Thin Healthy Mama Diet?

Replies

• worsthorse
    worsthorse Posts: 73 Member
    what "gottaburnemall" said! and... the challenge with "do what works for you" and "choose the parts you like" is we tend to do what humans do, which is to choose the easy and comfortable and set aside the difficult. we want to believe that a special combination of foods or meal timing or a supplement is going to change the way human bodies work and make losing weight (and keeping it lost) effortless because that is a lot more fun than managing CICO, eating nutritious food, exercising, and getting adequate sleep as a daily practice.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    edited November 2018
    It's not a bad program at all. The core of it is, you don't eat carbs and fats together. Protein + fat, or protein + carb, but not carb + fat. Eat frequently, don't obsess over calories and good/bad foods, drink lots of water. They make use of some products like gluccomannan, collagen, oat fiber, apple cider vinegar, and so on. It can be as weird or as simple as you want to make it.

What I do find is that a lot of the followers of the plan, like any other plan, can become a little bit obsessive. I have their book, but I left the Facebook group because it was so full of constant worry and overthinking of ingredients and whether this or that food was "safe". I'm not in this because I want a new kind of bondage or burden, and honestly I don't believe that's what either Pearl or Serene wanted people to take away from their books.

A quick look at their website shows the plan includes multiple recipes that result in a dish that has both carbohydrates and fat.

Here is an example: https://trimhealthymama.com/recipe/field-of-green-omcake-s/

Here is another: https://trimhealthymama.com/recipe/strawberry-kale-salad-s/

(Also, there's nothing wrong with eating carbohydrate and fat at the same time).

Even though it's still nonsense, I think the "carbs" meant as a no-no to combine with fat are starches.

Even if you buy that there's something magical about food combining, I'd love to know what's inherently slimming (as the blurb for the recipe seems to claim with it being able to help you push through weight stalls and all that) about that "omcake" absent context within someone's daily calorie allowance. Don't even get me started on "detoxing" with greens.

I’m glad you clarified that,

One of my pet peeves is the blanket use of the word ‘carb’ without distinguishing between the complex, refined or starchy.
    It is one of the big disservices performed on the buying public, IMO.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Can you only do it if you are a “Mama”!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    It's not a bad program at all. The core of it is, you don't eat carbs and fats together. Protein + fat, or protein + carb, but not carb + fat. Eat frequently, don't obsess over calories and good/bad foods, drink lots of water. They make use of some products like gluccomannan, collagen, oat fiber, apple cider vinegar, and so on. It can be as weird or as simple as you want to make it.

What I do find is that a lot of the followers of the plan, like any other plan, can become a little bit obsessive. I have their book, but I left the Facebook group because it was so full of constant worry and overthinking of ingredients and whether this or that food was "safe". I'm not in this because I want a new kind of bondage or burden, and honestly I don't believe that's what either Pearl or Serene wanted people to take away from their books.

A quick look at their website shows the plan includes multiple recipes that result in a dish that has both carbohydrates and fat.

(Also, there's nothing wrong with eating carbohydrate and fat at the same time).

Even though it's still nonsense, I think the "carbs" meant as a no-no to combine with fat are starches.

Even if you buy that there's something magical about food combining, I'd love to know what's inherently slimming (as the blurb for the recipe seems to claim with it being able to help you push through weight stalls and all that) about that "omcake" absent context within someone's daily calorie allowance. Don't even get me started on "detoxing" with greens.

I know it's common to use "carbohydrates" to mean "starches," but I don't get why people do it when "starches" already does the job perfectly.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member

I know it's common to use "carbohydrates" to mean "starches," but I don't get why people do it when "starches" already does the job perfectly.

As lemurcat posted above, there's a general lack of literacy with the use of the term "carbs". People use it as short-hand to mean all sorts of things that include other macros and forget that it also means things like kale and raspberries. Add to this the common confusion between a refined carb and a simple carb and ... well.

Plans like THM do nothing to clear up this confusion.