I feel out of control

Options
2»

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Have you tried adding some extra protein? Might help. Don't drink it on shakes or use bars. Stick to whole food versions. Jmho
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    leonadixon wrote: »
    At 40ish to go, are you set at "lose one pound per week?" Are you logging and eating back exercise calories?

The first 40 is easy. The second 40, not so much. Good logging is key.

Also, it's just a bit harder in the Fall and Winter, my hunger always goes up for a couple months in the Fall.

I was going to say the same thing. I've been eating like a bear preparing for hibernation! Ugh.

Added to that is the phenomenon of raising calories leads to having more appetite in general. So if I fall into a "eat a few hundred more calories" trap, then my appetite goes up to match. I have to reel that in as soon as possible.

Every time I've raised calories for a few days (whether on purpose or due to gluttony :lol:) I've had to fight that to get back down to the goal calories. It's a thing.

OMgoodness! This! I started a 2 week diet break 4 weeks ago! I can't get my hungry rear back on track! UGH

Yeah, you really can get back on track.

Just do it. :wink: I usually just cut out sugary stuff other than in my morning cup of coffee, and I make sure to hit or exceed protein goals, and I make sure to get some outdoors exercise at least four times per week until I get a handle on it again. This time of year is tough, lots of opportunities to go off the rails.

But it's good to know it is a real issue and not just in your head. Took me a long time to figure that out.
  • CharlieICURN
    CharlieICURN Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    There’s only one you, the you here now. The past no longer exists. All that is left of it is an idea in our head of what it was.

Do you want to lose weight, stay where you are, or gain? Sounds like if you keep doing what you are doing you will gain.

If your plan is to lose weight, are you going to stand up for yourself or not? No one can do it for you.

The plan is to lose weight, which I’ve been doing pretty well with. I’m down 43 lbs thus far. My problem is I’m having these cravings and it’s really intense and I feel like I have no control over it. I have been ok at not succumbing to them, though Sunday I did go off the rails with my eating but I’ve kept it in check since then. It’s just the urge is there and it’s strong and it’s stressing me out. Like I don’t know if I can overcome this constant craving for junky foods. Prior to this i haven’t craved to this extent so it was manageable.
    I’m extremely determined to prioritize my health and making good choices but holy crap it’s getting difficult and I’m scared I’m gonna binge.
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    You haven't shared your diet and exercise log, so just some guessing here. First, since you said you don't feel hungry but just want to eat, and you allow sweets, are you noticing anything with your diet? Are you consuming more sweets or other high calorie foods? Is it any particular food, or is it anything goes? Is your cravings all day, or do they hit around 2-3pm or late night (after 8pm)? If you just feel like eating something...ANYTHING...then I would suggest go for it, but make it low calorie items like veggies. I assume you also have a balance on carbs, fat, protein (50, 25, 25 ballpark). I'm not on keto, but I do have problems with fructans and gluten, so I stay away from bread which naturally keeps my carbs down to 20-35% and my fat high (around 35-55%). High fat isn't what I think is filling me up as much is it's lots of low calorie vegetables, but dropping my carb calories has left me more full after meals and keeps me satiated longer. It's also the onset of winter and shorter days, and the body seems to want to calorie up in prep for the winter for some people.
  • CharlieICURN
    Options
    jondspen wrote: »
    You haven't shared your diet and exercise log, so just some guessing here. First, since you said you don't feel hungry but just want to eat, and you allow sweets, are you noticing anything with your diet? Are you consuming more sweets or other high calorie foods? Is it any particular food, or is it anything goes? Is your cravings all day, or do they hit around 2-3pm or late night (after 8pm)? If you just feel like eating something...ANYTHING...then I would suggest go for it, but make it low calorie items like veggies. I assume you also have a balance on carbs, fat, protein (50, 25, 25 ballpark). I'm not on keto, but I do have problems with fructans and gluten, so I stay away from bread which naturally keeps my carbs down to 20-35% and my fat high (around 35-55%). High fat isn't what I think is filling me up as much is it's lots of low calorie vegetables, but dropping my carb calories has left me more full after meals and keeps me satiated longer. It's also the onset of winter and shorter days, and the body seems to want to calorie up in prep for the winter for some people.

It’s like an alllll day charade of me just wanting to eat crap. I can be super full after eating but I still just want something junky. I allow myself to eat whatever I want but in moderation and even with that I just want more. I use a different app for most of my tracking but yesterday I started tracking with MyFitnessPal again because the other app I was using doesn’t have such a diverse food library.
    I’m starting to wonder if it’s the time change considering this coincides with it. I never realized that the seasons really affected my appetite before. I always just assume weight gain because of the holidays and not really anything else but I’m wondering about the season change now and how that impacts me. It’s weird trying to be in tune with my body and noticing all of the changes and stuff.
    I’m going to try something a little different I think and add a bit more protein to my meals and maybe that’ll help. When looking at my macros I noticed my protein intake is on average about 15-20% so I’m wondering if consuming a bit more would help with satiety.
    I’m also trying to find things to distract myself with. I know I had very disordered eating and was diagnosed with a binge eating disorder in the past so I’m wondering what’s going on in my life that is maybe making that come up lately. I definitely think this is all psychological.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Just wondering whether you've talked to your doctor at all about what your hormones are up to - this might be related to an imbalance that you can settle with some tweaks to your food intake or with specific supplements, as your body is adjusting to a pretty dramatic internal change.
  • CharlieICURN
    Options
    Just wondering whether you've talked to your doctor at all about what your hormones are up to - this might be related to an imbalance that you can settle with some tweaks to your food intake or with specific supplements, as your body is adjusting to a pretty dramatic internal change.

I had some bloodwork done in July to check my thyroid and my estrogen and all of the other hormones related to my reproductive system I guess. My doc started me on Premarin and medroxyprogesterone at that point since I was in the throws of surgical menopause hell. I know my thyroid levels came back fine.