WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR NOVEMBER 2018

Options

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    Options
    We had a gas explosion in our neighborhood when growing up. The couple were asleep and blown free of their home. They were sleeping on the ground floor so they were okay!
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    hi Barbiecat. came looking for you. and I think i found you Miss seeing you Around
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,815 Member
    Options
    Celebrating DH's birthday today. DGD baked him some cookies and we are going out for dinner this evening.

Take care, Sue in WA
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Did a body attack DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Weight Loss Pilates DVD

Barbara – you know it – only Hellmans/Best Foods mayo. Down here they have this Dukes brand. To me, it’s Hellmans or nothing. I know that on the West Coast it’s called Best Foods. Same great flavor, tho. Poor Shadow is really torn. She so badly wants to explore…but then she has to deal with the other cats. But there’s nothing I can do about that.

Lisa – I hope you only go to ElPaso if they pay for you to fly there. The CEO wants you there, so he/she should be willing to do at least that much.

Lanette – that is so cute how your tree is “up”. Would your cat climb the tree? None of our cats have ever climbed the tree. Now, Denise’s cat one time did, but that’s all.

Don’t know what it was, but last night I couldn’t go to sleep. I finally went in the bedroom with Shadow. I must have fallen asleep because I didn’t hear her feeder go off.

Lissa in Oregon – What a neat spelling! welcome!

Margaret – how very scary. Something like that happened to me when I was little. Not my house, mind you, but a house near us. It’s terrible when you find out what the “boom” was.

Willow – our Christmas Eve tradition is that the dinner is all fish, no meat. We’ll be making the pierogi tonight. It looks like I may have to give up that tradition.

Made a chuck roast in the crockpot to have later in the week. Just made the pierogi and only one broke this year. Well, that’s better than last year when none broke!

Sue in WA – happy birthday to your dh.

Michele in NC
  • PressingPatience
    PressingPatience Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    trucker743 wrote: »
    PressingPatience…But I did exercise... first time in years. One of the DVDs I bought the other day.
    Great going! I have fibromyalgia too. A solid night’s sleep is SUPER important to avoid that, but I think I got more than my share yesterday and last night. Sheesh!

Sharon near Seattle

My psych meds help me sleep... most of the time. Plus... and y'all might think this is strange, but I read about it when looking for a "cure" for restless leg syndrome, but I put a bar of Ivory soap under the sheets of my bed and it really helps with the pain at night. I didn't think it would work. But I figured what did I have to lose if it didn't, right? Like I wasn't wasting the soap by sticking it under the sheet. You know? But it did. Someone did a study about it a while back and their conclusion was that it either consistently works for someone, or it doesn't work at all. It worked for me, and I'm glad it did. Anyway, that helps me sleep too. No more RLS and no more leg cramps -- and I've been doing it for years. It seems to help with the all over pain too. So sleep is one area where I'm okay, unless something hurts inside (gut problems or heartburn -- the soap doesn't help with that unfortunately). Or migraines. It won't help with those either. >_< Still, every little bit, right? ^_^

Willow in WA USA
  • PressingPatience
    PressingPatience Posts: 49 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I got my hair cut today!
    Last time was maybe May 2017.
    M in Oz

I have had trouble dealing w mine below my shoulder blades, but then, I wore it quite short until 2015. It grows really fast. What do you do with yours at night? Mine itches if it gets on my shoulders.

Sharon near Seattle

Do you have someone you go to in Issaquah? I haven't really found anyone here in North Bend. Then again, the last time I got tired of my long hair, I chopped it off myself. :smile: It's getting long again, and that's a pain because it's so thin that it tangles all of the time, esp in the winter. >_<

Willow in WA USA
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,

Machka – I read part of the “hack” on combining holidays and vacation time to get a longer time away, and got as far as the – and only use 17 days- and burst out laughing, at my last job you got 5 days a year could not be accumulated nor taken in conjunction with a holiday or sick time. The US is not as generous as anywhere else – and at that job we only got 6 holidays New Years Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.

Standard annual leave here is 20 days (4 weeks). Then we get 12 (I think) stat holidays. Plus many places have RDOs or Purchased Leave options which add another 10-12 days (mine is 10 days in my current job).

Plus weekends, of course.

So if we're strategic about it, we can get a couple months off each year.

This coming Christmas, I'm "forced" to take December 25 to January 1 (inclusive) off. Dec 24 is a voluntary holiday, so I'm not sure if I'll take it or not yet. I suspect about 80% of my work colleagues will take it off, so I might join the masses and take it off too. So that'll give me 11 days of leave, and I'll only use 4 days of annual leave.

Then I'll have to decide if we'll go somewhere. That's the challenging part. It depends. It depends on what's going on with my health and with my husband's ability to travel ... and with the fact that, since it's summer and all the kids are off school, it's a busy travel time.

Nevertheless, it'll be very nice to have time off.

M in Oz

Kim & Machka I read this with amused longing as well...I've been working for the same company for nearly 30 years. I have finally worked my way up to 15 days of paid annual leave. PAL time can't be taken in conjunction with holidays.
    Karen in Virginia

Both you and Kim mentioned that. Why can annual leave be taken in conjunction with holidays? That seems really odd ... what difference does it make if a person takes annual leave in conjunction with a regular weekend vs a long weekend?

Here, and in the places I've worked in Canada, it's expected that people will take annual leave in conjunction with holidays. Occasionally it has been a little bit of a fight to get there first because the place might need some staff on ... so the first half of the staff that book the leave will get it, or something like that. But I didn't miss out very often because I usually went for the holidays that were outside "school holiday" time.

Where I am now, I think that as long as there's one person in our "immediate" department of about 30 people who turns up, the rest of us can take it off. I'm thinking of this coming Christmas eve, for example. Most people will likely take that day off, but chances are there will be at least one person who will work it because that person is banking time for a different holiday.

All that said, our purchased leave is supposed to be used up within a year, so I'm expecting HR to get all excited and start sending me emails soon. I've got about 4 or 5 days of it I will need to use very soon. :grin:

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    I got my hair cut today!
    Last time was maybe May 2017.
    M in Oz

I have had trouble dealing w mine below my shoulder blades, but then, I wore it quite short until 2015. It grows really fast. What do you do with yours at night? Mine itches if it gets on my shoulders.

Sharon near Seattle

I put it above my head at night. There's enough of it that I can just pile it on the bed above my head. :)

M in Oz
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    :)
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,483 Member
    Options
    Joe was unusually complimentary on TD dinner, he's really making an effort to choose to be pleasant and positive. Thank Goodness. He even put leftovers in the fridge while I finished my plate. As the eldest of 5, he eats with lightning speed, finishing 2 plates and clearing the table as this slow-eater-tiny-bite-taker lingered over her one plate. Dishes washed, stovetop scrubbed, carcass in pot, simmered overnight, picked meat for dog treats and strained for stock? broth? What's the diff? Yesterday restful except for the vacuum RIP. Today Joe's going to take us to the beach (not a perfectly stormy day, Lanette, but easier with the dogs. . . ;> ), then it's the board meeting at 1 and line dancing tonight at the grange.

Lisa wish I had your way with words of appreciation, encouragement and validation to give right back to you. I'm in awe of your resourcefulness (preparing a list of corporate sponsors for the interview, WOW!) your compassion (for all of us here) and your grit (soldiering on through knee pain while rehabbing the house you're living in). How can you keep from singing the first two lines of "Some of these days..." to that interim CEO? :devil:
    Lanette "...up!" Hahahahahahahahaha! BUT when kitty decides stretching doesn't work, beware the flying tiger!
    Barbie your layers sound like the younger brother's in "A Christmas Story". Please take care not to fall :)
    Beth Ditto your Black Friday sentiments. Mama used to drive me around to see the Christmas lights, and its something I enjoy by myself wherever I am. This year think I'll do it after going to the Holiday Lights show in Azalea Park... then stop at O'Hollerans for a new-last-year-traditional adult hot cocoa. :devil:
    Karen in VA How valued you are by the CEO! Despite your company's need to keep paid leave policy on a par with competition. US vacation policy stinks, and seems to get stingier each year :(
    Sharon :heart:
    Michele does what happens to your pierogi that break the same as what happens to my cookies that break? :devil:
    Machka the idea of staffing a department with only one of thirty employees has me SMH. Before I retired, the company's management wouldn't allow more than one of ten out per department, and reserved the right to cancel ALL leave at "need," holidays, booked travel notwithstanding. What is "purchased leave"? Awesome trail run for you both. Well done!

Welcome Lissa in Oregon and Marycilec!

Pooped out on the line dancing, was just too cold and tired from the meeting. Went to bed early instead, so now here I am...

#24: Challenge... hmm... better fess up, the hardest challenge I've ever had to face is.... me. My default attitude is irascible, impatient, dare we say snarky? Menopause was the "decade of anger", after which I began making a conscious effort to mellow, let things be, choose my battles and fewer of them. I still struggle with impatience and bossiness (witness yesterday's board meeting). I'm embarrassed to admit this in the face of the real challenges others here face, especially those caring for loved ones, but there it is. It's all about me :(

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    walk one more step 17/24, 60 g protein 19/24, rx/vits 18/24, meditate 19/24, knee exercises 20/24, SWSY UP 4/8, SWSY LOW 3/8, core 4/8, play with Tumble 10/24, hang up or purge art 0/4 AF 17/24.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,687 Member
    Options
    Woke up at 3:45 this morning it is raining here so once Doris is up and had her coffee we will start on our ride home
  • Machka9
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Machka the idea of staffing a department with only one of thirty employees has me SMH. Before I retired, the company's management wouldn't allow more than one of ten out per department, and reserved the right to cancel ALL leave at "need," holidays, booked travel notwithstanding. What is "purchased leave"? Awesome trail run for you both. Well done!

Most of what we do isn't urgent ... most of it is done according to schedules or with long lead times. For example, I've got one report that goes out about the 10th working day of each month, and I've been working on another project since about May with no particular end date in sight.

And certain times of the year everything we deal with is closed anyway ... like this coming Monday 24 December. Parliament won't be sitting and the universities are all closed.

Purchased leave is when you agree to take a slight deduction in pay in order to get 10 extra days of leave. So rather than the normal 20 working days of leave, I've gone for purchased leave and I've got 30 working days of leave each year. I did that because of the uni courses I'm taking. I wanted my normal leave for real holidays, and I have used most of my purchased leave when I want to take an extra day off to get an assignment done or something. I'm kind of thinking I'll do that one or two days in early December for the course I'm currently in.

And thanks! I'm just a bit stiff, but I've been stretching and walking a bit so hopefully I'll feel all right tomorrow. :)

Machka in Oz

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    Was awake for 4 hrs last night. :/

Going out in a bit to buy extras to make the Christmas cake. I've got a lot of stuff left over from last year so it's not a mammoth shop.
    We can't actually cook it until tomorrow because we have to soak the dried fruit in brandy for a day.

I feel ok at the moment. Many be a bit tired later. :o Did my exercises.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    Options
    :heart: