November 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Since we're talking winter running, and we have a lot of folks who weren't with us last winter, I'm going to plug these again, pull-up golf mitts.

These are essentially fleece mittens, but with no thumb, and an opening on the palm side to let you stick your fingers out if need be, or even pull them back if your hands are getting too warm. I wear these in the coldest weather over my normal running gloves. They allow better temperature regulation (my hands alternate between cold and warm while I run), allow me to pull them back to access zippers or pockets, and they extend up my arm enough to keep my wrists warm. With no separate thumb, my thumbs easily stays warm as well.

I see Amazon currently has these between $6 and $11 with free shipping, depending on size. That's a nice price. Turtle Fur also makes a version of these which are probably higher quality, but I've not tried them.

I'll 2nd this... I took @7lenny7 advice last year and are perfect for me. I usually wear my light gloves underneath that have tech thingys that allow me to still navigate my phone if needed, but usually it stays tucked in my running belt!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    rusgolden wrote: »
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Since we're talking winter running, and we have a lot of folks who weren't with us last winter, I'm going to plug these again, pull-up golf mitts.

These are essentially fleece mittens, but with no thumb, and an opening on the palm side to let you stick your fingers out if need be, or even pull them back if your hands are getting too warm. I wear these in the coldest weather over my normal running gloves. They allow better temperature regulation (my hands alternate between cold and warm while I run), allow me to pull them back to access zippers or pockets, and they extend up my arm enough to keep my wrists warm. With no separate thumb, my thumbs easily stays warm as well.

I see Amazon currently has these between $6 and $11 with free shipping, depending on size. That's a nice price. Turtle Fur also makes a version of these which are probably higher quality, but I've not tried them.

I'll 2nd this... I took @7lenny7 advice last year and are perfect for me. I usually wear my light gloves underneath that have tech thingys that allow me to still navigate my phone if needed, but usually it stays tucked in my running belt!

Nice! I apparently have weirdly warm hands so I’ll try these without another pair of gloves underneath. They look like they might be better for ventilation than the cheap gloves I’ve been wearing, too. Sadly, I will have to wait a week for the smalls to come back in stock. Life is hard sometimes.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I just bought a pair of the Turtle Fur version. I have large hands and I'm hoping that the turtle fur XL are a bit bigger than the L version of what I linked to.
  • Teerai
    Teerai Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
    5k and that's November for me, tomorrow is a lifting day and Friday is a rest day before St Jude 5k race on Saturday. My goals this November were to survive my first half marathon and come back in time to get some speed work in before St Jude. Since the hip which started hurting during my half feels better now, and I had a 5k PR at my Turkey Trot, I'm satisfied on both fronts.

It was so cold this morning! If I hate two things it's cold and mornings. Since St Jude gun time is 7 am I wanted to get at least one morning run in, just so on race day my body wouldn't think I had actually lost my mind. The ridiculous thing is, now, at 2 pm, the time I usually run, it's 50 F and glorious running weather. This morning at 7 am it was 24 degrees with a windchill of 20, which is almost as cold as it ever gets here. Morale, spectacularly low. I even contemplated the dreadmill. But then I got out there and of course once I started running I was fine.

The best part about running in the cold is that other people think you are totally badass. Other runners give you the special nod, people in passing cars stare, neighbors comment about how impressed they are.

Haha Rhedd- um, this is kinda badass...lol
    Glad the hip is better! :)

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    The best part about running in the cold is that other people think you are totally badass. Other runners give you the special nod, people in passing cars stare, neighbors comment about how impressed they are.

And that is the real reason we run outside in the winter.

We are really limited right now - 2 days of freezing rain - started as ice pellets turned into rain then back to ice pellets and just to make the trails and roads more of a challenge it transitioned to snow.
    Picture a layer of ice pellets that will break away like marbles under your foot sitting on top a layer of ice covered in snow. Just about dreadmill conditions. Most of our little club decided it was a good day week for cross training at the pool. So probably no runs for the rest of the week. :(:s

Usually we are -10 to -15C with lots of clear skies and bright sunshine at this time of year, so once the trails/roads get compacted or plowed in a few days they are fantastic. This promises at least 1-2 weeks of nasty conditions.

@7lenny7 glad to hear you are seeing a progressive in your healing and recovery. The K ster must be getting cabin fever from not running the trails.

Looking forward to see Santa Shuffle Fun Run Pictures with the special collection of Christmas Themed clothing. Now if you can find a hat/toque with LED flashing lights