Interesting article about carb cutting vs calories

Options

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

This discusses a study that found no difference between low fat and low carb. I thought it was a decent study, it was more about ways to create ad litem weight loss.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Ok so I reread my post and it seems I did click on the wrong link. Sorry for the confusion. I still dont think I should have been ridiculed though by some posters for making a mistake. Some people on here are very rude and think they Know it all! I was almost going to delete my mfp account for some comments but decided to stay because I love the app, just not some of the people in the community...but I guess that happens with social media. I wont be posting any longer because I dont need the backlash. Its detrimental to my weight loss success and I dont need the negativity in my life.
    Anyways THIS is the article i was referring to:
    https://www.thestar.com/life/2018/11/20/all-calories-are-not-alike-cutting-carbs-instead-of-calories-keeps-weight-off-study-says.html

For some reason this link doesnt want to work for me. Thats why I have been trying to find it and post it and then I ended up posting the wrong article. Such a mess!! Geesh...could only happen to me!😫

You posted articles that discussed two different studies, but they were both interesting studies worth discussing (even if the first one was that Ludwig one and Ludwig isn't trustworthy in many of our opinions). People only got confused because it wasn't clear the second one was a different study (I think because you didn't realize you'd posted two). No biggie -- a little confusion all cleared up.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    In the end, the best weight-loss diet is the one you can stick to. For me it works out that a low carb diet allows me to cut calories without being hungry all the time, but there are people who do just as well on high carb diets, vegetarian diets, etc. I think low-carb/ketogenic diets should be studied closer for therapeutic reasons, but for weight loss, whatever helps YOU cut calories with less pain is the best diet.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Back to the OP,

Many long term low carbers have had a similar experience to what Ludwig found. I'm one. I'm also someone who was developing insulin resistance and those people, as has been seen in other studies, do tend to lose a bit easier on a low carb diet. Nothing Earth shattering, but there was an unexpected ease and speed to losing.

In my experience (low carb/keto for 3.5+ yrs) I lost slightly faster than expected at my caloric intake. I also maintain at a higher caloric level than what my age and activity level would predict. I can slowly lose at 2000 kcal a day whereas if that was higher carb, I would be maintaining or very slowly gaining.

This isn't a universal truth for everyone. There are plenty of low carbers who lose exactly as the CICO model would predict. They are often the metabolically healthy. It's just a nice little benefit for some of us who choose to eat low carb for satiety and taste preferences or for health reasons.

I think some might be mixing Ludwig up with Lustig. One is more sensational than the other, IMO.

I think the study participant characteristics actually underline your point. Those assigned to the low carb group had, on average, higher fasting insulin than those in the other two groups. Isn't a sign of insulin resistance the fact that the body produces more insulin to try and counter balance the lower effect? So if there was a higher percentage of IR in the low carb group, then it would make sense that it had a disproportional effect on the result.

ETA: reason why I would have loved to see the statistical analysis / significance for the numbers provided on the study participant characteristics.

It also raises the point on how the randomization was carried out. Because including more people with IR in the low carb group would have caused a serious bias.

I don't believe that there were more with IR in the LCHF group, just that those with IR tended to be able to eat more calories than anticipated. I'd have to read it again.

But yes, those with IR do tend to benefit most from LCHF. Those with a healthy metabolism tend to have more diet flexibility. I think including those with IR in all groups is realistic - those with IR do not just eat LCHF.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    My thoughts...... What can people maintain. Low carb, outside a few people, is hard to maintain for MOST people. 100cals? Not much for me, but someone who maintains on 1200-1500 cals? Could be a lot to them.