Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Unpopular opinions

Options

Replies

• RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    Here is mine... men typically underestimate their own bodyfat percentage by at least 5%... Sometimes much more. ;)

I do a bunch of intakes where I ask, on the honor system, "how tall are you, how much do you weigh"....Guys lie lie lie. I believe that if I asked guys their body fat, I'd get the same big time underestimates.

I'd bet that a lot of them are not lying on purpose. In the house I live in, I am the only one who even owns a scale and knows his true (within the week) waist/neck measurement. Most of my friends, with the exception of those who go to the gym, haven't stepped on a scale since their last doctor visit.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    A trainer told me "you have to hate fat people because you can't be something you hate" and I've been struggling with my self esteem since

Yikes. I'm so sorry they said that to you.
  • madelaine_xo
    madelaine_xo Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Eating under your daily caloric need is fine if you recognize that it is not sustainable and you shouldn't do it often. I think we're told by media that we are supposed to be constantly eating something to be healthy but that is literally the most unhealthy some people could be doing ...
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    A trainer told me "you have to hate fat people because you can't be something you hate" and I've been struggling with my self esteem since

Wow, he isn't a nice person.

I hope you aren't still lining his pockets?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

I'm so sorry that a thoughtless and rude comment has stuck with you for so long. We (people) are so much more than the size or shape of our body. We know this logically, but unfortunately there seems to be an illogical component to our thinking that sometimes override the logical part. I hope someday you are able to get past it. (((hugs)))