Don't be that Vegetarian...

Options

Replies

• amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    People dont even realize Im vegetarian until we go out and eat in public or something. I used to be preachy but know that it does not spread the message by just spouting "YOU EAT MEAT, HOW COULD YOU...YOURE THE SPAWN OF SATAN!!!1!!1"....Instead.. people usually just ask why I dont eat meat and I can explain it rationally with facts without making them out to be a villian and vegetarians/vegans to be some super enlightened chosen people . I know why people do get passionate about it, the animal agriculture industry is depleting the Earth's resources, causes uneccessary suffering and that just makes me sad. It is cognitive dissonance, but all you can do is try understand someones point of view, educate and the maybe agree to disagree.
  • Finkelstien
    Finkelstien Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Typical christmas dinner:

me: minding my own food and munching away happily.
    Uncle A: Why are you not eating the meat?
    me: I am a vegetarian
    Uncle a: Why?
    me: I dislike the way we (humanity) treat our animals and i do not want to be part of that.
    Uncle A+The whole table: Whole tirade about how meat eating is necessary and 500 other reasons for eating meat and that i am another rotten vegetarian that preaches about eating vegetarian.
    me: just minding my own food

• RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    What's REALLY fun to do to the loud jerky vegetarians, is to research and and have facts about 1- how migrant workers who pick vegetables and fruit are treated, 2- lots of 'vegan' or 'vegetarian' processed foods is just as bad for the environment as processed non-vegetarian foods and 3- locally sourced farm meat (I live pretty rural so can buy meat from small family farms) is more ego friendly than mass produced vegetarian options

Granted I NEVER bring it up first, only if they start harping on me for my food choice.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Vegetarians are cool. Some vegans are overly fanatical and judgy imo.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian who acknowledges that the vegetables I eat are grown in soil that contains animal waste and decay, bugs that you probably don't notice...so am I truly vegetarian? Hmmm. It's all just a cycle.

I also have no problem picking pepperoni or bacon (way harder) off pizza and don't care if I miss some.

I know wine processing uses bone or something and my gummy bears have bovine or porcine cartilage in them to make the gelatin, don't care.

Looking at all my bruises sometimes makes me wonder if a steak would do me good...but nah, I much prefer the taste of lentil soup and always my #1 - potatoes, they give me joy!
  • bojack5
    bojack5 Posts: 2,859 Member
    Options
    I would say in reality i have no beef with vegetarians.....pun intended. :). I would say the bigger problem they have is, about 80% of them dont do it right and arent getting the proper amount of nutrients. If you arent taking a boatload of supplements odds are you will suffer being unhealthy for your beliefs......
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    bojack5 wrote: »
    I would say in reality i have no beef with vegetarians.....pun intended. :). I would say the bigger problem they have is, about 80% of them dont do it right and arent getting the proper amount of nutrients. If you arent taking a boatload of supplements odds are you will suffer being unhealthy for your beliefs......

Lemme see if I've got this right:

You're not a vegetarian. You probably don't really totally approve of vegetarians, given the "jokes".

But you know how most of us do vegetarian-ing (around 80% of us), and are ready to lecture us on our nutritional requirements.

All righty, then.

There's a boatload of something here, but I don't think it's supplements. ;)
  • MrSunshinez
    MrSunshinez Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    capnrus789 wrote: »
    If everyone were a vegetarian you'd have to walk around with a hatchet or machete, carving your way through the hordes of turkeys, chickens and cows wildly roaming the planet.

I think before that happens an organization will be set up to monitor populations. We'd have vast farms to keep the animals segregated by gender so they couldn't fornicate unnoticed. Then a frustrated bull will get all up in arms and hold a picket sign stating the he has rights and needs too and that this gender segregation is turning him gay. Then we'll have the Faster's group jump on the bandwagon stating the heads of lettuce and stalks of celery and carrots are in an uproar about their cries of outrage and fear of going under the knife are too small to be heard but matter too.
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    This thread cracks me up. My response to a lot of this... on both sides:

qo0ojngm0zmd.gif

Let's just agree that food is food and nourishment. People can choose to have different nourishment, but no one's method is "superior". That's why there are so many options.

The most sensible post in the chain .....
  • _aenyeweddien_
    _aenyeweddien_ Posts: 102 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    “If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be vegetarian”

Not true. Some people are just more squeamishly inclined. Friends of mine own one of the largest slaughterhouses in NZ... I found the whole process fascinating.

* I was raised raw vegan Mon -Fri. Pescetarian Saturday. Pollotarian Sunday.

It has nothing to do with being squemish. I work in the hospital and have seen more procedures/surgeries than I can count and none of them disgusted me. I simply don't agree with cruel slaughter of innocent creatures if we can be perfectly fine and healthy as vegeterians/vegans, and I will not be a part of it. If you do, that's your personal choice.

Watch Earthlings and see if you still find it fascinating.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    “If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be vegetarian”

Not true. Some people are just more squeamishly inclined. Friends of mine own one of the largest slaughterhouses in NZ... I found the whole process fascinating.

* I was raised raw vegan Mon -Fri. Pescetarian Saturday. Pollotarian Sunday.

It has nothing to do with being squemish. I work in the hospital and have seen more procedures/surgeries than I can count and none of them disgusted me. I simply don't agree with cruel slaughter of innocent creatures if we can be perfectly fine and healthy as vegeterians/vegans, and I will not be a part of it. If you do, that's your personal choice.

Watch Earthlings and see if you still find it fascinating.

Precisely, a matter of choice, not something willed via transference.

@Earthlings ... Nutrition based up to code farms vs animal cruelty ... Apples and oranges. Profit (puppy mills et al) VS Human Food Security.
  • bojack5
    bojack5 Posts: 2,859 Member
    Options
    @777Gemma888 all I'm saying is that many people who eat meat don't give a single thought to where it comes from and how it gets to the shelf in the shop. Once they learn a bit about it, or see it, I'm sure many of them would make different choices in the future. I'm sure of it cause I used to be one of those people.

I agree with this. Factory farming is an unethical practice. A huge part of eating meat comes from this source. Almost any fast food meat you can gaurantee is provided in this manner. But there is a middle ground. I have no problem with a vegans moral stance, i have a problem with the stance that eating meat as a whole makes someone unethical. There is ethical ways of farming that meat can be derived from. Hey, the amount of carnage that commercial agriculture causes is an issue as well. Run a combine through a field and watch the vultures circle over head for all the dead animals that get chopped up.....its surreal. Planting hundreds of thousands of rows of corn in fields is unnatural and depletes the soil. There is pros and cons to both sides. The common ground that should be agreed on is the halting of factory farming. A hunter that kills is own food may be as ethical and responsible as they come. They are acting in the complete natural way as "god" intended. Eating meat does not make a person immoral, and not eating meat doesnt make anyone a hero.....both can be done with dignity and class as long as the cause to be humane is on both sides and one not demonize the other.
  • MrSunshinez
    MrSunshinez Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    @777Gemma888 all I'm saying is that many people who eat meat don't give a single thought to where it comes from and how it gets to the shelf in the shop. Once they learn a bit about it, or see it, I'm sure many of them would make different choices in the future. I'm sure of it cause I used to be one of those people.

I think where I have a problem with vegetarians is the lack of end game scenarios that they want to achieve. Sure, it's nice to have this goal of "save the animals" but how do we make changes to keep a functioning society while maintaining our sense of morality. Like one person above posted about we'd be overrun by hordes of animals. It's true…if unmanaged over centuries. That's why we have legalized hunting now, to keep populations in check.

So we stop killing animals for food what we do with the growing populations of cows, pigs, chickens etc.? How do we control that population financially and humanly and how sustainable would it be for future generations. And when *that* population gets to be unmanageable what then?

When I pose those questions to people in person I get a deer in the head lights look and all I can say to myself is "Well at least they have a good heart".
  • aerospace_engineer
    aerospace_engineer Posts: 7 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

I think where I have a problem with vegetarians is the lack of end game scenarios that they want to achieve. Sure, it's nice to have this goal of "save the animals" but how do we make changes to keep a functioning society while maintaining our sense of morality. Like one person above posted about we'd be overrun by hordes of animals. It's true…if unmanaged over centuries. That's why we have legalized hunting now, to keep populations in check.

So we stop killing animals for food what we do with the growing populations of cows, pigs, chickens etc.? How do we control that population financially and humanly and how sustainable would it be for future generations. And when *that* population gets to be unmanageable what then?

When I pose those questions to people in person I get a deer in the head lights look and all I can say to myself is "Well at least they have a good heart".

I would also like to add if I may. I do agree with a system of balance. And I do have a huge heart when it comes to all creatures on this planet. It does break my heart to see animals harmed. Kinda hard not to especially when they look cute and cuddly. There is research being done now, and scientist are starting to learn a bit more about plant life. For instance I have read an article that scientist are finding out that trees have a nervous system and actually make "friends." Which also points out that there is emotions to plant life as well. We also know this through Dr. Emoto's water experiment. My question then is why is it ok for mass farming of plant life to be slaughtered, over animals? Just a thought provoking question. I feel like being vegan or vegetarian can be a great way to live from a health perspective. (Though I have never tried it yet) I have many friends who are vegan. I still choose to eat meat. And I always
    bless my food and the animal and plants that gave its life so that I am able to sustain my body.