Under 1000 calories

Options
123457»

Replies

• tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Everyone replying is not obese or if they have been not mentioning it. My weight and deficit will not be like yours. Does anyone get this? In order for me to lose I have to restrict calories. I have to burn more than I eat.

Actually, according to the tables, I'm obese at 5'11" and 220 pounds.

But think about what you are saying. People who are not obese are replying. OK, perhaps they have some knowledge or experience. Maybe they WERE obese and know what it really takes because they are further along in their journey?

Just because you may not like the message doesn't mean it's not accurate or that it doesn't have value.

The figure I provided above is an estimate based on observed results.

Bigger people need more energy for day to day life. So someone who weighs 250# will need about 2x as many calories as someone who weighs 125#. Not exactly 2x as much.

But if someone who weighs 135# tells you they maintain on 1200-1600 calories, then, by some rough extrapolation, someone who weighs 100# more will need about 75% more calories to simply maintain. (Rough, in my head math.) So in other words, that person will need between 2100-2500 or so calories to do the same.

The math just doesn't work for you to be gaining weight if you go over 1000 calories, but are no where close to 2000 calories/day. Some measurement is off and we are asking you to check that your measurement system is accurate.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

But think about what you are saying. People who are not obese are replying. OK, perhaps they have some knowledge or experience. Maybe they WERE obese and know what it really takes because they are further along in their journey?

This is me. Actually just slipped into the normal BMI range in the last week or so. BUT I was actually morbidly obese in my early 20's before loosing 100lbs. Then I went back up to obse in my early 30's and lost the 100lbs or so again. Then I put on 35 (thank goodness stopping sooner this time) which I have just lost again. So I HAVE been there. more than once. I spent most of my life obese.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    We are not the same. I’m looking for people with the same issue please members. Thanks. I’m 225 pounds currently losing by creating a deficit. I can’t eat 2000 3000 calories and lose weight!!! U can but I can’t. 😩🙄🤷🏽‍♀️

If someone your height and weighing less than you can eat more and still lose, it means you should be able to eat at least as much as they do and lose weight.

You maintenance calories will be higher than theirs, meaning even your deficit calories will be higher than their deficit calories to lose at the same rate. People are not saying they are losing weight at 2000 calories. They are saying they maintain their weight at 2000 calories. Therefore if they ate 1500 calories they would lose weight. And so would you.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/#charts
    I entered your stats in this. I guessed at your age (I put 30, but I don't know what it is)
    You should be able to maintain your current weight at 2140 calories without any intentional exercise at all. In a coma, you would maintain your weight on 1780 calories a day. Which means if you ate 500 calories less than 2140 (say 1640), you would lose 1 lb a week. BUT that's only if you're logging, counting, and measuring correctly (100% of the time, 100% of everything you put in your mouth, including drinks like tea and coffee, licks, drips, medicine, fruits, veg, all other food, gum, etc)!!

If that is NOT the case, there is a 99.5% chance you're logging, counting and measuring incorrectly. You can go get your metabolism checked by a doctor, but again, in 99.5%ish of cases, the results will come back normal and say again that you're not tracking right. But, hey get them to check your thyroid and other possible issues if you'd like - it won't hurt to know for sure. And you could also make sure you're not sleep walking/eating lol. I guess it's possible.

You ask if you're wrong, why the scale is moving down when eating 1000 calories. It's moving down because you're at an extreme deficit... isn't that the point?

@Everyonelies did make a good point that MFP overestimates exercise calories. I also only eat back 50 to 75% of what it says the exercise was worth. So consider that in your calculations as well.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    I'm 5'3", 67 years old and weigh 105 lbs. Even my sedentary maintenance calorie goal is 1230. With even moderate activity I maintain at 1600-1800. And my metabolism is just average, not fast or slow. I definitely believe you're undercounting your calories.
    We are not the same. I’m looking for people with the same issue please members. Thanks. I’m 225 pounds currently losing by creating a deficit. I can’t eat 2000 3000 calories and lose weight!!! U can but I can’t. 😩🙄🤷🏽‍♀️

Since your comment referencing my comment from page 2 keeps getting re-quoted, I want to make it clear that my intent was to say what VeryKatie notes in her comment below. I started with 50 lbs. to lose, and was almost completely sedentary with a full time job and a 4 hour commute. I kept my calories at 1200, and lost an average of .5 lbs. a week, less as I got closer to goal. At your current weight you would lose considerably more than that weekly if you were eating below 1200.

VeryKatie wrote: »
    If someone your height and weighing less than you can eat more and still lose, it means you should be able to eat at least as much as they do and lose weight.

• Ironlady70
    Ironlady70 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I was 303 lbs at and lost 90 lbs in less than 12 months (total 130 lbs lost) on 1800-2000 calories. 45 min cardio before breakfast and 50 min weigh training with a bit of HIIT in each workout. I have been building muscle and maintaining my weight on 1600-1800 cal with cross fit 6 times a week.
    You metabolic rate and activity level has a huge part in this. All that being said 1000 is way too low.
  • crissting
    crissting Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You should do a physical before doing any weight loss program. Maybe you need to check your Thyroid. Mine was low when I could not lose weight. I had Vitamin D deficiency too. Don't alter the program. Losing weight too fast is not healthy. I hope this helps.