November 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @shanaber @amymoreorless I just ordered them from Zappos. I usually buy from Brooks but they sold out in like 2 minutes. I figured everywhere else did but for some reason, I googled today and Zappos still had them. I can't wait for Christmas races!

Oh, you ordered them! I am jealous. I wanted to but, apparently, I spent all my money accidentally signing up for three races. Sigh.

According to my husband, family, friends, acquaintances and coworkers, I might go a “little” bit overboard for the holidays. Lol

I need to find a Christmas running outfit for my December half. I am trying to decide if this kind of thing would cause chafing over 13 miles. I have a friend who sews.....

g2yqdqxebqii.jpeg

If you do something like that, you definitely need to get a bunch of runner's flashing lights to put on that tree.

They come in sets of red & green! I got accused of being a Christmas tree last winter ;)
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @shanaber @amymoreorless I just ordered them from Zappos. I usually buy from Brooks but they sold out in like 2 minutes. I figured everywhere else did but for some reason, I googled today and Zappos still had them. I can't wait for Christmas races!

Oh, you ordered them! I am jealous. I wanted to but, apparently, I spent all my money accidentally signing up for three races. Sigh.

According to my husband, family, friends, acquaintances and coworkers, I might go a “little” bit overboard for the holidays. Lol

I need to find a Christmas running outfit for my December half. I am trying to decide if this kind of thing would cause chafing over 13 miles. I have a friend who sews.....

g2yqdqxebqii.jpeg

If you do something like that, you definitely need to get a bunch of runner's flashing lights to put on that tree.

@MobyCarp Yes, absolutely. It’s a nighttime half. Blinky Christmas lights are a priority for everyone’s safety. The race organizers recommend headlamps but I bet I can get away with a strand, or 5, of LED Christmas lights.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,392 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I just bought a pair of the Turtle Fur version. I have large hands and I'm hoping that the turtle fur XL are a bit bigger than the L version of what I linked to.

Somehow i think "Turtle fur" and "pocket nuts".... Would be a marketing gold mine. @shanaber ? Pocket fur? Turtle nuts???? Turtle shaped furry pocket for your snacks... Gah! Awesome! Make it runner friendly!
    @Elise4270 - Can you imagine the ads for these? :lol:

• shanaber
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    So I am doing some retail therapy by looking at new running shoes... no purchasing until I can actually try shoes on again but I found these and I think they are so cute - especially if one were running in a holiday race like the one I would normally run in December!
    4bicj1t3hrxw.jpeg
    They are a bit pricey for 'holiday runners' but I think I would wear them everywhere for the entire month :)

@shanaber I never realized that I need a pair of ugly Christmas sweater running shoes until right now... ;)

Look, there is even a matching running outfit!

9y93x0pj470s.jpg

Don't worry guys. They have ugly Christmas sweater running shorts for you too:

lstgavxcw5il.jpg

Oh! I love that tank top and sleeves! With the shoes!!
    I have no need for the mittens or hat and don't really like running in skirts... But I need the tank, sleeves and shoes! Doesn't matter that I can't run until January - I may just decide to wear it all of January anyway when I can run again!
  • shanaber
    Options
    Okay @runsonespresso - I will checkout Zappos. I do have a birthday coming up!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I just bought a pair of the Turtle Fur version. I have large hands and I'm hoping that the turtle fur XL are a bit bigger than the L version of what I linked to.

Somehow i think "Turtle fur" and "pocket nuts".... Would be a marketing gold mine. @shanaber ? Pocket fur? Turtle nuts???? Turtle shaped furry pocket for your snacks... Gah! Awesome! Make it runner friendly!

What turtle are these made from? I mean there are leatherback turtles which presumably make leather, and then there’s tortoiseshell from their landlubber cousins, but furry turtles?

On another note, I just looked them up in the U.K. There appears to be a ‘hand orientation’ option. What does that mean? Are there people with two left hands? Two right? Back to front?

ff43vrnk6rre.png

• mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    November Running Challenge
    Goal: 40 km
    Done: 41/40

29/11/18 Run 6 km
    26/11/18 Run 4 km
    22/11/18 Run 5 km PD 1
    21/11/18 Run 7 km
    20/11/18 Run 7 km
    19/11/18 Run 6 km
    16/11/18 Run 6 km
    Finished!! :blush:
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    The best part about running in the cold is that other people think you are totally badass. Other runners give you the special nod, people in passing cars stare, neighbors comment about how impressed they are.

And that is the real reason we run outside in the winter.

We are really limited right now - 2 days of freezing rain - started as ice pellets turned into rain then back to ice pellets and just to make the trails and roads more of a challenge it transitioned to snow.
    Picture a layer of ice pellets that will break away like marbles under your foot sitting on top a layer of ice covered in snow. Just about dreadmill conditions. Most of our little club decided it was a good day week for cross training at the pool. So probably no runs for the rest of the week. :(:s

Usually we are -10 to -15C with lots of clear skies and bright sunshine at this time of year, so once the trails/roads get compacted or plowed in a few days they are fantastic. This promises at least 1-2 weeks of nasty conditions.

@7lenny7 glad to hear you are seeing a progressive in your healing and recovery. The K ster must be getting cabin fever from not running the trails.

Looking forward to see Santa Shuffle Fun Run Pictures with the special collection of Christmas Themed clothing. Now if you can find a hat/toque with LED flashing lights

Freezing rain is a Memphis specialty, usually we get one or two bouts every year of being encased in ice. I tried to run on it last year and my Brooks Cascadias just did not have traction for the task. This year I have a pair of beat up Goretex shoes which I'm going to make into screw shoes, and see if that's better.

So I did some reading about deer, and it turns out the reason the park is full of bucks is that it's rutting season. So that's the reason we saw a bunch of bucks wandering around in broad daylight in the middle of the road giving people the stare down. They will probably be happy to pummel you if you mess with them. I'm just glad we didn't have an issue yesterday!
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 I don't know who "wooed" your post, but I just added an "inspiring". Because I read it this morning during breakfast and decided I should take the bike to work. My first bike ride in November!
    Okay, it was also one of the first mornings in November without snow or rain, but without reading your post I might still have defaulted to the car after four weeks of (partly) weather-justified lazyness.
    It's cold, but I have some gloves that work amazingly well for cycling, so I didn't freeze too much.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

Yes i can.... Silly furry turtle pooping treats for runners.. the runners gobbling them up in a Pac-Man fashion. The turtle would be mysteriously sexy. He'd always beat the hare. Maybe be the most mysterious turtle on Earth...
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 I don't know who "wooed" your post, but I just added an "inspiring". Because I read it this morning during breakfast and decided I should take the bike to work. My first bike ride in November!
    Okay, it was also one of the first mornings in November without snow or rain, but without reading your post I might still have defaulted to the car after four weeks of (partly) weather-justified lazyness.
    It's cold, but I have some gloves that work amazingly well for cycling, so I didn't freeze too much.

Now see, that inspires me! It just keeps going :)
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    One of my fun 5ks offered a Mrs Claus set. I bought it. I don't care about the tutu (wore enough of those in ballet) but wanted the sleeves and socks.