November 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    My current running shoe is a Saucony 'run anywhere.' I just looked online and looks like they are currently only available in Europe. I love them. I have no idea what the drop is. It is more of a trail shoe than a true runner. I like this due to my typical terrain - very rural and I might be on asphalt, but in leaves, branches and the ever ankle turning acorns!

I purchased a pair of Mizuno Wave Inspire 14 - 12mm drop, stability shoe. I chose this one bc I pronate outward and the advisor recommended this. They have a lot of bounce in the toe box, but do not feel as stable as my Saucony. I have only worn them twice, and TBH don't love them (yet)

I think I will make the trip and get professionally fitted next go round.
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    I had a lightbulb moment this morning on my way home after my run. I've been beating myself up for a few runs now about the fact that I seem to be running faster than my very conservative (self-imposed so I shouldn't hurt anything) HM target pace and can't slow down. I really do try to make myself go slower but it just doesn't happen. Then it suddenly dawned on me..... maybe all this training is just making me faster? I think I prefer that theory to the "I'm so useless I can't pace myself" one!
    This might be true. How are you feeling at that pace-could you have a conversation? What is your breathing like? (If you track heart rate, how does it compare?)
    If I'd known that half marathon training would equal extra pizza I would have started this craziness a lot earlier than I did :-D

TRUE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I haven't worn Mizunos for a few years now but was very disappointed in how they fell apart with little mileage. Has anyone tried Asics lately? They used to be my go to shoe.

ETA - Has anyone tried the Altra Solstice? It seems to get good reviews and is lighter and has a lower stack than the Escalante.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    I haven't worn Mizunos for a few years now but was very disappointed in how they fell apart with little mileage. Has anyone tried Asics lately? They used to be my go to shoe.

ETA - Has anyone tried the Altra Solstice? It seems to get good reviews and is lighter and has a lower stack than the Escalante.

Asics were my go to until they went to a 3/4 stitch for the sole, They are going back to 100% stitching this spring d/t overwhelming (negative) customer response. The 3/4 stitching makes the toe box much shallower and therefor rubs more.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    @shanaber my road shoes are Asics Kayanos (I have 2 pairs). They work really well for me.

@RunsOnEspresso My trail shoes are Saucony Peregrin Ice+7. 4mm drop though, and the week I hurt myself (the first time) I went for a 10km trail run, then ran 8 km in my 6mm 'fast' shoes.

@mbaker566 My Saucony road shoes seemed to die around 300 km. Blah. Never again.

@rheddmobile Typically I don't need to run on road to get to trail - there's parking lots or grassy shoulders if I have to take a sidewalk to a trailhead. Wonder how the Speedcross would do in snow & ice? I like my Peregrines but have concerns they're exacerbating my foot issues.

@Avidkeo GOOD LUCK!!!

I haven't gotten to try them in snow or ice yet. I think they would be great in snow. However the reviews on ice are mixed - since they have less surface area some people find them not ideal on hard slick surfaces such as glare ice or large wet stones, others say they are fine. I do know they work really well on wet slimy boardwalk, which is too slippery for all my other trail shoes.

Do you have REI where you are? I have definitely started taking advantage of their 1 year run in it and if you don't like it, return for full price policy.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I didn't "join" this month, as I am on vacation, but I have been consistent with my 15K training, in fact, last week, I accomplished something that I didn't think I would do..in fact even that morning I attempted to talk myself out of! I ran 5 miles!! It has been cccccold up here, and the hills...I love it!! Not wanting to get on the plane on Monday morning.

I DO have a question to the experienced cold runners in the group here. In the past few weeks, I have gotten used to running in 20 & 30 F temps, (with feels like in teens), and last week, there was still some left over snow on yards, but we are expecting 1-2 inches of snow starting overnight & throughout the morning , with me having a scheduled 6 mile run tomorrow. I do not have access to a dreadmill, nor do I have cleats for my shoes. What do I need to do to run? I already have told myself not to expect too much, if I don't make the full 6 due to weather, then I have to accept it, but I want to stay as much on plan as possible. I have plans in the afternoon & evening, so a later run isn't really feasible

11/1 - 2.01
    11/6 - 4.01
    11/8 - 3.01
    11/10 - 5.01
    11/13 - 4.01
    11/15 - 3.10 miles - 21.16 mile

Running in newly fallen snow is not bad. Probably be like running in soft sand so expect your pace to suffer and your legs to get an extra work out.

You will want to run when it is light enough to see ice. Without cleats, avoid the ice best you can, and when you can not WALK over the ice. You can make screw shoes if you have an old pair of running shoes around. They will help but 1-2 inches of snow is very runnable if you take your time and pay attention.

If it is sunny, the snow will make it much brighter. Wear sunglasses, polarizing if you have them.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    @PastorVincent Also, given how old your shoes are maybe that's why they're lasting so long! The newer models just don't hold up as well as they used to... ;)

My current pair is probably getting ready to consider a change honestly. They are pretty much slicks now and ice is coming so yeah. Probably should change them. At some point. Maybe.

@Mbaker566 and @sarahthes this is what Scaony's look like when they get a bit long in the tooth...
    y7zm39vdovtw.jpg
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    11/1 - 0 km
    11/2 - 12 miles
    11/3 - 0 km
    11/4 - 13.1 km
    11/5 - 0km
    11/6 - 8.5 miles
    11/7 - 12 miles
    11/8 - 10 miles
    11/9 - Escape Room - 0km
    11/10 - 1 hr @ 6.5 mph 3% grade
    11/11 - 11 miles.
    11/12 - Cardologist appoint bah
    11/13 - Blasted Google ruined everything
    11/14 - 11 miles
    11/15 - 0 km
    11/16 - 12.5 miles
    Upcoming Races:

Steel Challange 5k - May 2019
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 2019
    Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Race - May 2019

--More as I find them - need to find a nice trail race

2021 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

2019 GOAL: Knock a full hour off my 50k time at Glacier Ridge.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    11/1 = 18 miles
    11/2 = rest day
    11/3 = rest day
    11/4 = 16 miles
    11/5 = rest day
    11/6 = rest day
    11/7 = 3 miles
    11/8 = rest day
    11/9 = 15 miles
    11/10 = 10 miles
    11/11 = rest day
    11/12 = 16 miles
    11/13 = rest day
    11/14 = 11 miles
    11/15 = sick day
    11/16 = 8 miles

Still running. Still not keeping up with this thread in November. Complicated schedule because life... Ugh.

November goal miles = ? / 93 miles-to-date

Upcoming Races:
    11/22 = Georgetown Turkey Trot
    12/15 = Stars at Night Half
    1/26/19 = Miami Tropical 5K
    1/27/19 = Miami Marathon
    3/10/19 = ZOOMA half (potentially)
    5/4/18 = Wisconsin Marathon (mittens challenge part 1)
    5/5/18 = Kalamazoo Marathon (mittens challenge part 2)
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options

I DO have a question to the experienced cold runners in the group here. In the past few weeks, I have gotten used to running in 20 & 30 F temps, (with feels like in teens), and last week, there was still some left over snow on yards, but we are expecting 1-2 inches of snow starting overnight & throughout the morning , with me having a scheduled 6 mile run tomorrow. I do not have access to a dreadmill, nor do I have cleats for my shoes. What do I need to do to run? I already have told myself not to expect too much, if I don't make the full 6 due to weather, then I have to accept it, but I want to stay as much on plan as possible. I have plans in the afternoon & evening, so a later run isn't really feasible

If you have a pair of trail shoes, wear them. They will give you better traction in fresh snow than road shoes will. Otherwise, it's simple a process of learn by doing to run in the snow. Expect it to be more effort for a slower pace, even with trail shoes or cleats. Avoid ice to the extent you can; it is possible to learn to run on ice, but you may fall down a few times in the learning process.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo Awesome job!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo Congratulations on what sounded like a great race!!!
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Well I went, I ran, I kicked some butt!

First tl/Dr it was awesome, so much fun and I really enjoyed it! When can I sign up for next year? Haha.

So I didn't sleep great last night, everytime I was nearly asleep my brain did something weird and woke me up. I think i finally got to sleep around 11. DD 2 woke me up at 4 coming up our stairs and that was pretty much me awake - alarm was set for 5:15. So I managed to doze and woke with a start right before my alarm went off. Got up, made breakfast and had to keep visiting the bathroom - tummy was feeling a bit squiffy. Got dressed, managed to eat my porridge and headed out the door.

Got to the start line at 6:30 - I was the 3rd person in the parking area. So I went for a bit of a walk around, and went to the bathroom again (coffee and water...). Finally bumbed into my boss who was doing it too, left my car keys in his bag to be taken to the finish line, bathroom again then lined up.
    rvvry7q0q4s3.jpg

Nerves started ramping up, and finally we were off. I put myself toward the back of the first 1/3. It was so slow getting over the start, apparently 2,000 people were running.

So my goal was to just ignore everyone else and stick to a pace of ~6min/k (happy if I went slower) for first km, then drop slightly for next 7,and increase pace as I felt for the last half. The first 7k is mostly up hill with flats. And I did reasonably well doing that. Then we got to the top and i had to try get a pic... Not great but hopefully you get the idea.
    2kn9uyz3ppm6.jpg

My next km was the beginning of the downhill and I went way too fast, toward the end I started to get a really bad stitch in my left side. I tried stretching out as I was running but no joy. Finally I slowed to a walk for a few seconds and that helped. So I had a jellybean and kept running, but slowed my pace. Just after the 8k mark was a water station so I stopped and had a full cup of water, then kept going. With my slower pace that seemed to help and at the 9k mark I was no longer in pain.

The rest was fairly uneventful. At they had orange slices, i made a point of grabbing one and that was good. Then the final 4k was heading into town. There was a definite party atmosphere, someone had put chalk games on the footpath, and inspirational messages. There were a lot of spectators cheering you on, it was so much fun. I was feeling great and really picked up my pace the last 3km, hitting 5:42, 5:29 and 5:20. Going into the final chute and across the finish line I KNOW I had a huge grin on my face. It just felt so awesome.
    ifgxgih22bah.jpg oops my top was soaked and I was getting cold so I changed my top before remembering to get a pic!

I forgot to stop my watch after crossing the line so my time there is 2:03:34. Still waiting for net time but probably around 2:03:20ish

Finally I had to stop and get this pic- there was a bagpiper piping! It was so cool!
    t341vqt4necy.jpg

Thank you all for the advice, encouragement and everything! Loved it!

Now waiting to hear how @ContraryMaryMary did at Waihi

Awesome! Sounds like you had a wonderful time! Congrats!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @Avidkeo Yay! You did it! W00T!