What I Hate About Watching My Weight/New Lifestyle/Dieting, etc. (A Place to Vent)

Replies

• siobhanaoife
    siobhanaoife Posts: 150 Member
    Bobble11 wrote: »
    My people! This is the thread I need! I'm sat here reading all of your posts and thinking that I've felt exactly the same way as most of you have felt at some point during my weight loss journey. I've been "dieting" for so long that my friends and family aren't interested in knowing how I'm getting on with it. The most I get is "oh yeah? Well done". They don't understand the choices I make every time I decide to eat something.

I am a textbook pear shape but it's starting to take the mickey. You can see my clavicle and my ribs on my top half but my backside, thighs and upper arms are fat and flabby. But you can't target weight loss! I don't understand how my upper arms are retaining so much fat when the rest of my upper body is feeling skeletal!

I've read all the advice and I've spoken to PTs. I've just got to keep on keeping on and I'll get there eventually. I just needed somewhere to shout it out!

This is totally my *kitten*, too. I'm different at this weight than I would have been had I not gotten so heavy and then lost so much. And I expected that regarding being saggier and looser than my preference. What I didn't realize was that, unlike when I was last this weight, my body was going to keep ALL the extra fat in ONE PLACE. So, I don't really even get the choice to chill out chubby should I wish to - I'm all bony up top and my waistline is back, but unless I want disproportionate HUGE upper legs, I have to ruthlessly cut body fat %.

Oh well. It's going to make weightlifting harder, but I guess I'm going for skinny :/
  • youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    What I hate is also kind of what I love... 7 years ago I started running again after running on and off throughout high school, and I have been running almost everyday since (barring sickness and pregnancy). I prefer to run in the morning before work so I don't have to worry about having enough time or energy after work, but sometimes I just want to sleep in the morning and something in the back of my mind tells me to get up and go run for 5 miles instead. I know I'll feel good if I get up and run, but is it better than I would feel if I had slept for another 2 hours? I know that it's better than I would feel if I had waited to run in the afternoon. Except for planned rest days and the occasional sick day I feel like I HAVE to run everyday, and sometimes I feel like it borderlines on obsessive even though I love the way it makes me feel (and look). I guess I just wish I didn't always feel like health and fitness is such a priority for me, like the other "normal" people who are just skinny because of their intrinsic/natural lifestyle.

But I guess I know that I'm healthier because of the choices I make, rather than just being "genetically lucky" and eating whatever I want with minimal purposeful exercise.
  • jackis54
    jackis54 Posts: 5 Member
    I miss enjoying eating out. Yes, I know there are ways to do it but right now I am a little obsessive about knowing what's in my food. My adult son lives a few blocks away and(long story) is careful about what he eats so I will go with him now and again but have stopped going on my own when I am home.

I really dislike doing dishes which is an offshoot of eating home more.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    mgookin wrote: »
    The food scale is my friend, but also my enemy. I hate feeling so judged by everyone around me when I pull it out. It's to the point to where I try to have everything pre-weighed and made into portions that way I can just do a quick reheat and eat. Otherwise I wait till after everyone in my family is done eating and then I will go and make my plate, weigh things, and at the same time clean up and put everything away.

I'm still fairly new at this. I've done it in the past without issue. I'm hoping that over time the judgement will pass and the support will start instead.

Honestly, after a while you just stop giving a *kitten*. And once the results start showing, the judgers tend to fade away. But I try to make my weighing a non-event. At home? Sure! Scoot over, hubby, I need room on the counter for my food scale! But I'm not busting it out at the restaurant table with friends or anything :tongue:
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    When your food is carefully weighed and you drop some of it on the floor. Those calories you have accounted for and not eaten ... the pain is real!

I hate when I weigh food like potato chips & then my two-year-old niece will be like "chippies?" Of course I have to give her some of the chips to eat, because what kind of monster would I be? :D.
  • cparsons_60
    cparsons_60 Posts: 95 Member
    edited November 2018
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    When your food is carefully weighed and you drop some of it on the floor. Those calories you have accounted for and not eaten ... the pain is real!

Ha ha, I did this just a few minutes ago! But I can't convince myself that the spillage amounts to a serving of Haagen Dazs. (I decided to treat myself to a gin and tonic instead of ice cream tonight. Alas, the choice stands -- I can't fit both.)