a half dozen of the other.

Yes, you need to eat more breastfeeding since you are 'giving away' a bunch of your calories.
    I suppose when non-moms see it as 'activity', it might be surprising. But consuming about 500 calories extra per day is recommended by all breastfeeding organizations...

Seen many have success on something I saw and pass on.

Don't take a deficit, but then don't account for the give-away calories. That is your deficit.

As the give-away becomes less and less as time goes on - it matches as the weight is lost and the rate should become less and less anyway.

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    What and how people log is their own business unless they ask for help.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    When I first joined here I noticed a lot of people logging cleaning, breastfeeding, walking the mailbox, pushing a grocery buggy as exercise. I even asked if that was what we were supposed to be doing here because I couldn't understand why that stuff wasn't already included in daily activities. ( It was, I just didn't know yet)
    These people said that the activities needed to be logged and that is why they are in the database.
    I did some poking around and saw what formula mfp was using and then realized that those things are indeed accounted for in our activity level.
    I thought it was ironic that those same people cried about not losing weight all the time.

The breastfeeding entry is valid, isn't it? Thought it was like 500 extra calories a day or something? How else would you log it? I guess you could change your activity level but that seems six of one a half dozen of the other.

Yes, you need to eat more breastfeeding since you are 'giving away' a bunch of your calories.
    I suppose when non-moms see it as 'activity', it might be surprising. But consuming about 500 calories extra per day is recommended by all breastfeeding organizations...

Don't take a deficit, but then don't account for the give-away calories. That is your deficit.

As the give-away becomes less and less as time goes on - it matches as the weight is lost and the rate should become less and less anyway.

Yes, that is what I did. (in other words, eat at maintenance and don't log 'breastfeeding')

But some peeps want to, sooooo whatev..
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options

I don’t have an indoor trainer-just a plain regular exercise bike. So I have to manually enter the distance - but not until after Garmin has altready synced my leisurely 0mph ride. It already has my cycling vo2max as “did you actually pedal?”. Clearly, Garmin is unimpressed with my cycling prowess.

I love it when I bust my rear in a workout and my Garmin lists it as "unproductive", lol
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

Not everyone who breastfeeds burns 500 calories. The number may be accurate for people who have a young baby who nurses frequently, but for me it would have resulted in less than a .5 lb loss per week because I was nursing an older baby. I needed to log the calories from breastfeeding to keep supply up while still being able to lose a pound per week, and there was a lot of trial and error and looking at trends to be able to estimate the burn.

It's a good potential approach if someone is trying to tackle weight loss relatively soon after a baby's birth, but for others that approach could just result in frustration over why the scale is barely moving.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,984 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    It's interesting how many people on here are commenting that they don't even bother looking at their news feeds. Then I'm honestly curious why you have friends on here? I don't mean it in a bad or negative way. It's totally cool to do your own thing and not really want to get involved in all of that. And if its people you talk to regularly through message or some other way, obviously that is different. But why be friends with a bunch of strangers on here if you don't have any interest in interacting with what they post?

I don't offer unsolicited advice on calorie burns, but I certainly read the news feed and like and comment on people's stuff. I know that a lot of people get motivated to do more and post more when they are getting interaction. That is sometimes what can lead to logging daily activity with inappropriate burns, but it also inspires people to eat better and do more exercise.

Well for me, since I was one of the people who said that ........... yes some people get motivated more when they have personal interaction and so the friends and newsfeed thing works for them.

I am not one of those people and I would be quite happy with no MFP friends and I have never sent a friend request or responded to any of the Friends Wanted threads.

The only friends I have are those who for some reason sent me a friend request, early on I accepted them unconditionally because that's what you do.
    I now respond to any saying I am not a good quality friend and really do not interact in the news feeds.

Probably all my former friends have now deleted me anyway. :D:D
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I'm a big believer in self-reliance/self-help. By not calling out BS, hopefully, overtime, said person will come to the realization that something is not right in terms of measuring accuracy, consistency, precision, etc. Best he/she learn the hard way through trial & error with gaining experience him/herself.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    It's interesting how many people on here are commenting that they don't even bother looking at their news feeds. Then I'm honestly curious why you have friends on here? I don't mean it in a bad or negative way. It's totally cool to do your own thing and not really want to get involved in all of that. And if its people you talk to regularly through message or some other way, obviously that is different. But why be friends with a bunch of strangers on here if you don't have any interest in interacting with what they post?

One I know in real life. One I know from another forum. The other three are people who asked me and I thought “why not”, only one of them is regularly posting, so really I could get rid of the other two.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options

I don't offer unsolicited advice on calorie burns, but I certainly read the news feed and like and comment on people's stuff. I know that a lot of people get motivated to do more and post more when they are getting interaction. That is sometimes what can lead to logging daily activity with inappropriate burns, but it also inspires people to eat better and do more exercise.

I'm with you. I don't go down the list and like every auto update but I'll check in on diaries sometimes and share a thought (nice pretzels, whatever) or if they post something deliberate I'll make the effort to pay attention. Over time it narrows down to a few who are there consistently and you get friendly with them. I will say, the MFP feed format is brutal for trying to carry on extended back and forth, no threading or reliable notifications make it a drag. A lot of friends request are newcomers who see you on the board and "collect" friends in the hope that this audience or group will have some effect on their efforts, but as social media goes, this ain't that kind of tool. I go through and clear out inactive every now and then.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    After this thread got me thinking about it, I just thinned my list *way* down. One of the people I was going to keep because I enjoyed her posts so much was gone. Kind of a surprise as she was one of the few I replied to from time to time. I had gotten into the habit of just accepting requests without paying much attention.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    After this thread got me thinking about it, I just thinned my list *way* down. One of the people I was going to keep because I enjoyed her posts so much was gone. Kind of a surprise as she was one of the few I replied to from time to time. I had gotten into the habit of just accepting requests without paying much attention.

At least I know I didn't get cut.
    n0ukpxzkhs12.gif
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,786 Member
    Options
    I keep my friend's list pretty small and we tend to engage with each other. I like reading the newsfeed, and I like their updates. Losing and maintaining weight is not easy, and it really helps to have like minded MFP friends. I still have some friends from 2012 when I started who have since become real life friends and facebook friends. As far as unrealistic logging I don't "CALL them out", but I do ask sometimes. Usually there is an very good reason and explanation for it, and we laugh about it some more. I do not accept a lot of requests - esp those without an email along with it, but the comments here about "they asked ME!" are funny. I mean you don't have to accept just because someone asks you? right? I know there are folks on here with literally THOUSANDS of friends and maybe "followers?" However if someone doesn't engage or isn't active that's just a #.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Well I just created my own exercise and entered 500 calories for 5 minutes. I won't say what it is exactly, but I had just finished cleaning and scrubbing my cats litter boxes, and I don't think I'll eat pasta again for a while.

I know this is a little weird, but I'm also sure I lost a lot of calories. And this was the only way I could think of to make the MFP math work. I like the weekly net report.

It came over from MFP into Garmin Connect as a manual activity with no data. I deleted it in GC and it still seems to be here. Probably just screwed up my Garmin reports.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Well I just created my own exercise and entered 500 calories for 5 minutes. I won't say what it is exactly, but I had just finished cleaning and scrubbing my cats litter boxes, and I don't think I'll eat pasta again for a while.

I know this is a little weird, but I'm also sure I lost a lot of calories. And this was the only way I could think of to make the MFP math work. I like the weekly net report.

It came over from MFP into Garmin Connect as a manual activity with no data. I deleted it in GC and it still seems to be here. Probably just screwed up my Garmin reports.

I have no idea of what to do with a situation like that as I can't judge the number of calories lost. Fortunately, it has only happened once and I was not in the position to eat back any of those calories that day anyway as it required a home visit with an injection of Maxolon to settle it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I don't even look at my feed, let alone comment on it. I'm a terrible friend.

Ya, I have a note in my profile that I am a terrible feed friend. If people friend request me expecting feed feedback without bothering to read that, that's on them :lol: