1200 Calorie Diet???? Seriously???

Replies

• MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    1. You do not need to "eat clean." (you can eat a variety of foods, lose weight, and meet nutritional needs)
    2. Drink the lemon water if you like the taste, but it will do nothing for weight loss.
    3. Meal timing is personal preference.
    4. You can eat lunch meat and still lose weight. (and be healthy)
    5. You do not have to limit condiments. (if it fits into your day, go for it.)
    6. You do not have to limit dairy. (unless you have a medical reason)
    7. You do not have to limit fruit. (fruit has numerous nutritional benefits)
    8. The only reason somebody should be restricting sugar is because of a medical reason. (sugar is carb, so track that.)

I agree wholeheartedly!

^^^^ yep
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited November 2018
    Katy what are your current stats and how long have you been doing this and what lb per week did you set MFP to?

Started in May at 167. Wasn’t really sure what I was doing at first but eventually set 1lb/week. In September I purposely went into maintenance (for my wedding). Started back in October again 1lb/week.

Just the other day reset at current weight of 140 (138 today) and changed my goal to 135. MFP set me to 1340. (Sorry guess it’s not down to 1200 but fairly close).

Ok, so without knowing your height, is still bit hard to comment.

But presuming you are of average-ish height, then you are not far off an ideal BMI, if not already in the range.

You probably should be setting a rate of 1/2 lb per week now - if you are shortish then 1340 may be right.
    That is NET - ie before eating back any excercise calories.

For comparison, I am 5 ft 3 in and I was on 1460 to lose at 1/2 lb per week although I am older than you ( presuming your avatar is you.)

Not disagreeing but just adding information: I'm also 5'3 and MFP has me at 1380 (with a non sedentary activity level) pre exercise for .5 lb/week. I'm within a healthy BMI, but if I were at sedentary and trying to lose 1 lb/week I'd get 1200 from MFP even above the healthy BMI. I think 1 lb/week is an okay goal even within the healthy range, especially if one is somewhat active, but the key is realizing you can add back in exercise and that most people aren't really sedentary (even pre exercise).

I don't use MFP's goal, but a TDEE based one (that includes estimated exercise).
  • stwida
    stwida Posts: 10 Member
    It's all relative. IOt all depends on what your TDEE is. A 1200 calorie diet really isnt crazy for someone with a TDEE of like 1700. That's only a 500 deficit, which really isn't insane at all.

I feel like this is really just a poorly thought-out / ignorant post made by someone who hasn't done the appropriate google searches.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    It's all relative. IOt all depends on what your TDEE is. A 1200 calorie diet really isnt crazy for someone with a TDEE of like 1700. That's only a 500 deficit, which really isn't insane at all.

I feel like this is really just a poorly thought-out / ignorant post made by someone who hasn't done the appropriate google searches.

This depends on how much weight one wants to lose. A 500 calorie per day deficit is a 1 pound per week rate of loss. That's a reasonable pace for some people, but for those who don't have very much to lose, it's overly aggressive.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I'm reading @me0231's question as-
    Why do men get a higher minimum, 1500, than women, 1200, even if they weigh equal or less than a woman at the same height.

The answer, as far as I know, is that men have a higher BMR, in general, due to a larger muscle mass. Bone density and testosterone probably come into play somewhere too.

Cheers, h.

Also, I don't know many (any, personally) men my height of 5'2. Smaller doesn't just mean lighter at the same height (I know you know this :wink: just clarifying for the peanut gallery). IMO it's probably never ideal for a 5'8 woman to eat 1200 either.

At 5'9", I can confirm that 1200 calories is never my friend...

Even at my shorter 5'5", I can also confirm that 1200 is not my friend.

5'2 and agree :lol:
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    edited November 2018
    I’m 5’2.5” and 62 years old. MyFitnessPal has me at 1580 to maintain at 130, according to my Fitbit my TDEE is right around 1700.
    I lost quite nicely eating 1400 plus Fitbit step points.
  • KatyCSTinPNW
    KatyCSTinPNW Posts: 28 Member
    Katy what are your current stats and how long have you been doing this and what lb per week did you set MFP to?

Started in May at 167. Wasn’t really sure what I was doing at first but eventually set 1lb/week. In September I purposely went into maintenance (for my wedding). Started back in October again 1lb/week.

Just the other day reset at current weight of 140 (138 today) and changed my goal to 135. MFP set me to 1340. (Sorry guess it’s not down to 1200 but fairly close).

Ok, so without knowing your height, is still bit hard to comment.

But presuming you are of average-ish height, then you are not far off an ideal BMI, if not already in the range.

You probably should be setting a rate of 1/2 lb per week now - if you are shortish then 1340 may be right.
    That is NET - ie before eating back any excercise calories.

For comparison, I am 5 ft 3 in and I was on 1460 to lose at 1/2 lb per week although I am older than you ( presuming your avatar is you.)

I’m 5’4” and 35 yo. I agree and think I’ll adjust to 0.5 lbs/week. I am in a healthy BMI. I actually didn’t have an exact weight goal. I’ve been too skinny before and hated it (110-120lbs). I guessed maybe 130lb but I’m actually pretty comfortable so I adjusted to about 135. Plan to stay in that area +/-5lbs.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I'm reading @me0231's question as-
    Why do men get a higher minimum, 1500, than women, 1200, even if they weigh equal or less than a woman at the same height.

The answer, as far as I know, is that men have a higher BMR, in general, due to a larger muscle mass. Bone density and testosterone probably come into play somewhere too.

Cheers, h.

Also, I don't know many (any, personally) men my height of 5'2. Smaller doesn't just mean lighter at the same height (I know you know this :wink: just clarifying for the peanut gallery). IMO it's probably never ideal for a 5'8 woman to eat 1200 either.

At 5'9", I can confirm that 1200 calories is never my friend...

Even at my shorter 5'5", I can also confirm that 1200 is not my friend.

I’m debating gnawing my arm off at 1900 cal during cut - down from 2600...I can’t even imagine 1200
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    Sam29a wrote: »
    This post is a bit patronising. I am short with a petite frame and am for the most part inactive. I lost most of my weight eating around 1200 calories. It took me over a year and a half to lose 57 lbs. That's hardly fast weight loss! I'm currently on 1250 calories, losing weight VERY slowly. It's taken me over a month to lose 2.4 lbs. If I was eating more, I would not lose any weight, but likely gain it.

Just because something works for you, that doesn't mean it will work for the rest of us. It doesn't mean your way is the only right way and the rest of us are doing things wrong.

we arent talking about petite women as women who are very short,elderly.sedentary or A combo of the 3 many DO need less calories. but the whole point was the poster who is MALE needs more calories just to get enough nutrients to fuel his body. its 1500 for a male who is very short,sedentary,elderly or a combo.1200 is way too little for a male unless he is an outlier or under the direct care of a dr,same with MANY women. many very short women here also eat and maintain on more than 1200 calories. The more active a person is the more calories they need to be taking in to fuel their bodies.1200 might be fine for some people but its not for everyone.

I was only 70 lbs overweight and I was eating more than 2000 calories and still losing weight being sedentary(at 5'6 1/2). so if someone who is more than 100 lbs overweight surely they can eat more than 1200 and still lose weight as their intake to maintain their weight is probably more than 2500 calories.(depending on height,weight,age and activity level).

There is also those who think they are eating 1200 calories and in reality are eating way more calories.Those are the ones who post later on in the forums that they are maintaining their weight on low calories and cant lose and cant figure out why. they had blood work done and everything comes back normal. when they start using a food scale and weighing everything their eyes are opened as to how much they were really eating and they start losing again. of course those scenarios arent going to apply to everyone either,but most of the time its the case.

Here that is in chart form:

miscalculating-1200-calories.jpg

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

• Clau_Ioana1202
    Clau_Ioana1202 Posts: 40 Member
    My TDEE (I am in the normal BMI range, 22.5) is 1715 so if I want to lose weight, MFP gave me 1200/day. And I am tall: 5.9 (or 175cm).
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    That seems strange claucescu - as I am 6 in shorter and probably older than you and it gave me 1460.

What rate of loss have you put in - given you already have a BMI right in middle of healthy range , you must only have very small amount you want to lose, so you should be setting it at 1/2 a week.