‘‘Tis the season for rude comments

Options
Day after Thanksgiving. Yes, I overdid it, but who didn’t? And I also know that I weigh more now than I ever have in my life. I have started and stopped this journey too many times to count. I have about 50-60 pounds to lose. I know I’m fat. I’d have to be an idiot not to know that.

So this morning my mother texts me and says I’ve gained a lot of weight and she’s concerned. Exactly how was this supposed to be helpful to me? I just wanted to cry.

I should also add that she has leukemia. While her prognosis is good, it’s been stressful for everyone...and yeah, maybe I use food and alcohol a little bit to help cope.

I am a work in progress, but I’m trying.

Replies

• witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I didn’t ignore her apology though. I didn’t answer her immediately and she got angry with me. This happens every time I share my feelings with her, going back YEARS. She’s allowed to say whatever she wants, but I’m not allowed to have any feelings about it. I guess I have to develop a thicker skin where she’s concerned and just learn to take it.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Moms can push your buttons like nobody else. It's unfortunate that she picked a holiday to talk about your weight. I hope venting about it made you feel a little better.

Sounds like finding some other coping strategies might help you. It's hard to give up the things that give you comfort right when you need comfort most. I'm still working on substitutes for "comfort food" like comfort spiced tea, working out to music I like, running, and fancy fingernail colors. Hey, no one ever got fat from having metallic purple fingernails, right? And it works for me. I hope you find some strategies that work for you.
  • Phoebe5164
    Phoebe5164 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    @witchaywoman81 oh I feel for you! No one can hurt you as family can . It’s just not accepted to say you can’t relate to your mom.... I’m not sure why .You shouldn’t feel like you need a thicker skin , mean is mean !

I just decided years ago that I can’t make my mom be what I need her to be so I’ll try to remember the good times and ignore the negativity..... it’s hard and my moms 74....

Hugs to you , you are not alone 🌸

Don’t anyone tell me to appreciate that I have a mom .... I know I do she calls 3times a day ☹️
  • witchaywoman81
    edited November 2018
    Options
    But you can't change another person. You can only change how you respond, and you can try asking them to change themselves. Sometimes that will change the dynamics of the relationship. Sometimes it won't. You can live with it as it is, you can do what you can to change your responses, or you can limit or eliminate contact. Those are your choices.

I guess what I was trying to do was take another, healthier approach. Instead of dying a little inside but saying nothing to her about it, and then having the feeling come out later in a snide comment in an unrelated situation, I chose to tell her that I know I’m fat but that her comments hurt me and I’m doing the best I can. Through therapy I have learned that my family of origin is TERRIBLE at communication. I decided I want better for my kids.
  • witchaywoman81
    Options

Phoebe5164 wrote: »
    @witchaywoman81 oh I feel for you! No one can hurt you as family can . It’s just not accepted to say you can’t relate to your mom.... I’m not sure why .You shouldn’t feel like you need a thicker skin , mean is mean !

I just decided years ago that I can’t make my mom be what I need her to be so I’ll try to remember the good times and ignore the negativity..... it’s hard and my moms 74....

Hugs to you , you are not alone 🌸

Don’t anyone tell me to appreciate that I have a mom .... I know I do she calls 3times a day ☹️

How is, 'you've gained a lot of weight' --said to someone who acknowledges being 50 to 60 lbs overweight -- 'and I'm concerned' mean? Sometime mean is all in the head of the person interpreting the remark.

Maybe not “mean,” per se, but definitely not constructive or helpful, and the day after Thanksgiving, the biggest eating holiday of the year, to boot.

• witchaywoman81
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    I cared for my mom as she passed away from lung cancer. While in the hospital for an extended stay for tests, she insisted that I run to her house to get her cigarettes so she could smoke outside, off of hospital grounds. I was upset, under stress, and caring for a 1 year old, and she had me making cigarette runs. In the meantime, she made a point of reminding me that being fat was just as bad for you as smoking (I've been overweight most of my adult life and gained 30 lbs during that time that I was caring for her). No advice here... people are just disappointing :(

So sorry for your loss. ❤️
  • witchaywoman81
    Options
    But you can't change another person. You can only change how you respond, and you can try asking them to change themselves. Sometimes that will change the dynamics of the relationship. Sometimes it won't. You can live with it as it is, you can do what you can to change your responses, or you can limit or eliminate contact. Those are your choices.

I guess what I was trying to do was take another, healthier approach. Instead of dying a little inside but saying nothing to her about it, and then having the feeling come out later in a snide comment in an unrelated situation, I chose to tell her that I know I’m fat but that her comments hurt me and I’m doing the best I can. Through therapy I have learned that my family of origin is TERRIBLE at communication. I decided I want better for my kids.

I think expressing how it made you feel is a good thing. The problem is that you want her to respond to what you say in a specific way, and that's just not a realistic expectation.

I didn’t say that. 🤷‍♀️ I was simply venting about the initial text this morning and how it hurt me. I know that I can’t control how she responds. And I never blamed my weight on her leukemia either. I was fat long before she was diagnosed.