Weight gain at 1400 a day

Options
I am a male 5”7’ 340 lbs and no matter how little I eat I struggle to loose weight even going as low as 1200 I lose very slowly is it possible me rmr is just that low? I am largely sedentary but have done daily exercise in the past with no results. This whole process is becoming very disheartening.

Replies

• neonmage0
    neonmage0 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi! My first concern would be whether you are truly eating 1400 calories. Are you using a food scale and measuring it out? When I started counting calories, I used to “eyeball” foods and realized I was overeating.

I would definitely check on that. Otherwise I would think you would be losing a little more.

I’be tried useing a scale in the past with no lick but I’m not useing one now.
  • neonmage0
    Options
    amy19355 wrote: »
    Did you use any tools to figure out how many calories a day to eat for weight loss? That’s really a good place to start with learning how many calories you need just to maintain your current weight. Then you can calculate a lower than that number and give it a whirl.

It might seem counter intuitive, but, it requires calories for your body to do any of the movements it does, like your heart beating, and stuff. So too few calories is a risky place to be.

Lots of good info here at MFP/

Yup used lots of them unfortunately for my weight they can be drastically off. Most of them tell me I should be eating between 2400 and 3000 calories per day
  • neonmage0
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Hi! My first concern would be whether you are truly eating 1400 calories. Are you using a food scale and measuring it out? When I started counting calories, I used to “eyeball” foods and realized I was overeating.

I would definitely check on that. Otherwise I would think you would be losing a little more.

Absolutely this. If you aren't using a food scale, then you're almost certainly eating more than you think you are. With your stats, you should be losing on considerably more than 1400. The minimum daily calorie intake for men is 1500, and you should not be eating less than that.

In addition, how long have you been eating this way without weight loss?

If you are using a food scale and carefully logging all your food, and if you have been doing this for several weeks with no weight loss, then I would visit your doctor to rule out underlying health problems.

I’ve been to the doctor several times and I’m healthyer than I have any reason to be at my weight. I’ve been trying to loose weight for about a year now and have managed to get from 375 to 340 but 15 lbs of that we’re from last month when I was extremely sick.
  • neonmage0
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Would you be willing to temporarily make your diary public? Maybe wed be able to see something with fresh eyes that you're missing.

It should be public
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    neonmage0 wrote: »
    amy19355 wrote: »
    Did you use any tools to figure out how many calories a day to eat for weight loss? That’s really a good place to start with learning how many calories you need just to maintain your current weight. Then you can calculate a lower than that number and give it a whirl.

It might seem counter intuitive, but, it requires calories for your body to do any of the movements it does, like your heart beating, and stuff. So too few calories is a risky place to be.

Lots of good info here at MFP/

Yup used lots of them unfortunately for my weight they can be drastically off. Most of them tell me I should be eating between 2400 and 3000 calories per day

Hi, you need to go on here MFP put in your age, height and weight. Then choose do you want to lose I am guessing 2 lbs a week. MFP will then tell you what your daily calorie intake should be. Also will ask if you are sedentary and sounds from what you said you are. That is the first step.

Second step log everything single item you eat.

And weigh every single item before you cook it, or eat it.

Do not forget to count as calories any oil, or dressings you use in making anything you eat.

Exercise is not required to lose weight, it is good for the body, but you do not have to do it.

But if you are eyeballing portions, you really cannot say for sure how much you are eating calorie wise.

It works the weighing and logging of food. I have lost 70 pounds, starting in May 2018.
  • neonmage0
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I am a male 5”7’ 340 lbs and no matter how little I eat I struggle to loose weight even going as low as 1200 I lose very slowly is it possible me rmr is just that low? I am largely sedentary but have done daily exercise in the past with no results. This whole process is becoming very disheartening.

How slow is slowly? It's going to be a long process. It's always longer than we would like. Shows like the biggest loser have set people up with some very unrealistic expectations.

1 year in an I’m down around 30 lbs
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    You can set it for 1500 as the male minimum and follow that. But still log all you eat, and weigh everything. Because at 1500 per day and say it was saying 2000 right there you would be at a deficit of 500 per day. So any exercise on top of that would be more of a deficit. Then of course is the discussion of how many of your exercise calories one is supposed to eat back. Often they state to eat back 50%, I only eat back 25%. Reason is I think MFP way over estimates for exercise.
  • neonmage0
    Options
    You can set it for 1500 as the male minimum and follow that. But still log all you eat, and weigh everything. Because at 1500 per day and say it was saying 2000 right there you would be at a deficit of 500 per day. So any exercise on top of that would be more of a deficit. Then of course is the discussion of how many of your exercise calories one is supposed to eat back. Often they state to eat back 50%, I only eat back 25%. Reason is I think MFP way over estimates for exercise.

I spent months eating 1200 a month and still only bairly loosing weight
  • neonmage0
    Options
    I quickly looked at your diary. Most days you are around 2000, if not more. That's assuming everything you've eaten is logged (sometimes we forget to add things, such as condiments, etc.). Lot's of restaurant foods in there, and it's not uncommon for the calorie counts on those to be off. Many days you only have lunch logged. Are you doing OMAD? Or forgetting to log additional snacks? Several days aren't logged at all. How much are you eating those days? It's very possible that the 2000 calories (plus errors) is leaving you a small calorie deficit, and the unlogged days are wiping that out.

Are you feeling full on what you are eating? Are there ways you can scale it back a bit? Or can you add some fruits and veggies to increase volume for lower calories, while cutting back on some of the higher calorie items? What about cooking more at home? I'm not against eating out, I'm just throwing out some suggestions that may help you reach your goals a bit easier.

The days in October I was sick only eating around 800 at most for the month once I got better I started rebounding pretty bad that’s most of the gaps and I log everything as lunch cause that’s when I do most of my eating. I do intermittent fasting so I’m out of calories by dinner and don’t eat breakfast
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I quickly looked at your diary. Most days you are around 2000, if not more. That's assuming everything you've eaten is logged (sometimes we forget to add things, such as condiments, etc.). Lot's of restaurant foods in there, and it's not uncommon for the calorie counts on those to be off. Many days you only have lunch logged. Are you doing OMAD? Or forgetting to log additional snacks? Several days aren't logged at all. How much are you eating those days? It's very possible that the 2000 calories (plus errors) is leaving you a small calorie deficit, and the unlogged days are wiping that out.

Are you feeling full on what you are eating? Are there ways you can scale it back a bit? Or can you add some fruits and veggies to increase volume for lower calories, while cutting back on some of the higher calorie items? What about cooking more at home? I'm not against eating out, I'm just throwing out some suggestions that may help you reach your goals a bit easier.

The days in October I was sick only eating around 800 at most for the month once I got better I started rebounding pretty bad that’s most of the gaps and I log everything as lunch cause that’s when I do most of my eating. I do intermittent fasting so I’m out of calories by dinner and don’t eat breakfast

What about condiments? I see chicken tenders and fries. Did you use sauce? Ketchup?

You're diary goal has been a bit all over the map as well. It was set at 1200, then 1600, then 800, then 1200. How long are you giving things to work before changing it up?
  • neonmage0
    Options

What about condiments? I see chicken tenders and fries. Did you use sauce? Ketchup?

You're diary goal has been a bit all over the map as well. It was set at 1200, then 1600, then 800, then 1200. How long are you giving things to work before changing it up?

I don’t normally use condiments and further back I stuck to things much longer I’ve been struggling a lot recently
This discussion has been closed.