7whylrd4m4mh.jpeg
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Kelly and enjoy the vacation. NYKAREN
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Blearg. Yesterday was one of catastrophic eating, drinking and inactivity. Pfaugh.

Awakened HUNGRY (all that sugar) but suaged it with a half ounce of jerky. Meeting a T'ai Chi buddy for coffee at local bakery, saving carbs for a bagel or low sugar scone. Then time to get MOVING!

Katla Zicam taken according to the directions has always helped me shorten colds. Likewise gargling with hot salt water several times a day, followed by Yogi Cold Season Tea with lemon and honey. Hot clear soup. Aspirin. Rest. ;) For the clogged sinuses either vicks or pungent herbs (spearmint, rosemary) in simmering water, stand over it and breathe the steam in for as long and you can stand it. Sorry no good tips for improving own feelings, when Joe is crabby I do not react well :(
    Lisa first bread baked in new home... Aaaahhhh!
    Carol ditto about hating the time change. It throws me off and makes the change to short days seem so much more abrupt.
    KJ Belated happiest birthday Miss Kellie! Any suggestions on how to flip my attitude about the time change? Snowman peeps in cocoa LOL!
    Barbie thanks! Set alarm/reminder to move 9 lb turkey breast from freezer to fridge tomorrow am.
    Willow likewise our TD will be quiet as we are far from Joe's family and mine are all gone ahead. Joe seems to dislike the holidays but tolerates me making a few things I like (turkey, stuffing, gravy, sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts). Sometimes I decorate for Christmas, sometimes not. Was really into it when I was young and single, but now not so much.
    Lanette ghee-massaged roasted veggies, cool idea! I usually put them in a plastic bag, drizzle some avocado oil in, and roll them around 'til coated. Do the same with the rarely-allowed russet potato ;)
    allie your lavender chamomile tea sounds lovely. Why on earth would Mary care if you went in early?
    Michele one trick to help keep tears at bay is to swallow a tiny sip of water. Physically impossible to weep and swallow simultaneously. But watch out, if it goes up your nose you might end up snorting, crying and laughing all at once! Not sure all Medicare plans include gym membership, might just be the Advantage plans or even just some of them. Know our Supplemental does not. :(
    Paige gorgeous pic... and the landscape too!
    Kathy (and Beth's brother) thanks for confirming my decision not to seek bio mom til after Papa and Mama passed. It was the right one for me.
    Sharon great motivation. Think I'll start practice walking out our half mile drive/lane combo. Fortunately the creek is shallow on one side of the culvert. Ditto about hauling ANYTHING up the hill.

Any word from Mary in AZ or Meg in Omaha?

#18 art: ditto Beth about the stained glass... but more moved by music than the visual arts. Handel's Messiah leaps to mind.
    #19 touch: spoon/snuggling up to my husband's back.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    walk one more step 15/18, 60 g protein 15/18, rx/vits 15.5/18, meditate 15/18, knee exercises 16/18, SWSY UP 3/8, SWSY LOW 2/8, core 3/8, play with Tumble 8/17, hang up or purge art 0/4 AF 13/18.

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,556 Member
    Options
    Ooo
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,927 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    :) I like cooking and eating turkey. I learned from my mother and have enjoyed the process most of my adult life. I don't so much like having company and having to make everything look nice and make conversation. For the several years that I ate no meat, we had no turkey for Thanksgiving although twice we invited friends for an odd meal that didn't include turkey. This year Jake really wanted turkey and since I've eaten a bit of meat here and there recently, I saw no reason to not cook a turkey. All I really wanted was turkey, stuffing, gravy, and cranberry sauce. Jake wanted mashed potatoes, black olives, and honeycrisp apple pie from QFC. We reached out to some friends who might otherwise not have had Thanksgiving with friends or family and they accepted our invitation. One is bringing homemade dinner rolls that are a specialty of hers and the others will bring a vegetable (Jake said "anything but green beans"). I gave away all the paraphernalia I used to use keep the stuffing inside the turkey so rather than buy more, I decided to go with the several recommendations I've heard that it's safer to not stuff a turkey. The other advantage of that is that it will take less time to get the turkey in the oven in the morning after my morning walk and still have the turkey ready to serve at mid-day.

zenf1adcy55p.jpg

:) I don't like the practice of going around the table and asking people what they are thankful for especially in a group of people that don't have a long history with each other. The answers will either be superficial or ask that people share things that may be too personal to share among new acquaintances. A few years ago I went to Thanksgiving at a friend's house and she put a typed quote in front of each person (the quotes were about being thankful or grateful) and each person read their quote and some opportunity was allowed to respond to the quote. That's my plan for this year.

:) Jake has gone to take the car for maintenance and then will go for a haircut. He is enjoying driving without glasses now after his surgery. I am enjoying being home alone.

:)Kelly, Happy birthday and happy vacation

<3 Barbie from beautiful chilly sunny NW Washington
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    M in OZ: I am also grateful for my husband’s touch, for the opportunity to touch him, and also for the soothing value of petting my dog. :heart:

Allie: When my parent teacher organization wanted to treat the staff as a thank you gesture, they would bring us each a cup of Starbucks coffee & we got to let them know what we like ahead of time. I haven’t seen Starbucks in the Midwest, but I have seen Duncan Donuts. They also make great coffee. Just a thought. :star: Why would a coworker care if you went in early?:huh:

Heather: You might consider mounting the roller blind above the window behind a valance. Then you would know it will be out of the way of the lovely stained glass. :star:

KJ: I am cold free, thank goodness. I did wake up with some sinus pressure yesterday and today, too. :ohwell: I hope I stay cold free.

Barbara: Our medicare plan pays for a gym membership. So does DSIL’s. You might be eligible. I would investigate the possibilities if I was you. :star;

I want to go to yoga this morning. I need to get moving!

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,221 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Made some progress today on organising the house. I've made sense of the living room shelves. :D:D:D I put lots of my ceramics on there, plus my grandfather's books he won as prizes at Sunday School, but there was not much of DH. I had the brainwave of using his Penguin paperbacks, which are colour coordinated. He was very pleased, so all honour equal. We still have to get his batik up onto the wall.
    He tackled his study and unpacked loads of books. He also found the shelves we thought we had lost, plus the second bag of Christmas decorations. I intend to seriously cut down the number of books we still own. We got rid of 2,000 before we moved.
    With my grandfather's books are a set of a really old (1720) translation of Homer's Iliad by Alexander Pope in 6 vols. I chose them in 1968 and my mother bought them for me as an engagement present. 5 guineas. I rarely look at them, so decided to sell them. Rang a bookseller, but he didn't jump at the chance. Online they are advertised for very good money, but I'm not sure there is much of a market. He warned that the online prices are not realistic. They are, however, worth more than I expected. Not sure what to do now. :/;):* I could do with the cash.

Made the most delicious king prawn and spinach curry tonight. Low calorie too. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • lcharpentier2
    lcharpentier2 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Lots of catching up to do. I'm not up to much again today. But this foot will heal. And all will be good.
    Lanette
    That plate of veg. sure looks good. Reminder that is the way we should eat.
    Michelle
    Someone said you might benefit from councilling it may not seem like abuse but darn close. It's certainly some kind of mental abuse.
    Kim
    You made a bunch of apple sauce will it keep without the sugar.
    Trucker
    Thanks for the invite.

All is well i'm all caught up.
    see you all lighter
    Linda in the great white North. Ontario.
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Just managed to catch up. Have been to see DD and grands for a few days, eating not too good but did my exercise workouts. Went to see Bohemian Rhapsody really good but so sad, even though we know how it ended.

They have a new puppy, a rescue collie from Ireland. They are hoping to train him as a support dog for my grand who has EDS and uses a wheelchair a lot of the time. At the moment he is a nightmare, chews everything, drags sticks in from the garden. He is cute and lovable though and is improving. DD is training him with a reward system, whereas I want to shout at him but what do I know!

Starting to get excited about our Spanish trip

Welcome to all newbies, I'll try to get to grips with who is who

Hugs for those with family problems, I can sympathise as DDs is a bit dysfunctional.

Kate UK <3
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,057 Member
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    evie1958 wrote: »
    Lisa, that sculpture is stunning!
    Katla, my hubby sometimes gets cranky with me and I used to just take it. Same as with you, it was because he was unhappy/uncomfortable etc. Now I have started letting him know that while I understand he is in pain/frustrated/whatever that it's not my fault and that being cranky with me won't solve anything. It does tend to settle him down. My two cents worth, good luck.... Hope everyone has a great day!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island

Katla - I was just ready to post what Evie just posted! B) I think those of us married to guys with chronic and painful health conditions get used to tuning them out and not taking it personally, but sometimes, we just can't take it anymore. And it starts to erode our self esteem and self confidence.

I try to wait to "counsel" mine when he's in a better mood and start joshing him, "have you been feeling worse lately? Do you think your meds are doing the job? The past few days I feel like you've been auditioning for Grumpy Old Men. Not that you haven't been for the past 40 years! I'm going to go call Hollywood right now."

I can get usually get a smile or laugh from him then we can talk it out and it usually helps without anyone taking offense. It's taken me decades to get this wise, lol. I'm not that patient and want it better NOW!

Otherwise, I've been known to resort to retail therapy or go for a walk, seems now I escape with something on Netflix or Hulu. Good luck!!! <3

(((HUGS))))

Lanette
    SW WA State

A friend of mine liked that I gave her this tool when dealing with a difficult situation or person. This reaction to the (whatever it may be) works for you. It does not work for me. Even if you do not say it outloud I find saying this to myself helps. It helps me to think about what might be motivating the other party.I can then choose how I will react. It also reminds me to pick my battles carefully.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,057 Member
    Options
    Can't sleep,has anyone heard from Lenora?DJ? Sure do miss them.

I have been thinking about her too.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    :)
  • lcharpentier2
    lcharpentier2 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Been this far but nothing to report.
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    B)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,221 Member
    Options
    <3
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,753 Member
    Options
    Kelly ... Happy Birthday!!

Rebecca ... I love eggnog and that one looks pretty darn good!!

Barbara AHMOD... I was adopted as an infant and always knew I was adopted. When I was about 30, the Children's Home that handled my adoption gave me the option of finding my birth mother. (Up until that time, they had not been willing to share any information.) My mom encouraged me to do so. I opted to get what was called a "non-identifying birth history" from the home. It included everything pertinent to my adoption and summaries of conversations that social workers documented with my birth mother. I learned her first name and my first name before being adopted, anecdotal information about her family and the circumstances surrounding my conception and adoption ... 16 pages worth. It was more than enough information for me and answered the main questions I had. Unfortunately, no one paid any attention to medical history then, so really didn't get anything specific, just inferences by some of the comments made. I have considered petitioning the court to unseal my adoption over the years, but have always decided to leave sleeping dogs lie. Despite my mom's assertion that she would understand if I chose to meet my birth mother, I know without a doubt that this is not quite true. She would be hurt.

And Kathy in KY ... I have one very vivid memory of my 13 year old self who foolishly and selfishly screamed at my mom that I didn't have to listen to her because she wasn't my "real mother." I'll never forget the pain on her face or the fury on my dad's. As I said, young people can be very stupid. I'm hoping your daughter and my niece will come to a place where they realize their "real mom" is the one they grew up with.

19 Touch ... hugs and held hands from those I love ...

Beth near Buffalo
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,556 Member
    Options
    ldwq40yunjsp.jpeg
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,745 Member
    Options
    I was over 200 posts behind when I started trying to get caught up yesterday. I have been very busy crafting and having craft sales to attend, on top of it, wouldn't you know it work got a busy as well.

I didn't even try to keep notes because it was reading when I had a minute.

Hugs to all who need them.

Tracey in Edmonton