Women who have had liposuction: are you glad you did?

Replies

• katie1234
    katie1234 Posts: 74 Member
    smantha32 wrote: »
    katie1234 wrote: »
    I'm 30 and 70kg (154lbs).

For the last six months, I work out twice a week (mixture of cardio and strength) and try to watch my diet and I've lost 6kg (about 13lbs) this way but lately I've plateaued.

I'm happy with my arms, legs, boobs and bum but my stomach is a real problem area. I am seriously considering liposuction on this area. I think it would massively improve my confidence, my clothes would fit better and I would look much better.

I'm not massively overweight but my figure is quite frumpy.

The reason I like the idea of lipo is the spot reduction - losing another 5lbs will not make a big difference to my overall figure, but losing 3-5lbs directly off my stomach could make quite a dramatic difference. I'd probably have to lose 15-20lbs off my body weight to get the same effect from diet and exercise and that would be very difficult for me.

I'd really like to hear from women - or men - who have been through it and how they felt after. I'm less interested in people's general opinions on whether lipo is a good idea.

I had it done on my stomach and it looks pretty good, but you have to make sure you're not going to gain weight. I put on 15 pounds after the lipo and because the fat cells weren't in my stomach anymore a lot of it went to my boobs. Proportionately not a problem but I went up a cup size and now my shoulders hurt from the extra weight.

If I put the weight back on on my boobs/ butt/ legs I'd be okay with it. Hopefully not my face or arms but of course you don't get to choose. Ideally I'd like to continue maintaining my weight, which is what I've been doing for the last while - up a kilo or down a kilo occasionally, mainly depending on the time of the month, but mostly holding steady.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    it was a long time ago I don't remember my weight but I was in maintenance. - when I go below 150 I hate how I look so I must have been around 155 or 165, it was after my 2nd baby. Recovery was fine, this was old school lipo so I had bruising but results were great. I had two more babies after that and everything still looks good - I have tried cool sculpting more recently and while results are not as dramatic it was far easier - no anesthesia, can be done on lunch, etc. As far as inches I am not sure I ever measured - I didn't get it on my stomach I had it on my outer thighs and flanks.
  • katie1234
    stolan2 wrote: »
    I had lipo. My hereditary pot belly wasn't ever going to go away, regardless of how much I exercised. I also had those little fat areas on my lower back that you get after having kids - also not going away with exercise. My husband (who loves me regardless) said I looked in the mirror every morning and hated how I looked and he hated me thinking that about myself, so I should just get it done. I did and really happy with it. The belly wasn't painful at all, but the back was. I know others that didn't have pain at all. I think it just depends on the person. 3 years later, still happy every day I did it. I still exercise, etc. so the lipo was NOT a replacement for healthy living.

Thanks so much for your reply. Did you put any of the weight back on, and if so, did it come back in weird places or was it distributed fairly evenly?
  • stolan2
    stolan2 Posts: 2 Member
    I didn't do it for weight loss, just body shape, so I wasn't really tracking my weight. I know I've varied in the 3 years between (gain 5-10, then lose again) and it seemed to be evenly distributed although I notice it more in my upper stomach since my lower had the lipo

• PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    I’ve had lipo on my abdomen and thighs. Dont do the thighs! It made my cellulite worse! But it sounds like you just want to spot reduce a small spot on your tummy.

If YOU are happy with your weight and you have researched and found a liscenced and reputable doc (check out realself website) then go for a consult.
    Check out before and after pics and do your research before you commit.
    I don’t regret mine, but it was expensive and will still need a tummy tuck one day from massive weight loss as a teen and 5 pregnancies .
    Do you girl!
  • katie1234
    PennyP312 wrote: »
    I’ve had lipo on my abdomen and thighs. Dont do the thighs! It made my cellulite worse! But it sounds like you just want to spot reduce a small spot on your tummy.

If YOU are happy with your weight and you have researched and found a liscenced and reputable doc (check out realself website) then go for a consult.
    I don’t regret mine, but it was expensive and will still need a tummy tuck one day from massive weight loss as a teen and 5 pregnancies .
    Do you girl!

FIVE pregnancies. You're a hero in your own right. Yes, I'm going to go for a couple of consultations before I make any decision.
  • katie1234
    katie1234 wrote: »
    PennyP312 wrote: »

Do you girl!

FIVE pregnancies. You're a hero in your own right. Yes, I'm going to go for a couple of consultations before I make any decision.

just out of interest, what have all the professionals in your life said?

My PT is, naturally enough, against the idea. He acknowledges that it works but thinks it's a shortcut (it is, I get that and I'm okay with taking shortcuts) and that exercise and diet are better in the longterm. I agree with him on all of that and I have no intention of quitting the gym and eating pizza all day once I've got the lipo - if anything I think I would be even more motivated to eat well and exercise to maintain the results.

My therapist thinks I'm absolutely fine the way I am (but then I pay her to say nice things like that, don't I?) She doesn't tell me what to do one way or the other, she has had clients for whom it has improved their confidence but warns me that it's not a silver bullet.

I haven't talked to my GP yet, but if it gets to the point where I'm making the final decision I will. The reviews for the cosmetic surgeon I'm going for a free consultation with say he is very thorough and not at all pushy.