Replies

• lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    Have a great LC day everyone.

It's Friday, Friday... gotta get down on Friday! :tongue:
  • kittrelle
    Options
    Anybody here consume a fair amount of heavy whipping cream that is also lactose intolerant? If so, any do you take anything to ease or get rid of the symptoms?
    Hello!
    I know this is the 2nd time you've asked us this question; I was hoping someone else lactose intolerant would have a solution, but I did some looking on the internet and I found a link to someone that uses coconut milk as a replacement: http://www.thewholegang.org/2010/02/easy-gluten-and-dairy-free-whipped-cream-recipe-gluten-free-progressive-oscar-dinner-party/
    Also, I read silken tofu works well, too, but not for whipping. I'm not sure of the supplements people take...lactaid comes to mind. Also, not sure where you are located, but in the UK and Ireland there is something called Pritchitts Millac Gold that is low lactose cream...just google it!! :) Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!
  • kittrelle
    Options
    Just wanted to share: I hadn't lost an ounce since August 5th and was REALLY Getting frustrated...I am in OWL and was going through the rungs (veggie, dairy, nuts ) and was ready to start berries yesterday when I posed a question about my LACK of weight loss on the Atkins BB. Lo and behold I was doing OWL incorrectly!! Color me stupid, but I thought each time you introduced a new food you ADDED 5 more carbs to you intake. Um, nope. I got it all straightened out, did it correctly yesterday with just extra veggies and reward= .5 pounds lost. Guess my body knows what it's doing...even if I don't!! Bummer is I wonder if my CCL is gonna be a measly 40 grams of carbs....:(
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Oh, another Atkins-basher. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/321061-proper-macro-nutrient-balance I just LOVE them. :mad:

This guy is almost not worth talking to. He's one of those that tried it, couldn't commit, failed, and now is an Atkins-hater, because he didn't give the program a chance.

I read the thread and didn't even respond because people always assume what Atkins is without reading the book. Obviously, if this person had done Atkins correctly in the past they would have known it isn't a high protein diet. Dr. Atkins didn't say to eat a pound of bacon and cheese a day and you will lose weight, he recommends whole, healthy foods and fats. Why do people not understand that carbohydrates are immediately turned into sugar in the body. And the whole "diabetics are not advised to practice a low carb lifestyle" just about pushed me over the edge. I hate when people spout so much misinformation. I don't bash the Primal diet, Hcg, etc. becasue I know absolutely nothing about these diets and I would be misinforming someone if I did. End rant, lol.
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Oh, another Atkins-basher. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/321061-proper-macro-nutrient-balance I just LOVE them. :mad:

This guy is almost not worth talking to. He's one of those that tried it, couldn't commit, failed, and now is an Atkins-hater, because he didn't give the program a chance.

I read the thread and didn't even respond because people always assume what Atkins is without reading the book. Obviously, if this person had done Atkins correctly in the past they would have known it isn't a high protein diet. Dr. Atkins didn't say to eat a pound of bacon and cheese a day and you will lose weight, he recommends whole, healthy foods and fats. Why do people not understand that carbohydrates are immediately turned into sugar in the body. And the whole "diabetics are not advised to practice a low carb lifestyle" just about pushed me over the edge. I hate when people spout so much misinformation. I don't bash the Primal diet, Hcg, etc. becasue I know absolutely nothing about these diets and I would be misinforming someone if I did. End rant, lol.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    UGH I'm so disappointed in my breakfast. I was running late for work and just picked up a bottled protein shake. It's called Lean Body To Go. It has 1g net carb and 17g of protein. It has sucralose in it. Don't know if that is an acceptable sweetener. I'll have to check the list. Even though it is low-carb, I feel like something like this is not a good choice. SIgh. I'll just have to do better for lunch and dinner.

On another note, does anyone have any recommendations for a good digital scale? I have a two year old Homedic that gives me a different weight everytime I step on it, even if it is just seconds apart. I kind of want to kill it. Anyway, I'm willing to spend up to $50. I have a 20% off coupon for Bed Bath and Beyond, so I'd like to buy it there. Thanks
  • beernutz
    beernutz Posts: 136
    Options
    UGH I'm so disappointed in my breakfast. I was running late for work and just picked up a bottled protein shake. It's called Lean Body To Go. It has 1g net carb and 17g of protein. It has sucralose in it. Don't know if that is an acceptable sweetener. I'll have to check the list. Even though it is low-carb, I feel like something like this is not a good choice. SIgh. I'll just have to do better for lunch and dinner.

On another note, does anyone have any recommendations for a good digital scale? I have a two year old Homedic that gives me a different weight everytime I step on it, even if it is just seconds apart. I kind of want to kill it. Anyway, I'm willing to spend up to $50. I have a 20% off coupon for Bed Bath and Beyond, so I'd like to buy it there. Thanks
    I have a Tanita scale that also measures bodyfat I've had since 2005 which I love. It is extremely accurate: if I step on it and step off then back on I'll get at most a .2 lb difference and that is rare. The bodyfat reading is pretty close to what I calculate using skin fold calipers if you use it as instructed. I think I paid between $60 and $70 for it but it was worth it. Tanita makes a ton of models of scales but I don't think they sell this particular one anymore.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to share: I hadn't lost an ounce since August 5th and was REALLY Getting frustrated...I am in OWL and was going through the rungs (veggie, dairy, nuts ) and was ready to start berries yesterday when I posed a question about my LACK of weight loss on the Atkins BB. Lo and behold I was doing OWL incorrectly!! Color me stupid, but I thought each time you introduced a new food you ADDED 5 more carbs to you intake. Um, nope. I got it all straightened out, did it correctly yesterday with just extra veggies and reward= .5 pounds lost. Guess my body knows what it's doing...even if I don't!! Bummer is I wonder if my CCL is gonna be a measly 40 grams of carbs....:(
    Congrats on the loss! Perhaps it was just the combination of the "new" foods and the extra carbs? 40 would be awfully low. :(
  • SueInAz
    Options
    I don't have much to offer, I'm afraid. I also have a digital Homedic that's about 5 years old and it works perfectly. I get the same exact weight if I step on it several times in a row. You might just have a bad one?
  • kittrelle
    Options
    I have a Tanita that I love- can't remember how old it is. I went to Bed Bath and Beyond (with my coupon, too!) this spring and got the WW scale that tells you waer weight, bone mass, etc. Weird thing is the Tanita tells me my weight and bodyfat with what I assume is amazing accuracy, but the WW scale for some reason registers me POUNDS heavier!! Needless to say, it's hidden in the cabinet under the sink....
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options
    I have a Tanita that I love- can't remember how old it is. I went to Bed Bath and Beyond (with my coupon, too!) this spring and got the WW scale that tells you waer weight, bone mass, etc. Weird thing is the Tanita tells me my weight and bodyfat with what I assume is amazing accuracy, but the WW scale for some reason registers me POUNDS heavier!! Needless to say, it's hidden in the cabinet under the sink....

I'll be looking into the Tanitas then. Good thing I asked because I have never heard of that brand before. I probably would have just skipped over it for a more recognizable brand.

Oh, and I won't go to BBB without a coupon. I love that store but it is a bit pricey for my liking. I must say that the Scent of The Month sale they have for Yankee Candles is what keeps me coming back. The sale and the $5 off coupon combined makes for a sick deal. I'm kind of a bargain *kitten* lol. And an even bigger Yankee Candle *kitten*!
  • jatcat310
    Options
    BUMP
  • jatcat310
    Options
    I have to set my calorie goal as 1600 to get my carbs to 20, I don't want to eat that many calories! And how much protein should be the minimum percentage? This goal thing is mixing me up today.
  • missmom57
    Options
    Bump
  • SueInAz
    Options
    I have to set my calorie goal as 1600 to get my carbs to 20, I don't want to eat that many calories! And how much protein should be the minimum percentage? This goal thing is mixing me up today.
    1600 is really a minimum number of calories for Atkins, especially given how much you still have left to lose. You really don't want to eat low calorie, especially while doing induction. Eat your 1600 calories, you won't be hungry and you'll definitely lose weight if you keep your carbs around 20 grams.

The percentages are somewhere earlier in this thread... I want to say 5% carbs, 65% fat, 30% protein.
  • pork_belly
    pork_belly Posts: 144
    Options

I'll be looking into the Tanitas then. Good thing I asked because I have never heard of that brand before. I probably would have just skipped over it for a more recognizable brand.

Oh, and I won't go to BBB without a coupon. I love that store but it is a bit pricey for my liking. I must say that the Scent of The Month sale they have for Yankee Candles is what keeps me coming back. The sale and the $5 off coupon combined makes for a sick deal. I'm kind of a bargain *kitten* lol. And an even bigger Yankee Candle *kitten*!

Tanita FTW!!!! I've had mine for over ten years. I picked up mine from the same store but I don't recall if I used a coupon then or not. I've very happy with it.
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Do you all eat even if you are not hungry? That's the pitfall I ran into years ago with Atkins. I would eat a decent breakfast and then not be hungry for the rest of the day.

This morning I had scrambled eggs with tomato, bell pepper, onion, ham and cheese plus 7 small strawberries. That was 4 hours ago and I'm still full. I'm not ready for lunch even though it's lunchtime.
  • beernutz
    beernutz Posts: 136
    Options
    Do you all eat even if you are not hungry? That's the pitfall I ran into years ago with Atkins. I would eat a decent breakfast and then not be hungry for the rest of the day.

This morning I had scrambled eggs with tomato, bell pepper, onion, ham and cheese plus 7 small strawberries. That was 4 hours ago and I'm still full. I'm not ready for lunch even though it's lunchtime.

Yes, you have to eat even if you aren't particularly hungry imo. At least I have the best results and feel the best when I regularly eat. It doesn't have to be a full meal, snacks like nuts or cheese sticks work well too.

I know exactly what you mean about post-breakfast though. I had a 2 egg omelet with couple of slices of cheese and half an avocado in it (cooked in 1.5 tablespoons of butter to get the fat up) and it is now 1:30 pm here and I'm really not hungry at all. I'm going to go get a salad though because I know my body is hungry even if my brain isn't. YMMV.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options
    Had a cobb salad for lunch with LOTS AND LOTS of romaine lettuce. I thought I was going to explode with my last bite. If I don't get my veggie carbs in today, I might cry lol. I plan on having another salad for dinner. The hubby, daughter, and I are going to a local pizzeria. Pizza for them, salad for me. I'm not even upset about it!
  • SueInAz
    Options

Yes, although to be honest, it's not that often that I'm not hungry at meal time. Not stomach-gnawing hunger, but I'm usually ready to eat when the time rolls around. It might have something to do with the fact that I've gotten my body used to eating small meals every 3-4 hours.

It's definitely better to eat at least a little something even if you aren't hungry. It'll sometimes kick start your appetite but it'll also prevent you from getting to that point where you are suddenly starving and end up eating whatever is handy or buying fast food or something from the vending machine.