November 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @garygse Please update us on those shoes. I am actually very curious about the claims.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo Wow! Great race, you romped on in!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    It was 47 degrees when I started running this morning. It was so wonderful! I only got regular people sweaty. Woot! Temps in the 40s (Fahrenheit) is officially my favorite running weather. :)

@amymoreorless I can totally relate to the "regular people sweaty"!! I joke that my husband "glistens" and I sweat. It's super annoying when I look like I went for a swim and he's got like 2 beads of sweat on his forehead!

@martaindale Woot! another "heavy glistening person" in this thread! I think @PastorVincent mentioned he was in this awesomely glistening group as well.... LOL

One lady in my running group consistently tells me I am blessed with an, "efficient cooling system". Ugh. She has the best intentions, however, I feel like it's a "bless your heart" kind of comment (if your from the Southern USA, you know what this means).

Yep me too and in the gym it is even worse than outside. My trainer says something similar but not in the 'bless your heart' tone. He just tells me it is because I am in great shape!

@Avidkeo - awesome job, great race report! Congratulations you did it!!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I had a lightbulb moment this morning on my way home after my run. I've been beating myself up for a few runs now about the fact that I seem to be running faster than my very conservative (self-imposed so I shouldn't hurt anything) HM target pace and can't slow down. I really do try to make myself go slower but it just doesn't happen. Then it suddenly dawned on me..... maybe all this training is just making me faster? I think I prefer that theory to the "I'm so useless I can't pace myself" one!

@eleanorhawkins Hahaha, that's the same thought process I've been having lately! I suspect I'm kidding myself unlike you. :smile:

@dkabambe So great to see you in here again! A belated "bravo" on your London Marathon. I think you would definitely have done it in 4 h 20 since it was so stupidly warm (from all I've heard). 5 h 3 min is really great! (I did around 5 h 30 at Melbourne Marathon in October and it was too warm.)

@garygse I just did the Homer Simpson drool noise/face when I saw your VaporFlys. :smiley:

@Avidkeo Wow, awesome half!!! Excellent time. Loved your recap.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
    5 mile tempo run - still trying to get the hang of this tempo run business. Ended up running what I think is my fastest time over five miles, averaged a 10 minute pace the whole time.

Since we were already running at the park where it's going to be held, we ran the route for the upcoming Hungry Turkey 5k and then lapped around and did the first 2 miles a second time. There's one really stinky hill which I remember from running the Starry Nights Fun Run on the same course in December. I didn't realize until today that it was the same course because the fun run was at night, in the snow, surrounded by Christmas lights, and I had no idea where I even was the whole time I was running it! We run at this park all the time, but this particular steep hill isn't one we usually run because it's on a two lane road with no shoulder, so normally people only run it when the park is closed for races. But today we were trying to figure out the course so we just charged up the hill against traffic. And did not die, yay!

The Hungry Turkey race gives out cinnamon rolls at the finish line. I looked the nutritional info up to see if I could safely eat part of one, and um, no. They are the size of a paper plate, they have eleven hundred calories, and 175g net carbs. After a 5k I can handle maybe 60g. And 5k burns what, at most 500 calories, usually more like 300? A lot of folks out there probably figure they "earned" this cinnamon roll by running, and they aren't even close. Oh my!

OMG yeah thats really a mixed message - come burn calories by running, and now here is something that contains 3x the number of calories you burned
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @garygse Please update us on those shoes. I am actually very curious about the claims.

I got to try on a pair and for someone who pronates they are terrifying - like running on the blade of a skate. And they do feel like jumping up and down on a diving board. But I can see how they would be awesome for someone with solid running mechanics.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options

I got to try on a pair and for someone who pronates they are terrifying - like running on the blade of a skate. And they do feel like jumping up and down on a diving board. But I can see how they would be awesome for someone with solid running mechanics.

I don't have the pronation issue. But supposedly they make you faster. I saw a graph somewhere and I believe it's what the men were wearing when attempting to break 2 hours in the marathon.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

I don't have the pronation issue. But supposedly they make you faster. I saw a graph somewhere and I believe it's what the men were wearing when attempting to break 2 hours in the marathon.

Seems like a car would make me fast enough to break the 2 hours... and be a lot less work. ;)
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,979 Member
    Options
    Great job on the HM @Avidkeo !
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Two mile recovery run after yesterday's HM.

November goal: 75 miles
    11/1: recovery
    11/2: recovery
    11:3: recovery
    11/4: recovery
    11/5: recovery
    11/6: 12 miles
    11/7: 6 miles
    11/8: lazy
    11/9: lazy
    11/10: 4 miles
    11/11: lazy
    11/12: planned rest
    11/13: 3 miles
    11/14: lazy
    11/15: 13 miles
    11/16: 2 miles
    TOTAL MILES RUN: 40

UPCOMING RACES
    November - 5 mile Bare Bones Turkey Trot (22nd)
    December -

COMPLETED RACES
    January - Frosty 5k
    February - Run for the Chocolate 5k
    March - Penguin in the Park 5k
    April - Lake Sara Dam 5k
    May - Run Through the Jungle 5k
    June - French Fried 5k
    July - Firecracker 5k
    August - Happy Birthday to Me virtual 10k
    September 7th - 5k Glow Run
    October - Illinois Homecoming 5k
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options

Seems like a car would make me fast enough to break the 2 hours... and be a lot less work. ;)

I will never break 2 hours for a half but I will take every advantage I can and if that means $250 shoes? I want to make sure it's worth it first. LOL
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

I will never break 2 hours for a half but I will take every advantage I can and if that means $250 shoes? I want to make sure it's worth it first. LOL

'Cept they were talking about two hours for the FULL marathon. Insane.
  • shanaber
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    It was 47 degrees when I started running this morning. It was so wonderful! I only got regular people sweaty. Woot! Temps in the 40s (Fahrenheit) is officially my favorite running weather. :)

@amymoreorless I can totally relate to the "regular people sweaty"!! I joke that my husband "glistens" and I sweat. It's super annoying when I look like I went for a swim and he's got like 2 beads of sweat on his forehead!

@martaindale Woot! another "heavy glistening person" in this thread! I think @PastorVincent mentioned he was in this awesomely glistening group as well.... LOL

One lady in my running group consistently tells me I am blessed with an, "efficient cooling system". Ugh. She has the best intentions, however, I feel like it's a "bless your heart" kind of comment (if your from the Southern USA, you know what this means).

Yep me too and in the gym it is even worse than outside. My trainer says something similar but not in the 'bless your heart' tone. He just tells me it is because I am in great shape!

@Avidkeo - awesome job, great race report! Congratulations you did it!!

When I run in the gym, I literally (not figuratively) could not get any wetter than if I fell in a pool. People will KNOW I was on dreadmill, inside, and STILL ask if was caught in a storm. :D

Yes me too... it is so embarrassing to have puddles on either side of the stationary bike or wonder if you should wipe down the sides of the treadmill (running boards?).
  • shanaber
    Options
    @hanlonsk - you got up and out the door. Yes - 1 mile is definitely better than no miles!