Split between weights and aerobics for losing weight

Options
I'm trying to lose ~30 lbs over the next 6 months give or take (Male, 5'7", 182lbs). I haven't worked out for years but got back to proper nutrition and workout regime 3 months ago and this is working pretty well so far. My main goal is weight loss but small muscle gain would be nice.

My schedule is very busy (like most of us...) so I basically have 2-3 times per week 50 min (net gym time) and one 1:15-1:30hr slot over the weekend. How would you split the time between weights and aerobics?
What I'm doing at the moment is:
- For the weekend slot I do 40 min weights (all muscle groups), 40 min aerobics
- For mid-week I do weeks of 20 min weights, 30 min aerobics OR one 50 min weights and two 50 min aerobics

I'm mostly concerned which of the two mid-week options are better (or if you have other suggestions). Would also appreciate understanding the reasoning behind recommending a certain regime, so I can also learn and not just follow advice :)

Replies

• nickb2124
    nickb2124 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your response. I have tried squeezing in more exercise but it doesn't work for me at this point. I'm also aware that nutrition is the more significant part and I feel I'm covered on that front. I'm mostly looking for advice on how to split 3 50-min mid-week gym visits between weights and cardio.
  • jasondjulian
    jasondjulian Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Personally if it were me, with my goals and current weight and weight loss progress, I'd use those three 50 minute slots to do a specific 3x a week weight training program and spend half of the time on the weekend on cardio and spend the other half taking a well deserved nap.

Not joking, sleep will help a lot in repairing muscle damage from the workouts and restoring your most likely overworked and stressed out mind.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    This kind of echoes what has been said but I suggest picking a 2 or 3 day per week full body program. If there's time when you complete the lifting session, add some cardio and yes do cardio on the other days when you have workout time.

We can't really say do weights for X minutes because that's not how a good progressive program works--your progress will be more dependent on performing the lifts for the right reps, sets, adding weight, how much rest time between sets you use, etc. If you get to the point where your rest between sets is long enough that you can't fit in the workout, you might switch programs, but cross that bridge when you get to it.
  • nickb2124
    Options
    Very interesting feedback, thanks! I would think that for weight loss, the balance should be more cardio than weights, but seems that everyone is suggesting weights first, and fill the remaining time with cardio. Why is that?
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    nickb2124 wrote: »
    Very interesting feedback, thanks! I would think that for weight loss, the balance should be more cardio than weights, but seems that everyone is suggesting weights first, and fill the remaining time with cardio. Why is that?

Because resistance work helps you retain muscle while losing and will give you a firmer physique.

Really, your loss is going to come from your calorie deficit, not necessarily any specific exercise you do. Your deficit is already built into your calorie goal on MFP.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Because, as has been said, type of exercise is not important for weight loss and preserving muscle mass in a deficit is important. As was said, the primary driver for weight loss is your diet. You acknowledged that.

That being said, do what ever exercise suites your fitness goals and use diet for weight loss.
  • nickb2124
    Options
    Got it. Though I do have to say, that sticking to MFP calorie goal is much easier in my cardio days...
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Got it. Though I do have to say, that sticking to MFP calorie goal is much easier in my cardio days...

Yes, it gives you more of a buffer. For me, muscle mass is so hard to gain and so easy to lose. That's where my focus is when cutting.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Remember when you eat back exercise calories there is no difference in net calories from doing cardio or weights. Neither option is "better for weight loss" when it doesn't affect your calorie balance.

You didn't mention any particular CV fitness goals and with limited time then it's sensible to focus on the exercise that supports the goals you have stated. Plus you have said you have limited gym time, cardio doesn't have to be done in a gym so you could squeeze it in somewhere else perhaps?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options
    FWIW, this is the weight training/strength training thread that I mentioned in my earlier post on this thread, but couldn't link at the time:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

I'd go back and edit the PP, but it's too old, and I can't. :)
  • nickb2124
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Remember when you eat back exercise calories there is no difference in net calories from doing cardio or weights. Neither option is "better for weight loss" when it doesn't affect your calorie balance.

You didn't mention any particular CV fitness goals and with limited time then it's sensible to focus on the exercise that supports the goals you have stated. Plus you have said you have limited gym time, cardio doesn't have to be done in a gym so you could squeeze it in somewhere else perhaps?

I understand why eating back theoretically means it is the same, but in reality having extra 400 calories (cardio over weights) to eat makes it significantly easier, at least for me.

Excuse my newbie ignorance - what do "CV fitness goals" mean?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

I understand why eating back theoretically means it is the same, but in reality having extra 400 calories (cardio over weights) to eat makes it significantly easier, at least for me.

Understand - I'm the same actually. I get hunger out of proportion to the actual low calorie burn from strength training but low to moderate cardio (I cycle a lot) is the opposite, not much hunger but lots of calories burned to boost my allowance. When I need to lose weight I find it far easier to take a cut off a high calorie allowance boosted by exercise.

"CV fitness goals" as in cardio vascular or aerobic fitness.
    To echo what the wise Anne said in her post above there's a strong lifting bias on these boards but I have both cardio fitness and goals so my training involves both types of exercise.
    Being semi-retired I'm not time-crunched though so can invest a lot of time in my hobbies.
  • AnnPT77
    Options

What is your "cardio"? (People use the term for a huge range of things. Some have a bit more strength-maintenance potential than others.)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

Another vote for using gym time for weights and squeezing cardio in outside the gym.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great info!!!!
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I vote for a split between cardio and weights in your workout days. You might also be surprised how easy it is to fit in a 30 minute walk at home for more cardio in your non-workout days. That might even mean a ten minute walk in the morning, another at lunch and another after you get home.
  • nickb2124
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    What is your "cardio"? (People use the term for a huge range of things. Some have a bit more strength-maintenance potential than others.)

Alternating between stationary bike, elliptical, treadmill (running 5-6mph)

• AnnPT77
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Alternating between stationary bike, elliptical, treadmill (running 5-6mph)

Not a huge strength component in that, then - a little lower body, but slow contribution to muscle at best, and nothing meaningful for the upper body. Adding some explicit strength work is probably a good plan, given what you said about your goals. I'll go with what I suggested before, then: Time efficient beginner strength program, fill in with cardio. The strength part will burn a few calories, just not as many as the cardio.

Best wishes!