What I Hate About Watching My Weight/New Lifestyle/Dieting, etc. (A Place to Vent)

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    When your food is carefully weighed and you drop some of it on the floor. Those calories you have accounted for and not eaten ... the pain is real!

Or your 14-year-old steals a big bite! Get away from my food, kid!!!
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    I so need this vent thread.

I hate that my husband is able to manage his hunger so easily while I am not. Hunger is actually painful for me sometimes (thanks gastritis!) so I have to chew on Tums, drink lots of water, and hope the pain subsides.

I hate that my RMR is so low. I had it tested and found out that I'm quite a bit lower than I should be for my height and age. All the strength training I've done has only raised it by about 20 kcal/day.

I hate that when I eat "intuitively" or "moderately" I gain weight, rapidly. For the first time in my life, my health is at risk, all because I tried to let go of monitoring my diet like a hawk. I'm not capable of letting it go and being ok. I think I will have to be strict for the rest of my life.

I hate that I get migraines when I lift weights. I hate that we're coming up on Thanksgiving and Christmas, and I want to enjoy them to the fullest extent with decadent food and drink but can't. I hate that every single meeting and celebration at work involves highly caloric food and sweets. I hate that my favorite foods to cook from my childhood are so calorie dense.

The one thing I do like- four days into getting back on the wagon, I've dropped a bunch of water weight and am no longer bloated. Good feeling.

I got migraines when I tried lifting heavy. Exertion induced migraines are a thing.

You can still get benefits from progressive strength training by using moderate weights and doing more reps and sets.

I have pretty bad chronic migraines, but they're fine if I keep the weights moderate for me and lift this way.

That's great that they're manageable for you. I hoped they would be for me.

I've been working on different ways to strength train without triggering a migraine. I used to train 4-5 days a week for about a year and had migraines pretty much constantly. I'm on a preventative which helps with the instantaneous migraines I get when I don't warm up enough, but my trigger now seems to be any kind of muscle soreness.

I stopped lifting and have been pretty much running exclusively for a while which helps. I was astonished that the day after only one very mild yoga session last week, I got a migraine. My shoulders were barely sore. My neurologist told me to stop strength training altogether. Maybe I need a new neurologist.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2018

I hate that my husband is able to manage his hunger so easily while I am not. Hunger is actually painful for me sometimes (thanks gastritis!) so I have to chew on Tums, drink lots of water, and hope the pain subsides.

I hate that my RMR is so low. I had it tested and found out that I'm quite a bit lower than I should be for my height and age. All the strength training I've done has only raised it by about 20 kcal/day.

I hate that when I eat "intuitively" or "moderately" I gain weight, rapidly. For the first time in my life, my health is at risk, all because I tried to let go of monitoring my diet like a hawk. I'm not capable of letting it go and being ok. I think I will have to be strict for the rest of my life.

I hate that I get migraines when I lift weights. I hate that we're coming up on Thanksgiving and Christmas, and I want to enjoy them to the fullest extent with decadent food and drink but can't. I hate that every single meeting and celebration at work involves highly caloric food and sweets. I hate that my favorite foods to cook from my childhood are so calorie dense.

The one thing I do like- four days into getting back on the wagon, I've dropped a bunch of water weight and am no longer bloated. Good feeling.

I got migraines when I tried lifting heavy. Exertion induced migraines are a thing.

You can still get benefits from progressive strength training by using moderate weights and doing more reps and sets.

I have pretty bad chronic migraines, but they're fine if I keep the weights moderate for me and lift this way.

I've been working on different ways to strength train without triggering a migraine. I used to train 4-5 days a week for about a year and had migraines pretty much constantly. I'm on a preventative which helps with the instantaneous migraines I get when I don't warm up enough, but my trigger now seems to be any kind of muscle soreness.

I stopped lifting and have been pretty much running exclusively for a while which helps. I was astonished that the day after only one very mild yoga session last week, I got a migraine. My shoulders were barely sore. My neurologist told me to stop strength training altogether. Maybe I need a new neurologist.

That sounds just awful!

What kind of protocol are you on for your treatment? Maybe that makes a difference for me.

I'm going to be starting Aimovig and am currently getting botox. I'm also on an SSRI, topomax, and some supplements.
  • Ayehmwhy
    Ayehmwhy Posts: 75 Member
    Right now, kind of having a hard time with the weather becoming colder, winter approaching, holidays are upon us and everywhere I go l, there is some kind of high calorie sweet treat being offered to me. There’s just so much indulgence this time of year and I’m trying to resist the urges to overeat and hibernate haha
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member

That sounds just awful!

What kind of protocol are you on for your treatment? Maybe that makes a difference for me.

I'm going to be starting Aimovig and am currently getting botox. I'm also on an SSRI, topomax, and some supplements.

Currently on Depakote for prevention and Maxalt as an abortive. I heard about Aimovig and really want to try it. Topamax had some odd side effects for me. (Blocked muscle memory- couldn't play the piano temporarily- scary!) I hear Botox works well but takes about a year of treatments to start to work. Is that true for you?
  • kstarallen
    kstarallen Posts: 116 Member
    @Bobble11
    Omg I died laughing. Thank you so much for the different variations bahaha
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Bobble11 wrote: »
    My beef is myself. Not in a degrading hateful way. BUT I get so caught up in eating right and exercising and then I get bored or it isnt happening fast enough or life gets tough and I just quit. I just wish i could get over that hump without going straight back to unhealthy.

You're not alone. We've all felt that way. I can feel that attitude creeping up on me right now. My aim is to be "good" until Christmas but I don't think I'll last that long.

I'm on around 1400 calories a day plus 10,000 steps with means I'm actually between 1200-1300. (nobody @ me about how this is all wrong. I'm not asking to be corrected - it's working for me). When I get the grumps about the hard slog that is "being good" then I take a break and go up to 1500-1800 calories a day plus 10,000 steps. I usually find that allows me to eat a bit of what I want but still keep me on the right track. I don't lose a lot (if anything) but I don't gain. I stay around the same.

Sending you love x

As long as it's working for you keep it up :).

Since my hours widely vary now for work anywhere from 7-12 start times & can end anywhere from 4-9 typically I have been trying to push my first meal back to around 11-2 & then eating the majority of my calories around 4-5 when I am on lunch.

On my days off I eat my first snack around 10-12 then it depends on how hungry I am when I eat my first meal.