Intermittent fasting

Options
What are some pros and cons on intermittent fasting? How can I get it to effectively work?

Replies

• SherrieWall
    SherrieWall Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you sooo much for this piece of information!

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Pros and cons are 99% subjective. IF is simply a schedule for when you eat and when you don't. It says nothing about how much you eat, what you eat, etc... so weight loss will still come down to calorie deficit, and health will come down to a reasonable intake + a reasonably balanced diet.

If having a tighter schedule for when you eat helps you better control how much you eat, then there are almost no cons to IF. If it doesn't help with that, then there are almost no pros to it.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    There are many different versions of IF - which are you interested in?

But agree with the above post - what suits one person and their goals won't suit another person even if they have identical goals.

My personal pros and cons were:
    Liked 5:2 (helped with adherence to a weekly moderate calorie deficit)
    Disliked 16:8 (made me feel like I was on a diet even at maintenance calories)
    Don't do either now but do eat flexibly and often skip breakfast and sometimes have a low calorie day when it suits me.
  • overjoy
    overjoy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting but I think it's going to boil down to watching what I eat & exercising. I think we have to find what works for us. Some people are able to eat what they want and never gain a pound for others they can look at food and gain. Find what works for you.
  • gman7676
    gman7676 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    For me it is a mental game. I seem to have trouble sticking to the calorie count I need while doing intermittent fasting.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Pros and Cons will vary from one person to the next. For me, personally, it works great with my current lifestyle and my natural eating patterns. Meal prep and smaller meals actually accomplishes faster weight loss for me, but it does NOT work with my lifestyle or natural eating patterns very well. Both boil down to CICO.

My days can vary widely - from traveling for work, traveling for the track, race weekends, track days, visiting friends, 'regular' work days - I get a bit of a routine from Nov-Feb, but from Mar-Oct, my life is crazy.

Because of how I prefer to eat and what my body prefers, I'm not doing a true "fasting" diet. I like my morning coffee with my flavored creamer, I've tried giving up my creamer in the past, and screw that. So that's not going anywhere, and I like a small (like 200 calorie) afternoon snack to stave off the afternoon hungries.

Most of my calories come with dinner, where I get to enjoy a nice, full meal and can even include some things like - OMG - butter and sauces I love and still stay in my calorie range.

Even with this, however, I still have to cook most food at home, and if I'm constantly eating out (where I'm prone to making poor choices), I am still unlikely to lose much weight. At least this method stopped the gains.

I stick with this because it works for my body, and my lifestyle. It certainly doesn't work for everyone, but it does work for me. I've had a slow, steady loss this way, and it feels very sustainable for me as I naturally don't like breakfast and have no problem waiting until later in the day to consume any food.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    There’s nothing about it that”works” it’s just an eating schedule/ preference. The pros and cons are subjective to the individual being that its just a timed eating window
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Pros and cons are 99% subjective. IF is simply a schedule for when you eat and when you don't. It says nothing about how much you eat, what you eat, etc... so weight loss will still come down to calorie deficit, and health will come down to a reasonable intake + a reasonably balanced diet.

If having a tighter schedule for when you eat helps you better control how much you eat, then there are almost no cons to IF. If it doesn't help with that, then there are almost no pros to it.

IMO, this is about the best description of IF I have ever read...
  • kds10
    kds10 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I lost 25 lbs doing IF - it took me 4 to 4.5 months to do this. I did on average a 18:6 day. I have about 8 to 10 lbs at this point to lose and have decided to switch to an 16:8 instead. I know the last bit of weight will come off slowly anyway and sometimes especially work days I miss having a breakfast even if it is mid morning.

So this morning I went to the gym before work, did about 30 minutes (fasted since 5:30 last night)..now at about 9:30 I will have a light breakfast.

I like IF but consistency is the key with it. ONe huge benefit for me is I always think about the eating window and even if I am eating not great that day, as long as I stay in the eating window it makes me feel like I have control over my eating.
  • Phoebe5164
    Phoebe5164 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It scares me because I feel like your hungry/full sensations can get messed up. If you’re only eating because the clock says it time .... that doesn’t sound like a good idea. Some fast and eat 1600 calories in four hours?? Is this not a slippery slope to amessed up body ? To each their own , i fast when I’m sleeping 😴
  • overjoy
    overjoy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I hit something by mistake, now it won't let me out unless I reply :(